Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Blue Heeler and rocks

Wesley
March 15th, 2004, 10:02 PM
I just got a Border Collie/Blue Heeler mix. She is 3 months old and seems to be very smart. Fortuately I am retired and can walk and keep her occupied all day. I was very concerned about her chewing, biting, digging etc in the beginning but she is already settleing down. I have owned BC and Aussie Shepards before so know how smart they can be. My question....she is now bringing in pebbles and small rocks. Any suggestions on how to stop this behavior. And, no, I can't get rid of all of them in the yard short of paving it over!
I also wonder about having her dew claws removed when I have her spayed. Thanks!
Wes (AWesleyp @ aol.com)

Lucky Rescue
March 16th, 2004, 12:51 AM
Is your dog eating the rocks, or just carrying them into the house?

If she is just picking them up and bringing them in, you will need to go out with her every time and teach her "Leave It", and give her something else to chew, like a bone or a stuffed Kong.

Just curious, why do you want to have your dog's dewclaws removed?

Wesley
March 16th, 2004, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the reply on the rock carrying. Yes, she is still at the stage where she just carries them in and is not doing anything but chewing on them. I will try your idea about watching her while she is outside.
As far as the dew claws........I had read some place that they are sometimes removed .
My last dog was in a scrap with the neighbor's dog and he had his torn partially off. I was just curious about that one and wondered if there was a reason for that procedure.

Lucky Rescue
March 16th, 2004, 11:53 AM
Dewclaws are often removed on hunting dogs IF the dewclaw is very loose and floppy. This is done to reduce chance of injury if the dog is hunting in heavy bush.

If the dewclaw is FIRMLY attached, this is a very painful procedure to have it removed and I would never do it.

Just keep the nails on the declaws clipped and you shouldn't have any problem.