Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Wolf Hybrid Dogs

Shamrock
January 12th, 2007, 03:35 PM
The dog in question was irresponsibly "rescued" - with little thought to the special needs required, and has had a lonely and sad six months chained in a back yard. (after numerous escapes):sad:

This young female is highly skittish, wary and untrusting of people other than her owner, quite unapproachable. She is incredibly agile,and a determined escape artist. She runs, keeps on going, and is difficult to catch.

I reported this to the SPCA some months ago, as did others. and though they've been out there a number of times...nothing has changed.

Mercifully the owner has now decided to rehome this beautiful dog. He tried to surrender her to the SPCA on their last visit.. but they will not take wolf hybrids, which they determined her to be. They recomended a specialized rescue organization,which the owner is apparently working on..

With the right handling and environment, and only 2 years old, she can hopefully can have a good life, bonding socializing with people and lots of excercise.

But my observation of this dog is that her inherent wild qualites are clear, and this must make it much harder for her to assimilate into the routine of a family dog .

Why do people breed these dogs? :confused:
I know nothing about them.. but am baffled at what is to be gained by this type of cross breeding?

Prin
January 12th, 2007, 03:40 PM
It's cool. That's the only explanation I can think of. They don't think of the future ramifications for the dog, but the idea of having a half wolf must seem cool to them.

Sucks for the dogs though. Not dog enough to be a house pet, not wolf enough to be wild.:sad:

erykah1310
January 12th, 2007, 06:01 PM
Why do people breed any hybrids???? MONEY... they can tap on "wolf" in the name ( just as is done with the "oodles" , "uggles" and so on) Irresponsible, unethical money hungry people will breed anything just to get a buck. they dont care what happens to the "pups" after the money has exchanged hands, it just makes more room for another litter.:mad:
Poor dogs, deck stacked against them right from the get go:sad:

twisten
January 12th, 2007, 07:12 PM
Over the years we've had 2 dogs that were husky/wolf crosses. Mind you I think they only had 1/4 wolf in them. They were brother and sister. The place the dogs were born at wasn't much of a place. It was an old country homestead site but there were no decent buildings left. The ones that were there should have been destroyed. No one lived there and the guy who owned them would show up maybe once a week to feed them. There was a working water trough though so the dogs at least had constant access to water. The only problem we had with the pups when we got them home was that they were extremely scared. They hadn't been socialized to humans (other than the guy that owned them) or other animals at all. We spent a lot of time socializing them and never had any problems with them as they matured. The female, Sable,:rip: never once barked the whole time she was with us. If the coyotes were howling then she would howl but never bark. The male, Yukon, barked some but not much. People who didn't know them were always scared of them, because of how they looked, but they were the gentlest dogs we've ever had. In their adult life the only problem was they liked to run away. I've heard that from a lot of Husky owners though so I don't think that was necessarily the wolf in them. I'm sorry this is so long but I wanted to tell my side of what it was like having a husky/wolf cross. Oh also, we didn't pay anything for ours.

Shamrock
January 13th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Twisten.. well it sounds like these dogs worked out very well for you, though I'm guessing you were in a more rural environment.

I have to agree with Prin and Erkyah though - overall these type of hybrids have the deck stacked against them in a big way.
Where do these dogs really "fit"?

Bred to cater to those who are taken with the "idea" of such an unusual mix, some buyers may like the "prestige" of a dog that looks like a wolf.
Until it starts acting like one:sad:

~michelle~
January 13th, 2007, 02:59 PM
i know people will often walk around and say they have a wolf mix, when in reality it is just a husky or malamute mix to sound cool. :shrug: i think it would be pretty hard to tell the difference by appearence since they can look so simular

wdawson
January 13th, 2007, 03:05 PM
my old dog was lab\timberwolf and was a great family pet,never showed any aggression,not sure what the mix ratio was....looked more lab with gray mixed fur....the only wolf trait we could see was during the winter,no matter how cold it was do you think he would come inside.this dog was a free to good home dog,never had any major health problems and was with us for 13 years before he passed from a heart condition.posted a pic of him with my daughter in the pets in the snow thread.

Shamrock
January 13th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Michelle, that is very true. How can one be really sure?

The dog I mentioned in OP though has unmistakable "wild" characteristics in both appearance and manner.
Even her gait is unusual. Though I've never seen a wolf, I've seen lots of coyotes...and that's what it resembles.

Shamrock
January 13th, 2007, 03:16 PM
wdawson, I'd love to see this photo of your boy..:rip: Will have a look at this now.

~michelle~
January 13th, 2007, 03:45 PM
:shrug: people always ask us if our dog is part wolf (logan) but i dont think so :shrug: but i guess dogs who live outside with no interaction will become more wild in appearence and manners as they need to rely on instinct more to survive and have never been taught love and companionship. i would love to see some photos of wolf crosses to see if you can tell.

i usually just see idiots saying there dogs is a wolf cross and your like yeah riight:rolleyes: they always think it makes them macho. :shrug:

MyBirdIsEvil
January 13th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Most of the supposed wolf-hybrids are german shepherd/husky or other mixes that look similar to a wolf cross, so they get labeled as such.
Actual wolf-hybrids (where blood lines can be proven) are uncommon.
Most of the supposed wolf-hybrids have problems with hyperactivity and destructive tendencies not because they're part wolf (since they're usually not), but because they're usually a cross between large high energy dogs like german shepherds, huskies, malamutes, etc..
Most of the people that breed these supposedly hybrids are indescriminitly breeding wolf-like dogs together to get a dog that looks like it is part wolf, so you end up with behavioral problems in the dogs that would be associated with any puppymill or BYB.
Like michelle mentioned, these dogs can't be proven to be wolf-hybrids, though few of them may be. How do we know they are?
Also, many owners of these "wolf-hybrids", don't know anything about the needs of a high energy dog, which brings out many behavioral problems, just like when an inexperienced person owns a husky or any other very hyper working dog. Most owners aren't going to put the time into making a very high energy dog a good pet.
The problem isn't with the fact that they may or may not have wolf blood in them, but with the people who indiscriminately breed dogs (ANY dogs), and owners who don't know anything about them.

MyBirdIsEvil
January 13th, 2007, 03:57 PM
but i guess dogs who live outside with no interaction will become more wild in appearence and manners as they need to rely on instinct more to survive and have never been taught love and companionship

Exactly. I've seen all kinds of breeds that have lived outside on their own most of their lives, and they all exhibit wolf-like behavior in order to survive.

Shamrock
January 13th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Those are very good points you've covered MBIE.

The owner of the dog I referred to took her on impulse, with no real background information and less preparedness. He believed her to be a Sheperd/ Husky cross.
It was the SPCA workers.. out for many visits to his home, that assessed her as a hybrid and referred him to one of these rescue organizations for rehoming.

However, this could only be their own educated guess based on her actions.

I would agree that most "alleged" hybrid dogs instead fall under the category you cover, and she may as well.
Without any way to trace it...true lineage remains unproven.

~michelle~
January 13th, 2007, 05:14 PM
yeah logan is a husky shepard cross.... (we're pretty sure) so i guess thats why he gets mistaken all the time :shrug: food to know though thanks for the info

erykah1310
January 13th, 2007, 05:22 PM
There actually is a kennel in Alberta or BC that breeds "wolf dogs" Im not going to post the site as it would be advertising for them.

However here are some tidbits from thier site.

What is a Wolfdog? (Wolf Hybrid)

If you breed a pure Wolf and a Dog you create a wolfdog. The type of dog used in each cross must be considered when defining a Wolfdog. Because of random genetics inherited from both the dog and the Wolf, the looks and/or behavior can vary.

Percentages - (F2)

Percentage is a number set out in a pedigree. Percentage represents the possible number

of wolf genes that have been introduced in a line from the time of the first wolfdog cross through the present animal. Unless a pedigree is verified, exact percentages should not be relied upon by either the buyer or breeder.

Example of percentage:

A pure wolf bred to a pure dog will equal a 50% wolfdog because each parent contributes to the genetic makeup of the offspring:.(100% wolf ) + (100% dog) = 50% wolf and 50% dog. If you breed that 50/50 cross to a pure wolf,, you will get a 75% wolf and 25% dog: (50% wolf) + (100% wolf) = 75% wolf and 25% dog.

To calculate this is quite simple add the wolf from both parents and then divide by two. Same with the percentages of each dog breed in each animal. If you had a Hybrid that was 20% Malamute and 80% Wolf (F2) And you bred it with a 30% Wolf and 70% German Shepherd (F2). You would have a Hybrid that was 55% Wolf, 10% Malamute, and 35% German Shepherd (F3).

Example 2:

50% F1 bred to a 50% F1 = 50% F2

50% F2 bred to a 75% F1 = 62.5% F2

62.5% F2 bred to a 90% F2 = 76% F3

The F-factor or (filial) tells us the number of generations it has been since a pure wolf has been introduced in the breeding. An F1 means that one parent was pure. An F2 means that at least one grandparent was pure, an F3 means that at least one great-grandparent was pure, etc.

HIGH AND LOW CONTENT WOLFDOGS:

In order for an animal to be considered as a high content, it must have had a sufficient number of wolf genes introduced into the breeding for several generations, and inherited both physical and behavioral characteristics of a wolf. Many also believe that in order for a wolf dog cross to be considered a true "high content," that it must also have inherited the reproductive cycle of a wolf. One Heat Cycle per year,Whereas wolfdogs referred to as low content animals have had less wolf genes introduced and have inherited more dog-like attributes. Mid-contents are those that fall in between. To confuse matters even more, wolf dogs that are bred back to wolfdogs, often produce a mixed litter of pups. Some of the litter can be very wolf-like in their looks and/or behavior, while others can be almost dog-like in either looks and/or disposition. Still others of the same litter can be any mix in between. Most feel that the more generations bred away from a pure wolf, the more dog-like the offspring will be.

Low content wolfdogs can be raised in families with children, but as with any large breed dog, they should not be left unsupervised with very small children. For that matter, I wouldn't leave my husky or any other large breed dog alone with small children either. Wolfdogs do NOT make good guard dogs, or hunting dogs. Since you will be the Alpha of the pack, they will expect you to protect them, not the other way around. Since most wolves don't bark much, a hybrid with wolf behavior is likely to flee rather than guard. They are mainly good companion pets, and bond strongly to their adopted family. They do not adjust well to being moved to a new family later on, so be sure this is an animal you will want to keep

A wolfdog that has been properly trained will be much happier than one that is not, as animals that have not been trained at all often end up spending their lives stuck in a kennel or a yard. A properly trained wolfdog will be easier to handle than one that has not been. However, because of their intelligence and sometimes stubborn nature, wolfdogs can be extremely challenging to train, especially for people who have little experience with training large, stubborn dogs.

Wolfdogs can be very destructive at times, so if you get a wolfdog expect that it will chew up and destroy some of your stuff (which could include some rather expensive items - couches, for instance). If you don't think you'd be able to put up with having an animal ruin some of your possessions, consider a different type of canine. Wolfdogs also often love to dig dens and will tear up bushes and shrubs.

As well I'll show some pictures, I dont agree with this AT ALL!!! There are plenty good dogs in the world who need homes, there is NO need for cross breeding dogs and wolves or dogs and coyotes...

Shamrock
January 14th, 2007, 03:21 PM
ITA erykah... breeding the various domestic breeds to cater to whims is bad enough.. but this type of introduction is just beyond the pale imo.

Good news today, though. The dog that has been breaking my heart to see is gone. I visit my sister often, and it's her neighbour's dog. Two ladies in a van showed up over the weekend, and took her.

I am so hoping that this poor dog will now have a chance for a decent life as she so deserves.

Her pathetic existence, lying in the cold at the end of a chain was truly heartwrenching. She often howled in lonliness, frustratation and discomfort.
Lately she'd begun whimpering on and off.
A dog's way of saying... "someone help me.":sad:

I'm SO relieved that finally someone has come to do that.:fingerscr

erykah1310
January 14th, 2007, 03:54 PM
:fingerscr hopefully she is gone to a better place.:pray: where people will understand her and treat her properly.

twisten
January 15th, 2007, 10:31 PM
Shamrock, you're right they were raised in a rural environment. As to whether they had wolf or not our vet agreed they definitely had some wolf in them. People were scared of them but guard dogs they were not, they were way too friendly.

LM1313
January 15th, 2007, 11:03 PM
Wolf Park has some informative articles on wolf/dog hybrids . . .

http://www.wolfpark.org/wolfdogs/index.html

ASK YOURSELF, IF YOU HAD AN ANIMAL WHICH ATTACKED YOU AND YOU COULDN'T GO IN WITH THE ANIMAL ANYMORE, WHAT WOULD YOU DO? Would you continue to feed and care for the animal for it's natural life span? If not, do not get the animal in the first place!!!

It is not fair to the animal to get it, have problems with it, then kill it for doing what wolves can do.

Poor wolves. Why do people have to own every animal they see? Why do they have to go out and try to keep tigers in their apartments or chimps in their bedroom? We already have domesticated wolves, they're called dogs.

jennifer25
May 14th, 2012, 09:20 AM
hi i'm new to this site and this may be completely off topic but does anyone know if it is legal to own a wolf hybrid in quebec like any were in quebec i saw some one the national geographic channel and wanted one they are beautiful i like any dog with a bad rep except pitbulls i've had a bad experience with those dogs. i have a 5 year old german shepherd and want to have a pup wolf hybrid male for her to play with if it's illegal then i'll fina alother type dog but i really got my heart set on a wolf hybrid?

marko
May 14th, 2012, 10:02 AM
I'd call my municipality to find out as each municipality has its own bylaws.

In my opinion though this is a very bad idea. These animals have a tendency to be super-cute as puppies and then as they reach puberty the often show the wolf side of them. Many of them start to exhibit stalking behaviour on other pets and children.

We did a whole podcast on this with dog expert Stanley Coren. Feel free to take a listen here. Wolf hybrids and wolves as pets (http://www.pets.ca/blog/pet-podcast/58-wolf-mixes-and-wolves-are-dangerous-pets-interview-with-dr-stanley-coren/)