Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I dont know where Fuzz is

erykah1310
January 13th, 2007, 02:39 AM
I know that sounds bad, but i just went downstairs to feed the cats and Fuzz didnt come:eek: Come to think of it... I havent seen her at all this afternoon.
Guy has been in and out of the house all day... I really hope that she didnt venture outside:fingerscr

PLEASE PLEASE be hiding in the basement somewhere:pray:

TeriM
January 13th, 2007, 02:45 AM
I hate that feeling :yell: . :fingerscr that she has just found a cozy nest somewhere and is to lazy to come out.

Prin
January 13th, 2007, 02:59 AM
Hope she's ok...:goodvibes: :fingerscr

mafiaprincess
January 13th, 2007, 03:41 AM
Lissa's cat Minnow hid under a bed when we got there.. they all assumed she was in the basement. We slept in that room. Poor poor cat was stuck with us for the night and I didn't know..
4 or so am Cider started to growl. Guess she finally figured out we weren't alone, but I wasn't sure if it was something outside...

She hid so well that when they'd looked under the bed for her they didn't find her.. So don't fret yet, Fuzz may be playing the stealth version of hide n seek.

chico2
January 13th, 2007, 09:12 AM
Hope so:fingerscr :cat: :fingerscr

jesse's mommy
January 13th, 2007, 11:14 AM
Erykah, did you find Fuzz yet?

Frenchy
January 13th, 2007, 12:15 PM
They can find hiding places that we don't even know existed. Monsieur le chat wasn't coming out of his hiding place when family left after x-mas. I started to turn the house upside down. He managed to open the closet door in the guest bedroom and hide in a box.:shrug: I hope Fuzz found herself a box...

erykah1310
January 13th, 2007, 01:20 PM
still no fuzz :o :sad:
Im heading outside for a walk around to see if shes out there:fingerscr

gomez
January 13th, 2007, 02:01 PM
Maybe take a tin of tuna with you?

When our kitties used to hide I used to walk around the flat with an open tin of tuna - they would turn up PDQ!

Here Fuzz Fuzz Fuzz......:cat:

CyberKitten
January 13th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Catrs are wonderful at hiding and finding the smallest tiny corners - and remember if they do manage to somehow sneak outside , cats who always in the house (the majority these days I assume, or at least of people on sites like these) act quite differently than those who are so called "outdoor cats" so searching for them requires one to think differently. Also, cats never venture very far - 95% who somehow get outside end up in the same block or grid as their territory so I would not fret too much yet.

Good luck - hope you find her soon!!! She is prob watching every step, hiding behind thew dryer or something.

hazelrunpack
January 13th, 2007, 04:10 PM
Any sign of her yet, Erykah?

erykah1310
January 13th, 2007, 05:01 PM
No nothing yet... im really getting worried:sad:

chico2
January 13th, 2007, 05:06 PM
Oh Erykah,did you check ALL your closets,your dryer,drawers,cabinets...my Vinnie loves to sneak in to the closet,then after a while I'll hear this crying coming from somewhere...:yell:
If she got out,I am sure she is not gone far,she's not an outdoor cat,right??
Hope you find her:fingerscr :cat:

Frenchy
January 13th, 2007, 05:06 PM
Maybe she's still inside. :fingerscr Can you leave food outside ?

Hunter's_owner
January 13th, 2007, 06:17 PM
Oh Erykah, I hope she turns up soon:fingerscr :pray:

erykah1310
January 13th, 2007, 06:25 PM
No she isnt an outside cat, she does go out in the summer with me and sticks around the yard. ( much like yours seem to do Chico) other times she is out on her harness.

I Have left food in the infamous cat shed ( where they all "appear" from)

I searched my house high and low, its not like her to hide in here.:sad:

Im gonna head back out tomorrow and see what happened with the food, and see if shes around. Its dark now and too dang scary out there for me.:eek:

Frenchy
January 13th, 2007, 06:35 PM
Its dark now and too dang scary out there for me.:eek:

What are you scared about ? :confused:

erykah1310
January 13th, 2007, 06:39 PM
The coyotes and wolves that frequently come around. I dont like wandering out to the shed in the dark..... Its quite a ways from the house and there is no hydro out there.:eek:

Frenchy
January 13th, 2007, 06:42 PM
oh ! ok, I tought you were afraid of the bogeyman or something :p

erykah1310
January 13th, 2007, 06:45 PM
There has been sightings of the boogey man or men here before....:eek:
However as long as they get the air compressors, trike parts, screens from the windows in the trailer( house windows sitting in the trailer), chainsaws, power tools, and siding and soffit and facia. They dont come in the house ( cause thats where all the dogs are)

Yup we get our stuff ripped off quite freqently around here while we are sleeping.
My big mean dogs.... dont even bark.:rolleyes:

cpietra16
January 13th, 2007, 09:05 PM
Unless something got your cat....I REALLY HOPE NOT:pray: she probably can even hear you call for her. She may have been chased and is in hiding, in which case she will only come when the coast is clear...I hope she shows up in the morning

mesaana
January 13th, 2007, 11:54 PM
:fingerscr that Fuzz shows up in the morning...

Shamrock
January 14th, 2007, 12:11 AM
Oh, I'm sorry to hear your kitty is still missing. Sounds like she must be outside, but cant be far away.

This might sound a strange question... but could she have jumped into your car, even into the trunk? I've seen cats do this.

:candle: Positive thoughts for Fuzz to return home quickly Erykah. Usually that is the outcome.. they return home on their own when they feel safe.

I had one of mine arrive back home after six days. None the worse for wear... like he'd been out for an evening stroll.
I'd been totally stricken with fear I'd never see him again, that he couldnt possibly manage out there in the scary outdoors. How he did,and where he got to remains a mystery.:confused:

erykah1310
January 14th, 2007, 03:28 PM
:sad: still nothing :sad:

The food remained untouched in the shed:sad:

I'll keep everyone posted as much as possible

chico2
January 14th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Oh no Erykah,is it really cold any snowy where you are???
Poor Fuzz,I hope she's ok and will be back inside soon:fingerscr :cat:

erykah1310
January 14th, 2007, 04:43 PM
Its -4 right now. So not that bad for coldness... there is no snow falling "yet"
I was just out with the dogs and nothing again.:sad:

Shamrock
January 14th, 2007, 04:55 PM
I dont know if you're in the city or a rural area erykah, but are there neighbour carports, garages or other outbuildings that she might have become trapped in? If you do have neighbours closeby, going door to door gets more people on the lookout.
I sure hope Fuzz is found soon.:fingerscr

erykah1310
January 14th, 2007, 04:57 PM
I am rural, the only places i can think she could have gone, is off to visit some bad @ss barn boys down the road.. ( she is spayed though) If nothing by tomorrow im going to take a drive and let the neighbours know shes missing.

Frenchy
January 14th, 2007, 06:43 PM
I'm so sorry Erykah :sad: But maybe she's near your neighbors ? Maybe they took her in ? :fingerscr

jessi76
January 14th, 2007, 06:54 PM
omg erykah, I'm so sorry your kitty is MIA. Have you considered bringing the can opener outside?? ya, sounds far fetched, but whenever I start my can opener up, my cats COME RUNNING to my feet, anticipating tuna. just a thought. did you crinkle a food or treat pouch? (my cats also run when I open a bag of treats - anything for food!)

keep us posted plz

Maya
January 14th, 2007, 07:18 PM
I keep checking to see if you've found her.:sad: I'd consider signs at this point and knocking on doors etc.. (not sure if that would help in your area) I've had them come back after a week though, I think it had been a really bad spook and then case of hiding out. I hope that's all it is but it's still a constant worry I know.:grouphug: :fingerscr :fingerscr

cpietra16
January 14th, 2007, 07:21 PM
This may sound morbid, but when cats feel sick or dying,they go into hiding and they hide in very very small places. Is it possible that your cat may be hiding somewhere in the house?

Inisfad
January 16th, 2007, 03:35 PM
I don't see any news on this for a couple of days. Is everything OK? Did you find her? I hope so. I've been reading this without posting as you seemed to have good support from everyone, but now there's no news and I hope everything turned out ok.

erykah1310
January 16th, 2007, 04:52 PM
I was just popping on to say that there still is no news. The neighbours are armed with pictures of her, and I took a walk around in some of their barns. ( soooo many kitties:sad: but no Fuzz:sad: ) Im not giving up!
Its friggen cold here today -22 and tonight will be just as cold. I hope she comes home soon.:fingerscr
She is definately not in the house:sad: we have looked everywhere, closing doors while searching rooms and have had no luck.

chico2
January 16th, 2007, 04:59 PM
Aww Erykah sorry to hear that,hopefully she's safe and can find her way home:fingerscr
We had -9C today and my cats would not even come outside,they just sniffed at the patio-door and went back in.
I cannot help thinking of all the poor cats outside in-22C:sad:
Does Fuzz know her surroundings outside,or is she a stricktly inside cat??

Prin
January 16th, 2007, 05:00 PM
:fingerscr and :goodvibes: for Fuzz. :grouphug: for Erykah...

erykah1310
January 16th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Chico, she knows her immediate surroundings, but if she got frightened off by "something" and ran, she has never been off the property ( front and back yard) this is what worries me the most right now. She wouldnt know where she is.:sad:

Shamrock
January 16th, 2007, 05:22 PM
Continued positive thoughts for Fuzz to come home. You must be sick with worry... especially with such cold temps.:grouphug:

Erykah, I'm sure you've checked this...but could she be trapped up a tree? Cats usually go "under' the nearest cover when frightened, but can go up too if chased. Outdoor cats are used to navigating back down far better than primarily indoor ones.
Just a thought. I sure hope there is good news soon.:fingerscr

erykah1310
January 16th, 2007, 05:27 PM
We have searched up in the trees immediately surrounding the house... nothing. If she managed to get through the field behind the house ( 60 acres) she could be anywhere in the 100 acres of bush behind it. All around us is forest. I really hope she's in one of the barns if she is off property... Someone will see her then

CyberKitten
January 16th, 2007, 08:05 PM
Try these web sites :
http://www.pet-detective.com/
http://www.catsinthebag.org/
http://catprofiler.com/

They have some excellent ideas for frantic cat owners trying to find their kitties!! If I were you, I would be tying to trap her at this point. IF she did get out, she is prob not that far away. And many ppl have found their cats by using friendly traps (which you Case get from an SPCA or rescue group or someone you know in the rescue biz or dept of natural resources - whatever it is called there, prob call someone at the County. I know Fla is very Co. oriented so I am assuming your state may be as well but I bet your state may have some as well.( Use strong smelling tuna to lure her - you may find raccoons and a few other cats but if she can, she may eventually come.

Go door to door with a flier (flyer) with a good quality picture. Also post these at vet's offices, every rescue or SPCA and especially the pound!! Don;t just call the pound - GO there. If you call, you may just get some employee who will take a quick look around (if that) and say no, we do not have your cat.

Think like your cat!! What was going on before the great escape (if that is what it was - let's hope) that might account for your kitty either running towards or running away from something? She is an indoor cat I am assuming - this is an overview of the indoor cat profile and personality (from Cats in the Bag):

THE CLASSIC COMPLETE COVER CAT:
This is an indoor-only cat that thoroughly adores its special people (or special cat friends), and pretty much could let the rest of the world disappear if it had the choice. It has shown fear of the outdoors, runs from strangers and new cats. When outside, this type of cat will find the surroundings overwhelming, will not be very resourceful in getting food and water, is least likely to show itself, not likely to approach a stranger. If this description fits your cat the best, it has the highest chance of going into the complete cover mode.

Recommended for finding this kind of cat are searches, lots of shoe leather, trapping (some ppl even set up video surveillance) and flyers.

Setting up a trap is explained here: http://sonic.net/~pauline/house.html

Searching is outlined well here (and how to do flyers well is at the bottom - scroll): http://sonic.net/~pauline/search.html#flyer

Keep calling her and enlist ppl to help you look. If she is outside, she is not very far - unless someone picked her up and I do not want to think that. My bet is on her hiding almost in plain sight - under a nearby home or shed or grass. She is prob scared and hungry and if she take tuna with you and call for her. Since it has been a few days, she may not want to come and is likely scared which is why trapping works so well for so many ppl. Some cats really freak out when they are lost, esp if they are indoor kitties who have never been lost or have any "street smarts." Bring something of theirs with you - a fav toy, and if you do use a trap, put something really smelly of yours - like a Tee shirt that you worked out in. You want her to recognize your smell. Would any of your dogs be able to sniff her out? Some ppl use search dogs and some trained dogs are very good at finding other pets like cats or bunnies. Sometimes in a pinch, a dog who is not trained can also help. (providing the dog and cat get along!)

I'll add more later if I think if it but you should be out there now, searching and calling her! Or if there is a reason you cannot be, get as many ppl as you can. At least you live in a warm climate (you live in the south right?) - it is supposed to be -35 with the wind chill here - I would not want to loose a cat in that temp!

Good luck!! read the tips in these pages- even get a pet detective if you have to. Indoor cats need to be found asap - more so than those who can survive in the wild. (tho they all need the found as soon as possible - it is just that the personality of an indoor cat - which most cats are now - is such that the outdoors is a strange place to them and they scare more easily and may run in a shorter period of time.)

My four kitties and I will saw some prayers for you and your furry feline!!! :grouphug:

CyberKitten
January 16th, 2007, 08:11 PM
OMG, forget the southern thing - where dd I get that!! -11!! You need to get some burlap or blankets out where the barn cats and others are because she may be hiding out there somewhere. Place blankets and anything you can - old material, anything warm (maybe make a little "house" - a humane trap sounds like what I wold do at this stage. Make it warm, inviting and have food there. her fav food. Now I know with all those other cats, you will get them and they may be edging her out but you need to watch it as in look at it in the event she shows up.

Do you have a way to keep the barn kitties warm? Or a place for them to go when it is really cold like this? She may follow them but if she is a loner, she may be anywhere in the barn or in any other place on your property or neighbouring property.

Why did I think you were from the south? <Shaking head> I know my folks are in Fla and I wish I was there tonite, lol

Good luck!!!

Here is another good site with tips:

http://www.spiesonline.net/petdetective.shtml

Frenchy
January 16th, 2007, 08:15 PM
Keep hoping Erykah :fingerscr I am. :grouphug:

rainbow
January 16th, 2007, 08:43 PM
Awww, Erykah, I just read this now as I've been unable to get online. I am so sorry to hear about Fuzz. Fingers crossed that you find her soon. :fingerscr :pray: :goodvibes: :fingerscr

hazelrunpack
January 16th, 2007, 11:57 PM
I hope you find her soon, erykah! With luck, she's hanging around outside close by...in a barn or maybe under a porch? :fingerscr

:grouphug:

erykah1310
January 17th, 2007, 12:22 AM
Cyberkitten thank you for the wonderful links. Ihave been out as much as i could be, calling her setting out food, and I do have a trap set up in the far shed.

rainbow
January 17th, 2007, 01:02 AM
Sending more good vibes for you and Fuzz. :fingerscr :pray: :goodvibes: :fingerscr

TeriM
January 17th, 2007, 01:54 AM
Come home Fuzz :love: :lovestruck: :fingerscr .

Inisfad
January 17th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Sometimes people have sheds like tool sheds or stuff like that where the door is closed and the cat is stuck inside. That happened once to one of mine, where a neighbor had his door open for a while, the cat went in and then when he locked it the cat was stuck inside. So maybe if your neighbors can check in their sheds and stuff too. I pray she's ok and she comes home soon.

jessi76
January 17th, 2007, 12:21 PM
just wanted to say I'm still praying for a safe return for lil'Fuzz.... keep us posted if you can.

Kristin7
January 17th, 2007, 01:03 PM
I really hope Fuzz comes back! I have had moments of panic over the years, and one time the cat I had growing up moved into the barn across the street (she was living off the zillions of mice) and i had to go get her. She wouldn't come when called either.

A few spots I've lost cats in the house: closed up in the sleeper couch, closets, under covers on the bed, in the floor (basement access), and yes, sometimes they've slipped outside so quickly

Good luck to you!:fingerscr

erykah1310
January 17th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Update for today...

I went to town ( 2 minute drive, not impossible for a cat to walk that) and put up some flyers .:fingerscr
Offering a reward too. People around here are quite money driven so I hope i get a call:fingerscr

rainbow
January 17th, 2007, 07:00 PM
Fingers crossed for Fuzz's safe return. :fingerscr :pray: :goodvibes: :fingerscr

Inisfad
January 18th, 2007, 09:22 AM
Fingers, toes and all crossed for good news. Sometimes you never know with cats - I actually had one away for over 2 weeks, looked everywhere, called pounds and sanctuaries, etc., and then one day she strolled into the yard, not much worse for the wear, and couldn't understand what the fuss was about. So don't give up hope! :pray:

erykah1310
January 23rd, 2007, 03:17 PM
Still havent given up hope. And im not going to! :o
I had a call the other day from someone in town who thought that they had found Fuzz, ( by her picture thats posted) but it wasnt her:sad: :fingerscr next call it is:pray:

mummummum
January 23rd, 2007, 03:21 PM
:grouphug: Erykah. :grouphug:

brandynva
January 23rd, 2007, 03:39 PM
Erykah, this is the first time I've read this post and I'm so sorry for your loss. I don't want to be a damper but I have a story that might be encouraging. I had a cat that got out and was gone. She didn't come back and we thought she had found a good home somewhere else or we didn't want to consider the alternatives. Well, a year later she showed up one night when my husband got home from work! Boom, there she was. It was very bizarre and she hasn't left since. lol I hope that Fuzz has a happy ending like this, and I hope it doesn't take a year. :fingerscr

chico2
January 23rd, 2007, 05:10 PM
Still no Fuzz:sad: poor thing,she must be terrified.
I know my cats,if they got outside our property would be totally lost...you mentioning coyotes and wolves does not make it any better:sad:
She could be stuck up in a tree in the forest,that's where my cats went when my son brought his dog in to my backyard,without warning.
If she encountered a wolf or coyote,she would run for the nearest tree...I am sure:fingerscr

joeysmama
January 23rd, 2007, 05:25 PM
Oh poor Fuzz, and poor Erykah !! I'll continue praying and hope to see a thread announcing her safe return !

CyberKitten
January 23rd, 2007, 06:12 PM
She must be close to your home too - which makes it all the more frustrating!! There are many stories of cats returning home after their people have looked and looked. Just read some of the stories on those links I gave you earlier - they may not all apply to your situation but it always gives me hope should anything happen to my kitties. So, don't give up hope!! (and I'll say a little prayer - something I prob should do more of) - for you and Fuzz!!

Come home Fuzz!!!

Frenchy
January 23rd, 2007, 09:22 PM
arggg I tought she came back :sad: Keep :fingerscr Erykah. :grouphug:

Prin
January 23rd, 2007, 09:32 PM
:fingerscr :grouphug: :grouphug: