Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Having People Over, Some Fear Dogs.

Byrd
January 12th, 2007, 04:12 PM
So what do you do if you are having people over and there are a couple that are afraid/cautious of dogs? There is no one to babysit that night so she has to stay here, but I'm not sure what to do with her. Willow is really vocal, especially when people come into the house, but isn't nippy. I figure I will babygate her into the bedroom while everyone comes in and once she settled let her out, there are enough people to keep her away from the fearful ones.

Any advice?

Prin
January 12th, 2007, 04:30 PM
I would just let her at them.:D What we did with my man's aunt who's terrified was we had them playing outside so when they'd get remotely close to the new people, we could throw something to distract them. After a while, it's like the people had been there all along and the doggies didn't care anymore...

It also helps that my dogs know "leave her alone" and "she doesn't like dogs" (which means stay far far away from that person). :shrug:

Dracko
January 12th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Don't invite the company over. :evil:

PetFriendly
January 12th, 2007, 05:04 PM
I'm of the 'my house, my dog, get used to it' school of thought. Charley usually knows when someone isn't interested in him and will gravitate towards those he knows will pet him.

If you can put Willow in a room to get the cautious people in, that will help, then they can slowly meet Willow. These people must know you have a dog, so they know what they are getting in to.

Dog Dancer
January 12th, 2007, 05:48 PM
We had guests over last year and one lady (a girlfriend) was terrified of the dogs. At first she refused to come in the yard even (the dogs were in the house). I had to baby gate them into the bedroom while everyone had dinner, and this lady wouldn't walk past the bedroom door (with the gate) to get to the bathroom unless I held onto her. The poor dogs had to stay in the room all evening. That couple has not been invited back!:evil:

Byrd
January 12th, 2007, 05:57 PM
Yeah, I'm of the "it's her house - they call it FURniture for a reason" mind, but it's a Fantasia :o party that I'm having and it's the consultant who's weary of dogs.

Willow is the type of dog that stays away from people who aren't interested in her, I'm just worried that she'll bark her head off and cause more fear and when people show fear she barks even more, which causes more fear, and the cycle continues.

I'm going to babygate her at first and if worse comes to worse I will leash her to my side.

Prin: Is teaching "she doesn't like dogs" the same as teaching "leave it"?

phoenix
January 12th, 2007, 07:11 PM
I always have a couple of parties a year where I invite my students to dinner... and I always gate my dogs in the study. This way they can see everything that's going on but not touch! And people who like dogs can go in and visit, and others can leave them alone. Maia doesn't like new people anyway and is more relaxed when she is safe in her room. Sam loves them, but gets enough attention by hanging around at the gate. Later on in the eve when everyone is more settled and relaxed and the food is gone, I let them out and things seem to go more calmly that way. I think you've got the right idea Byrd.
I always gate them too when my friends bring their kids over. it's not a risk I'm willing to take, since my guys don't have too much experience with kids (and the kids don't necessarily know how to treat dogs) not that I think they'd ever hurt anyone, but they are big.

Prin
January 12th, 2007, 07:32 PM
I only managed to teach it because I was able to be consistent... There were a lot of dog haters in my old neighborhood so it was pretty easy (if they ever didn't listen, there were consequences from the dog haters...)...

Leave her/him alone started with intact males. Boo would be on them like white on rice, so that's where he got to practice... (It also gets reinforced when I'm crabby :o)

Don't know how you'd do it other than having a long leash on her and correcting her... :shrug:

Byrd
January 12th, 2007, 10:53 PM
Thanks guys!!! :D Guess I just needed a little reinforcement that I was doing to right thing (as I'm getting told by some people that I should take her to my mom's for the night, even though she has the scars to prove how much my mom's dog hates her).

She's bad with kids, really, really bad, and I don't know how to get her over this. She herds them, as in nips the bum. :o I'd like her to know that anyone shorter than mom is still okay, without causing a child scars for life (mental and possibly physical). You don't want to know the ruckus at Christmas when there were 15 people in my mom's house with kids. :eek: She basically spent most of the day with her hind end in the backyard and her front end in the den barking it's little brains out. She was even afraid of me! Thought it would do her good to get some kiddy socializing, but I think it may have made her a bit submissive.

Dad of Dog's
January 13th, 2007, 12:17 AM
Your plan to gate her as everyone arrives and gets settled sounds like a good one.

CyberKitten
January 13th, 2007, 02:58 PM
I agree with gating her. While I lnow there are those of us who would prefer to not invite ppl who dislike dogs (and really, I have not met that many ppl who dislike dogs tho some are genuinely afraid of certain breeds or allergic and in some cases, you have no choice in that matter - ie, a mtg at the house, (I always ask before if ppl are allergic to cats - no dogs at the moment tho I have had dogs) or are afraid. As for young children, that can be a nightmare - esp with small cats or kittens - or with dogs and gating the dog is prob the best bet. Children may overdo it with pets, esp those not used to them or afraid of them (which could be a good teaching time but not during a busy holiday session or dinner!!)

Prin
January 13th, 2007, 03:17 PM
I was just thinking... Gating all night is one thing, but gating and then releasing her later won't help, IMO... Well, it doesn't help with any dogs I've had anyway. They sit there building anxiety more and more and then you release them and BOOM! lol I find that the initial excitement at the arrival of company is more toned down than the excitement of being released from captivity... Just my experience with my own doggies...:shrug:

Bearsmom
January 13th, 2007, 03:18 PM
Ooh, a Fantasia party...been to one of those! I can't help but giggle at the thought of Willow tearing off with one of the "products" lol.

I too am of the "they live here, you don't" school of thought. We have had people over that were terrified at the sight of Bear (because he's so huge), but once they realized he howls like he's been shot and dying if he's left out of the festivities, he's better off back inside. There are certain people Bear just doesn't like, so we usually close him off in a room with a nice juicy bone, and he's fine. Too bad for the people, though, they're missing out on not knowing a great dog.

Byrd
January 13th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Oh gawd Willow tearing around with one of the products would be too much to handle.

The big thing is, if I leave her gated all night she will bark, bark, bark all night, if I let her out after everyone's settled and keep her with me or one of the friends that knows how to handle her she will settle and probably snooze. For her being left out is such torture.