Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pregnant?

foxxriver
January 13th, 2007, 12:26 PM
My Staffadshire Bull Terrior, female, 3 yrs old is acting very different. She loves squeeky toys a rips them to bits till they squeek nomore. Couple of days ago my sister who often has Dudey stay over bought her a new squeeky. This toy has not been destroyed. All of a sudden she is acting like its very precious. Crying all the time she is. Not eating much. Wants it back if u take it from her and is ever so gentle with it. Is she having a phantom pregnancy? I have not seen her with another dog nor anyone else. But when she is at my sisters she plays with another dog from next door to her. Could she be pregnant by him? She's never left alone for long with him. :confused:

Hunter's_owner
January 13th, 2007, 02:49 PM
If she isn't spayed, there is definetly a chance that she could be pregnant!!!

Please see a vet right away, only a vet can tell for sure, and please get your dog spayed:sad:

jesse's mommy
January 13th, 2007, 02:51 PM
First welcome to the board, we would love to see pictures. I also wanted to give you a heads up that most people on this forum devote a lot of time if not all their time to rescuing animals leading to them being very pro spay/neuter.

So, aside from that, can you answer a few questions? First, is your pet spayed? I'm assuming not, but need to ask. Second, has she been in heat and when was her last heat? Third, is the neighbors dog neutered? And just so you know, you said that they aren't left alone together very long, well, it doesn't take long to complete the deed. You might want to take your baby to a vet and have her checked out. They really are the only ones that can tell you if she's pregnant or not and also consider asking them about spaying her.

foxxriver
January 15th, 2007, 02:56 PM
Hi, thanks for the welcome. I will put a picture up of Dudey soon.
Well, u asumed right. Dudey isn't spayed and i was hoping to let her have a litter one day. I have tried before but Dudey was having none of it. So, i left it for the time being. Dudey was last on heat 2 months ago. There is no sign of her being on heat now.

The update on her so far is she is still acting in this strange way. I bought her a new toy, different colour this time, a red one (green was the last one if i hadn't mentioned it). She has now abandoned the green for the red one????

I'm going to ring the vets first thing.

Thanks for advice, don't mind hearing more :dog: :o

~michelle~
January 15th, 2007, 03:00 PM
what kind of dog is she? does she have awards? is she a champion? this is a pro spay/neuter site and only believe in breeding for betterment of the breed not for fun or profit. i hope you reconsider letting her have a litter, there are hundreds of thousands of homeless animals in north america.

foxxriver
January 15th, 2007, 03:09 PM
Like I said I was hoping! That isn't definate.

In my first post i mentioned her breed.

I don't live in North America.

I came on here for advice about her behaviour and I understand all your concerns. And I am taking notice. But I'm starting to feel I am a bad dog owner now. :confused: :confused:

technodoll
January 15th, 2007, 03:38 PM
foxxriver, most folks think the way you do about their dogs... because they don't think of the greater repercussions of "just one cute litter". :sad: As long as you can take a good, hard look at the facts, visit a few dog shelters and see those crying faces, and realise there is NO good reason to breed your dog (millions die each year because nobody wants them...), then you will surely change your mind and be one of the BEST dog owners. please, for your dog's sake and the sake of all other animals... please get your girl spayed and aborted if she IS pregnant. :pray: :love:

heidiho
January 15th, 2007, 03:49 PM
It really doesnt matter that you dont live in N A the world just doesnt need another litter of puppies or kittens for that matter,dont you agree??

OntarioGreys
January 15th, 2007, 08:41 PM
Having a litter has no benefit to the mom, each heat cycle she has increases her odds of ending up with mammary cancer in the future.

Professional show breeders need to know the pedigrees of the dogs they are breeding, they need to know the histories to see if there was a history of health or temperment issues, your dog may be a lovely beautiful dog, but do you know if there was some problems that may have skipped one of two generations, which could end up showing up in the litter she produces, breeders also do genetic testing to ensure their dogs are clear of genetic disease before breeding, they also show the dogs in shows so as the prove they meet breed standards for build, size and temperment, a lot is consider as to what is the ideal mate for their dog, bone structure, size, meshing personalties and genetic, a puppy recieves a gene from each parent but the more dominate gene wins, ever played the card game war? Were each throws in a card and the high card wins and then goes to the winners pile, that pile is like the pup, made up of the stronger gene of each parent. So breeding to get great puppies is very much a science, some genes combined can become absolute disasters and the results can lead to severe deformities or new genetic problems and diseases, that can be passed down to future generations. Backyard breeders of purebreds with papers can unintentionally wreak havoc because to do not understand to importance of genetics, and over time with successive breedings even to well bred dogs produce future generations with problems because bad gene combos get passed down,

If you look at most large breeds, many have hip displaysia, many have von willebrands a blood clotting disorder, others proned to heart problems, and others proned to aggression. The german shepherd breed in North America over many years ended up destroyed due to genetic problems, many breeders here had to start all over again bringing dogs from Germany for their breeding programs. In cockers there is a major growing problem with rage syndrome, dane that used to have 12 to 14 year life expectencies are now dying between 6 and 8 years old. This is what results when people breed who do not understand the science of.

In nature the wolf has mother nature and instinct to help with selective breeding, only the dominant alpha female of the pack will produce pup, her mate becomes the alpha male, or another strong healthy male, it is extremely rare for the other females of the pack to produce a litter theri job is to play aunts to the alpha females pups, is there is another strong female in the pack, there may come a day when the pack will split and she become the leader of the new pack. The male deer population enters the rutting season tests of strength and health are determined thru battles to decide who is the fittest to become sire, nature also is tough, it can throw it worst at the wild population thru famine and harsh climate and this helps to weed out the weak, as a result only the best specimens survive, that is the reason you won't find a wolf with genetic hip displaysia or lot of the common problems seen in the dog population.

Leave the breeding to those who know what they are doing, and have means and time to do appropriate testing and research to produce the best doing otherwise is a diservice to your dog and her breed

~michelle~
January 15th, 2007, 10:12 PM
Like I said I was hoping! That isn't definate.

In my first post i mentioned her breed.

I don't live in North America.

I came on here for advice about her behaviour and I understand all your concerns. And I am taking notice. But I'm starting to feel I am a bad dog owner now. :confused: :confused:

I am not signifying that you are a bad owner, I am sure that you love your dog and take care of her. However there are alot of myths out there about breeding and whats good for dogs. It's tempting to have cute puppies running around and everyone thinks their dog is the greatest and should be bred. many people dont realize the horrors that are caused by people allowing their dogs to breed needlessly.
We do come across as harsh sometimes and i apologize for that however many of us are involved with rescues, or have rescue dogs/cats and see the horrors that can happen, and being animals lovers we can get a little emotional, but we really would just like to educate about responsible animal ownership. we hate to see more dogs go through what so many already have.
the amount of homeless animals is a world wide problem. england has serveral homeless animals as well as north america.if there are hundreds of thousands of animals looking for a home in one country imagine how many there are world wide. please reconsider breeding your dog.

foxxriver
January 16th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Ok guys, I hear you. I promise not to breed Dudey. I understand all the best reasons not to. And, yes, your all right. I have had those thoughts myself against it.

I will update you on vet visit, couldn't get an early appointment.

Be back soon, fingers crossed Dudey is on a daft mission with squeeky toys lol. :o :p :dog: :fingerscr

hazelrunpack
January 16th, 2007, 02:43 PM
If she was last in heat 2 months ago, then this could be a false pregnancy--she would have been delivering soon if she had been bred. :shrug: Your vet will be able to tell... :fingerscr

Or, if she was accidentally bred during her last cycle, you'll know for sure in a very little bit. :eek: Be sure to watch her for signs of labor and get advice from the vet if she starts to deliver...

Has she filled out over the past couple of months? This might indicate an accidental breeding...

Hope this is just a false pregnancy and nothing serious :fingerscr Good luck at the vet!

Shamrock
January 16th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Foxxriver, that's a very wise decision you have made.:highfive:
I wish you the best of luck with your girl, and will watch for your update on her vet visit.

Maya
January 16th, 2007, 02:54 PM
Ok guys, I hear you. I promise not to breed Dudey. I understand all the best reasons not to. And, yes, your all right. I have had those thoughts myself against it. :thumbs up

Good luck.:fingerscr

Golden Girls
January 16th, 2007, 03:01 PM
:highfive: way to go Foxxriver and for Dudey. Hope to see pictures as well :fingerscr