Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What's up with them daggers? - cutting nails

technodoll
January 11th, 2007, 08:51 PM
Browsing through the "feetsies" thread, i noticed some pretty looong daggers in there... :eek: :o Just curious to know how many forum members trim their dog's nails on a regular basis? I know most dogs haaate the ordeal and it becomes a chore of monumental proportions for some of us... :frustrated:

i know i need to do it every week but i've been slipping up... down to twice per month now BUT i blame it on the crappy nail trimmer! My old one conked out in November so I ordered a new one, different model... big mistake, it's a piece of crap that wouldn't cut through butter! :mad: so after more procrastinating i finally ordered another one yesterday, same model as i originally had... will finally be able to trim those doggy nails back into submission! For me, a perfect foot should be trimmed and show no nails when in standing position. Must be leftovers from the show days... where visible claws are frowned upon :p

so... what about youse guys? :goodvibes:

Rottielover
January 11th, 2007, 09:16 PM
it taks me an hour and a half to cut harleys nails, and that is when he is tired.
After his toe ordeal, his feet are a very sensitive part of his body.
His nails are naturally long, the quick is anyways. I do my best, but even with a muzzle, he throws me..I have to wait for a friend to help. Not many friends want to hold a rotty.

Cathy1
January 11th, 2007, 09:20 PM
We have a big problem with Duke's nails because the kwik(sp?) doesn't receed so we take him to the vets to have it done about once a month. The vet can't explain why it won't receed. I have never had that problem with other dogs. Jasper fights us all the time, growling, squirming, and biting.

susieqt
January 11th, 2007, 09:25 PM
I do my doggies nails every few weeks, or try to, should I say. They all hate it! Sometimes if they are going to wild in the house, I take out the clippers and they all settle down under the kitchen table to hide very quickly!:goodvibes:

TeriM
January 11th, 2007, 09:34 PM
LOL, I should try that trick sometimes. Lucy has very long kwiks and hates to have her feet done. I really have to bully her to do it (usually throw a good ear clean in just to really wreck her day :sad: ). I have tried to be quite diligent with Riley so that his kwiks never get as long.

Dracko
January 11th, 2007, 09:37 PM
Dracko is a good dog for me, never shows me any aggression, etc...UNTIL I try to cut his nails. I think this comes from the fact that he has Rheumatoid Arthritis and doesn't like his limbs handled. His feet are VERY sensitive as well. I've started to wait until he is asleep and snip one! Usually he wakes up like, WTF, but then lays his head down. If I push it and try more than one, no way. Usually when he goes in for something like an xray I have his nails cut. I can give him pills, bath him, etc with no fuss, but the nails are another story.

mafiaprincess
January 11th, 2007, 09:38 PM
Dremel every week. Cider was jamming her toes on the a frame and jumping off I think.. That and she scratches me when long..

TeriM
January 11th, 2007, 09:49 PM
I tried the Dremel with Lucy and she went loopy. I should give it a try with Riley because he doesn't mind loud machines like the vacumn etc.

technodoll
January 11th, 2007, 09:51 PM
i had to muzzle my male dobie, and my (ex)hubby had to SIT on him to hold him down so I could trim his nails without getting kicked in the face or nipped :frustrated: oh man, it was such an ordeal. my girl dobie would just sit there quietly and hand me her paws... she was cool :cloud9: :rip:

we started on the wrong foot with dakotah (no pun intended), he bled once and that was IT :eek: even as a 3 month puppy he would buck and scream bloody murder, the two of us couldn't hold him down! it was exhausting and traumatic. so i used my noggin and decided to win him over, no way were we going to do this with a 120 lbs adult dog with big teeth :eek:

i started to sit with him outside on the balcony, a place not associated with any "bad things", made him lay down, and brushed him, gave him cookie tidbits. Held the nail clipper, let him smell it, handled his feetsies, more cookies, then gently and quickly clipped the tip of one nail, another cookie. Repeat the process for a few week, and meh, it worked! :shrug:

he now comes to lay down on the carpet when i call him with the nail clipper in my hand, he still haaates it but holds still and doesn't look at me, sighs, "get it over mom!" thank goodness cuz he's a BIG boy with BIG thick nails! whew! :dog:

Dad of Dog's
January 11th, 2007, 10:10 PM
Dogs are not born with long nails and overgrown quicks. This is due to allowing them to overgrow.

Ideally their nails should be done every two weeks. The quick will have no time to grow out with the nail if the nails are kept trimmed to the end of the quick.

Unfortunately just taking off the tips will not keep the quick from growing.
Some people will say that their dog files their own nails but they walk just as we do, never evenly so some nails will be kept up but others won't.

When a dogs nails get long enough that you hear them it means that every time their nail hits the floor it is shoved up into their toes which can be painful and can actually cause aggressive behaviour.

The best tools to clip nails are the deluxe clippers and the rotery tool.

The best methods to get the quick to recede is to clip the length back right to the edge of the quick without cutting it. The #1 way is with the rotery tool. File back the nail as close to the quick as possible and then file the sides almost to the quick. This will force the quick to move back for protection from being exposed.

A method that works and usually done by vets for dogs with grossly overgrown nails is to cut back the nail along with the quick but this method is very painful and will make the challenge of clipping the nails almost impossible.

If you are not comfortable clipping them yourself get someone else to do it.
Places like Petsmart and Superpet usually have persons clip with very little experience which means they do what is safe, take only the tips off.

Don't forget to clip the dew claws if your dog has them.

hazelrunpack
January 11th, 2007, 11:11 PM
We clip the Pack's nails...but not as often as we should :o. They don't resist much--they like the attention and they like the treats they get as a reward when we're done...

The reason we don't get them done as often as we should is due to age :laughing: ...ours, not theirs! It's hard to get down on our knees...and then to stay down to do all 6! Plus, you gotta get them when they're in a napping mood insted of a wrasslin' mood... So we do one or two at a time as a favorable situation presents itself. And then, of course, we have to get back up off those aged knees... :eek:

I'd say it probably takes us about 2 weeks to get them all, but it's hard to tell for sure--it's such a continual process since by the time you get to number six, number one needs them done again :shrug:

We just use a hand-clipper, not a dremel--it's too easy to grind the nail too close to the quick with a rotary.

erykah1310
January 11th, 2007, 11:32 PM
B had his clipped today, training back the quick
Puppy is good bout nails as is Kita...
Meik... well if you can actually get him to sit still long enough he is alright about it too.
My doggies have "daggers" right now cause ... welll... im just slacking:o no other reason:o

Mocha's mum
January 11th, 2007, 11:39 PM
I get the groomer to do Mocha's nails. He doesn't tolerate mum doing anything like that to him. And everytime I pick him up and ask how he was, the groomer always says 'oh, he was so good. We love him here' :rolleyes: Ha ha ha!! My finicky baby :love:

erykah1310
January 12th, 2007, 12:24 AM
Do ya think groomers lie to us?????
I heard the same thing this summer with Meiko... ' he was excellent, im gonna miss him so much"
I mean, when i watch one of my friends kids i do that... although they could have been the :evil: himself I say... " no no they were good" Im going to hell i think...:shrug:
But i also think groomers lie... they would have to from time to time right?? If i knew my dog acted like the nutbar he could be, in there. Im not sure if i would bring him back... outta embarassment:o

jiorji
January 12th, 2007, 12:36 AM
no daggers here. Just fuzzyness :D :lovestruck: :pawprint:

Hunter's_owner
January 12th, 2007, 06:21 AM
Cassie doesn't mind getting it done at all, and her nails grow really fast, so I end up doing them once a week or every two weeks.

Hunter's don't grow very fast, thank goodness, because it is always such an ordeal to cut them. He once had a nail cracked off past the quick and had to go to the vet to get it cauterized, since then he will kick up quite a fight. My bf usually pins him down and I do the cutting. It is horrible, but he gets lots of treats after:o

Hunter actually hates it so much that when we cut Cassie's he barks at us:D

Odieandmaggiesd
January 12th, 2007, 07:42 AM
We're terrible for cutting nails...both Odie and Maggz hate it...MAggie was fine with it when we got her, but I cut her quick one day when she figited and that was it...Odie just hated it from day one...they may be small dogs (odie 38 and Maggie 44) but if you ever want to test their shear strength, just pull out the clipers and try to hold them still..OMG...I'm 240 and I can just barely hold them still...I think I'm gonna try using a dremel...not sure if they'll go for it...but if I can get their quics to go back maybe I can get rid on the daggers...:fingerscr

Dracko
January 12th, 2007, 10:38 AM
no daggers here. Just fuzzyness :D :lovestruck: :pawprint:

ADORABLE little cat feeties.:lovestruck:

technodoll
January 12th, 2007, 10:43 AM
Hunter actually hates it so much that when we cut Cassie's he barks at us

OMG that is hilarious! what a character! :laughing:

jiorji cats do have that unfair advantage over dogs :rolleyes:

jessi76
January 12th, 2007, 10:50 AM
I clip Tucker's nails every other week or so. Just last night I clipped his front dew's because they were a little too long for my liking. the rest of his nails get worn down on their own, I only really need to trim 3 or 4 at a time. Tucker doesn't like it, but I simply put him in a stand/stay, tell him "I'm going to clilp your nails, AND YOU WILL LET ME" in a firm tone, and just do it. having a good stand/stay really helps the whole process. he doesn't move until released.

when doing his nails I REALLY notice how dogs respond to your "energy". I get into the "get the job done" zone, tucker picks up on it, knows that I mean business, and grudgingly complies.

I trim my youngest cat, Lulu, about once a week. (her fronts only) just so there are no mishaps - like Tucker getting scratched in the eye when playing w/ her. my other cat came to me w/ her fronts declawed (:sad: ), so we leave her alone.

technodoll
January 12th, 2007, 10:55 AM
when doing his nails I REALLY notice how dogs respond to your "energy". I get into the "get the job done" zone, tucker picks up on it, knows that I mean business, and grudgingly complies.

yes that is sooo true... send out the "business" vibes and dogs settle down quicker than if you hem, haw and hesitate... they then take advantage... squeal murder and the clipper is still inches away from the foot! :frustrated:

Frenchy
January 12th, 2007, 11:16 AM
For me, a perfect foot should be trimmed and show no nails when in standing position.

I can't cut them that short or else they'll bleed, I don't know if it's because they're goldens,but I have to keep them longer. My guys are real good about it, I just make them lie down on their side and voila !

technodoll
January 12th, 2007, 11:23 AM
frenchy you have to start "taming the quick" when they are puppies... then it's manageable. since your dogs are all rescues (i think?) they came to you with quicks that were too long anyways... it's not your fault! :D

see? perfect golden foot... no claws showing http://morningsagegoldens.freeservers.com/Grooming2.html :thumbs up

Frenchy
January 12th, 2007, 11:38 AM
see? perfect golden foot... no claws showing http://morningsagegoldens.freeservers.com/Grooming2.html :thumbs up

:eek: Wow ! that's short (yes they are all rescue,seniors rescues) I do trim their paws like in the picture but the nails are wayyyy longuer. :shrug:

Prin
January 12th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Some dogs have cat-like feet, and some have long toes and longer nails. :shrug: There's even variation in a breed. I've seen goldens with toes like that, but I've seen goldens with really long gangly toes too.:shrug:

I cut Boo's about once every week and a half and they still look like bear claws. I can't go shorter than I do because he's got these fingery things that hurt. Like his nails don't go all the way around (like all doggies) but the underside is really sensitive for some reason, so I can't cut near it. So I just cut so the nails are about 1 mm off the ground if he's extended fully (even though he somehow manages to still touch the ground anyway).

Jemma gets cut about once a month, if that, and her feet are cat like and the nails don't show much.

My dad's doggy's nails are clear and the bulk of the finger inside goes really far down in them so his nails are always a bit long looking until you look closely and see they can't be cut any farther.

Depends on the doggy. :shrug:

Dog Dancer
January 12th, 2007, 01:47 PM
My grrrls both have black nails and it's very hard to see the quick to cut them. They are good with the front feet and just let me lift them up and trim them, but they're tougher with the back feet. The front nails, my fault, are too long, the back nails aren't too bad really. I have new clippers also TD and they suck. Will have to look for another set. I am currently trying to tame Shadows back down so I try to trim her (just a shaving) every three or four days. Halo's click when she walks, but they're really not that long.

Prin
January 12th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Forgot this bit:
When a dogs nails get long enough that you hear them it means that every time their nail hits the floor it is shoved up into their toes which can be painful and can actually cause aggressive behaviour.That's not always true. When dogs discover their nails, they start using them more and more and even if they are ghastly short, the dog will still manage to make noise with them on the floor. Puppies are always silent, no matter how long the nails are, just because they don't use them yet. As they get older, they use them more and more for stability and balance. :shrug: I've always had dogs who were loud on their feet and I do keep them as short as their anatomy allows.

My point is, just because a dog clicks on the floor, doesn't mean they're in pain and are neglected.;)

technodoll
January 12th, 2007, 03:55 PM
My point is, just because a dog clicks on the floor, doesn't mean they're in pain and are neglected

True! some just love to "grab" the ground surface with their claws, while others couldn't be bothered. it does depend on the dog. IMO if the nails are trimmed as short as the quick allows, it's all good, unless the dog was in fact neglected to a point where the long nails harm the dog's movement and posture.

My dogsitter,s pitbull has awful long nails and I can only trim the tips every month or so, however after a trim (even with semi-daggers, LOL) he makes no noise at all on the hardwood floor. :shrug:

Rottielover
January 12th, 2007, 05:04 PM
hey TD, wanna help me do harley, he needs to be done soon
:thumbs up

Prin
January 12th, 2007, 06:38 PM
My dogsitter,s pitbull has awful long nails and I can only trim the tips every month or so, however after a trim (even with semi-daggers, LOL) he makes no noise at all on the hardwood floor. :shrug:hehe feel free to try Boo one day... lol You'll be all "What? Wha? But how? Huh?" :D

technodoll
January 12th, 2007, 07:11 PM
oooooh no no no, girls!! i only dog my friend's dog's nails cuz... well cuz he cooks and bakes for me all the time :D and i owe him... :o he has health problems and can't do the small stuff like nail trimming, he's also scared to death of hurting his dog LOL! so i be the big mean mama :laughing:

did i mention i haaaaaaaaate clipping doggy nails? :o

Prin
January 12th, 2007, 07:13 PM
Um.. Did somebody say "nanaimo bars"? ;););)

technodoll
January 12th, 2007, 07:22 PM
I'm not liiiiiiiisteniiinig, la la la! :clown:

Prin
January 12th, 2007, 07:24 PM
LOL that clown is so good for that.:D

technodoll
January 12th, 2007, 07:26 PM
yes. orange earmuffs! :clown:

:D :D :D

OntarioGreys
January 12th, 2007, 09:06 PM
A method that works and usually done by vets for dogs with grossly overgrown nails is to cut back the nail along with the quick but this method is very painful and will make the challenge of clipping the nails almost impossible.

I have had to do with a number of rescue dogs, but it is not done while they are awake but while they are sedated for another procedure, such as a dental, or x-rays, I have never heard of a vet doing while awake
When the dog comes to they don't even notice there is no licking or fussing with their toes they will walk and run as though nothing happend, and it is much better to do for overly long nails, as it helps to correct foot posture, otherwise they are bearing the weight on the back of the foot to prevent can lead leg and hip joints problems done the road

As Prin mentioned there are some breeds you will always see the toe nails, then there are differences in the angles that they grow, Sunny's curls downward from the toe, on Maya's front feet her grows almost straight out from the nail bed.

Dad of Dog's
January 12th, 2007, 10:53 PM
I have had to do with a number of rescue dogs, but it is not done while they are awake but while they are sedated for another procedure, such as a dental, or x-rays, I have never heard of a vet doing while awake
When the dog comes to they don't even notice there is no licking or fussing with their toes they will walk and run as though nothing happend, and it is much better to do for overly long nails, as it helps to correct foot posture, otherwise they are bearing the weight on the back of the foot to prevent can lead leg and hip joints problems done the road

As Prin mentioned there are some breeds you will always see the toe nails, then there are differences in the angles that they grow, Sunny's curls downward from the toe, on Maya's front feet her grows almost straight out from the nail bed.

I mentioned this method as one that could be done. It has been a long time so the way it has been done may have changed or it could just be the vet doing it.

You are certainly right about the problems that overgrown nails can cause.

I am aware of how different breeds have different shaped feet, I am not the one who had said anything about that.

Dad of Dog's
January 12th, 2007, 10:57 PM
Forgot this bit:
That's not always true. When dogs discover their nails, they start using them more and more and even if they are ghastly short, the dog will still manage to make noise with them on the floor. Puppies are always silent, no matter how long the nails are, just because they don't use them yet. As they get older, they use them more and more for stability and balance. :shrug: I've always had dogs who were loud on their feet and I do keep them as short as their anatomy allows.

My point is, just because a dog clicks on the floor, doesn't mean they're in pain and are neglected.;)

I don't believe I said always and never did say the dog was being neglected. I will say that I have seen dogs that are in pain because of overgrown nails.

Dogs are able to either extend their nails or curl their toes if there is a need
for their nails but they should never have to walk on them on solid ground. They don't need their nails to keep their balance unless they are walking/climbing which as I mentioned they will extend nails, curl and/or spread toes. Regardless of the nails being kept short, they are still able to do this.

I am guessing that this finger thing you are referring to is the quick and it is definitely a tender area as it is a blood vessel inside the nail. If the nails are kept up from the time they are young pups the quick will not grow much in length as they get older. Some dogs nails will grow faster than others which only means more frequent clipping.
Puppies nails will make noise on the floor if they have been allowed to grow that long.

I do realize however that dogs that were adopted at an older age may have had them come with long nails that had not been kept up. This doesn't mean they were meant to be this way or have to stay that way although with some methods it can take time before the quick recedes.

Prin
January 12th, 2007, 10:59 PM
Dogs are able to either extend their nails or curl their toes if there is a need
for their nails but they should never have to walk on them on solid ground. They don't need their nails to keep their balance unless they are walking/climbing which as I mentioned they will extend nails, curl and/or spread toes. Regardless of the nails being kept short, they are still able to do this.And I'm saying regardless of the nails being kept short, some dogs extend them anyway and though they "should never have to walk on them on solid ground", many DO, EVEN if their nails are short.

It's not all black or white.

mafiaprincess
January 12th, 2007, 11:04 PM
Cider's were dremeled yesterday, they are pretty short, almost shorter than usual and she still is able to click on the floor.

Dad of Dog's
January 12th, 2007, 11:05 PM
If for whatever reason they were walking with their nails extended it wouldn't have the same effect as there would be flex. This is not the case when the nails are already hitting the floor without extending their nails because flex room has been used up by nail, adding pressure.

Prin
January 12th, 2007, 11:07 PM
Exactly what I'm saying. Not all nails that hit the floor hit the floor because they're too long.

I just don't want people reading this and then cutting past the quick hoping to get their dogs silent again. Some dogs- a lot of dogs- are not silent on their feet at all, regardless of the nails.

Dad of Dog's
January 12th, 2007, 11:10 PM
It was mentioned how to get the quick to recede without cutting the quick and also mentioned that when it is cut it is a vet who does it.

Prin
January 12th, 2007, 11:13 PM
Ok, you're not understanding me. ;) EVEN if the nails are SHORT some dogs make NOISE. It's not a defect or something to be operated on.

technodoll
January 12th, 2007, 11:22 PM
OK to me this is terrible neglect:

http://www.cigrescue.org/assets/care_train/nails/long_nails_before.jpg

same dog's nails, after proper clipping and grooming:

http://www.cigrescue.org/assets/care_train/nails/long_nails_after.jpg

they're still "long" IMO but you can only do so much, depending on the pet... :shrug:

ps: this was a rescued italian greyhound

mafiaprincess
January 12th, 2007, 11:27 PM
Cider's quick won't go back any more. Her nails are short, and they do click.

You can't 'fix' every dog's nails. And suggesting that many pet owners should keep trying to get the quick to go back more is probably not the safest idea for most.

technodoll
January 12th, 2007, 11:33 PM
And suggesting that many pet owners should keep trying to get the quick to go back more is probably not the safest idea for most.

umm, why not? :confused: if you do it right, it does work and it helps the dog's foot health... as they age, nails tend to get longer and longer so if you can do something about it during their whole lives, why not? trimming the nail as close as possible to the quick without touching it is very effective in helping it receed, or at least stay the same length as the years go by. i don't see the problem with that... unless the nail trimming procedure causes undue trauma to the dog, of course. :dog:

Dad of Dog's
January 12th, 2007, 11:43 PM
Thanks for the pics.

I would agree with what you said. Look at how those toes were arched due to the nails. It also looks like this particular dog had learned to walk back on its heels. You can see it in the second pic. If the dog had been standing as it was meant to they wouldn't touch.

By the way, I am not speaking of simple clicking as a dog picks it foot up to move forward. I am talking about the ones who are walking on them.

Prin
January 12th, 2007, 11:45 PM
It's not that, techno. It's that telling people if your dog's feet make noise on the floor, you need to start intervening and moving the quick back- like I've said, some dogs click anyway and if you move the quick back any further, the dog isn't going to have much of a nail at all.:shrug:

I cut Jemma and Boo's the same way. See the difference?
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h213/Princi9009/Jemma%20and%20Boo%20Aug%20Sep%20Oct%202006/IMG_3686.jpg
And BOTH always click on the floor.

See? Boo's nails are very thick all the way to the end. Even if I moved the quick back, chances are the nail would become a thick little stub. Already I need new blades for my cutter almost every time I cut his nails. They don't touch the floor unless he extends them, but he always extends them when he's standing up.
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h213/Princi9009/Jemma%20and%20Boo%20Nov%20Dec%202006/IMG_3817.jpg

And see? What kind of stubs would Jemma have if I said, "Oh, she makes noise on the floor so she must need her quicks receeded"?

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h213/Princi9009/Jemma%20and%20Boo%20Nov%20Dec%202006/IMG_5700.jpg

mafiaprincess
January 12th, 2007, 11:52 PM
TY for clarifying Prin.. yeah you got my point.

technodoll
January 12th, 2007, 11:54 PM
What kind of stubs would Jemma have if I said, "Oh, she makes noise on the floor so she must need her quicks receeded"?

perfect, show-quality stubs :D :thumbs up

btw, it does not hurt a dog to have its nails clipped close to the quick, so that it receeds on its own. so IMO there is no excuse not to do it (if the dog lets you i mean :rolleyes: ). the clicking on the floor is a whole other thing, i don't believe that was the point of this thread :o a dog can have perfect little stubs and still make noise, and othe dogs can have longish nails and pad around like a cat :shrug:

look at all the older dogs around you... most of them have much longer nails, on average, than the younger dogs. maybe the owners get lazy cuz it's so much darn work, LOL! :clown:

Prin
January 12th, 2007, 11:57 PM
Yeah, I know it wasn't the point of this thread, but I had to clear it up anyway because I know a person who cut the quicks of ALL the toenails because her dog all of a sudden started being noisy on the floor. She thought it was because the nails were getting longer, so she cut them shorter and shorter and even after cutting all the quicks, her dog STILL clicked on the floor- which is when she asked me for advice, and I told her that most dogs I know get noisy as they get older.

So just don't take drastic measures just because the nails are noisy.

But yes, keep the doggies' nails short and comfy. just nothing drastic, ok?

technodoll
January 13th, 2007, 12:01 AM
So just don't take drastic measures just because the nails are noisy.

by drastic, you mean putting the dog under anaesthesia so the vet can do a "cut close to the bone & cauterize" job? :eek: :o just making sure we are all talking about the same thing... you know how these forums can be! LOL :clown: (jeez i like that clown guy... he better still be there tomorrow morning!) he he

Prin
January 13th, 2007, 12:02 AM
by drastic, you mean putting the dog under anaesthesia so the vet can do a "cut close to the bone & cauterize" job?Yeah, that, or cutting all the quicks, or even becoming neurotic about it. Just do the best you can, whether that's getting the vet or groomer to cut them, or whatever as long as the dog is comfy.;) (doesn't have to be cauterized, bleedy stumps to be comfy)

technodoll
January 13th, 2007, 12:18 AM
OMG i would never even think to put a dog into distress just because of nail clipping - a person would have to be seriously neurotic! now being disciplined about it is another story. i wish i were disciplined... :o i get the new clippers next week, can't wait! youpee! weeehaaw! :clown: (sarcastic clown)

Prin
January 13th, 2007, 12:21 AM
I wish I could use the scissor kind. :( Boo hates the scissor kind. Like he bites a bit for the guillotine kind, but bites a lot for the scissor kind. Don't like putting that much stress on him for nothing. But changing the blade every time is a bit $$$..... or... not :2cents:...:D

technodoll
January 13th, 2007, 12:32 AM
I got one from Miller's Forge that lasted a good 2.5 years with a LOT of thick, heavy nail-trimming.... :o

http://www.millersforge.com/m_nail_clippers.htm the "large dog nail clip".... costs $15 and well worth it! it's used by many breeders on their show dogs... very easy to work with (well relatively! he he)

Prin
January 13th, 2007, 12:35 AM
The guillotine one? Mine is lasting but Boo's nails are sooo hard and the blades dull.. Not sure if a better one would mean the blade would last longer. :shrug: You should really try these out, techno. :D

Dad of Dog's
January 13th, 2007, 12:38 AM
Most, if not all groomers use that style, plyer.

Plyer, best
Scissor, not strong enough for large dogs, separates and splits the nail
Guillotine, worst, dulls quickly, crushes nails, one blade to cut through nail

technodoll
January 13th, 2007, 12:39 AM
I used to have the guillotine one when I had my dobies, they were OK (had to replace the blades all the time, so expensive and time-consuming!) until I tried this model. here this is better: http://www.furlongspetsupply.com/heavy_duty_professional_dog_nail_trimmers.htm but they are black, not that sucky orange color! LOL

Prin
January 13th, 2007, 12:46 AM
Yeah, I call those the "scissor" kind... Anything with that movement (same as scissors ;)), Boo can't handle.:o I wish he could because those are better.

I'm used to the guillotine now, no crushing or whatever, but I also do it backwards from the "normal" way of holding it. The "normal" way is so dumb. The dull part of the blade is against your dog and the sharp part is against the nail bit you want to get rid of. Seems to me you'd rather crush the bad part than the part that's still attached.:rolleyes:

erykah1310
January 13th, 2007, 01:31 AM
I am not comfortable using the others, i only use the guillotine ones. Yeah i have to buy new ones more often but i would rather be confident in what i am doing than frighten the dogs because i am worried.:shrug:
I prefer nice short nails too, mine dont have them, but i prefer them that way, I would never go as drastic as the previous cauterizing description:eek:
When Kita was younger and not so fearful of the nail clippers her nails were quite short, almost undetectable when she was standing. Now that she is "afraid" of metally things ( due to BAD BAD porcupine incident) its a bit harder to convince her that its not gonna hurt.

Saber
January 13th, 2007, 12:22 PM
I haven't gotten my dogs done since i've had him.
but he's startin' to look and feel like he needs them done.
I'm gonna take him tomorrow after the dog park I think.

technodoll
January 14th, 2007, 10:32 PM
Here is a photo I took last summer when I was worried about the callous forming on dakotah's foot :frustrated: but anyways, it shows how short i like my dog's nails to be. I can't wait to get the new nail trimmer this week... will take a "before" and "after" photo of each dog! :thumbs up

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j129/technodoll/booboopart2.jpg

mafiaprincess
January 14th, 2007, 10:46 PM
*sends Cider to TD* I've rarely ever seen large dogs without what seemed to me to be long nails.. I can't even get Cider's that short... Wow..

jiorji
January 14th, 2007, 10:47 PM
Dakotah has kitty feets :cloud9:

technodoll
January 15th, 2007, 08:34 AM
they do say akitas are giant cats :cat: LOL! just heard from Purolator, i get the new trimmer tomorrow! woooo! get ready for a nail & paw trim pictorial :D :highfive:

bekka_1
January 16th, 2007, 06:58 PM
my baby jersey lets me do her nails no problem:love: except her back right paw (she was hit by a pickup truck :sad: and that paw had a really bad cut for a while in july) but she is getting better about letting me cut that paws nails. i always worry when i cut her nails because they are all black and i dont want to cut the quick. i would feel so bad for hurting her.

4thedogs
January 16th, 2007, 09:41 PM
bekka 1, have someone teach you how to clip from viewing the interior vs the exterior. This way it won't matter what colour the nail is.

I have read the thread and would have to say that I agree that nails should be kept as short as possible. If the quick has overgrown then it is best to work on getting it to receed by clipping close to the quick without cutting it as mentioned by Dad of dogs. I don't see why anyone would disagree with that and I don't see why anyone reading this thread would think that meant to cut all the quicks til they bled. Most people are horrified if they make one bleed and wouldn't dream of doing that to all of them, regardless. If that story is true it is horrible but makes me wonder.

Some dogs with nails so overgrown that they are causing other health issues need to have them done by a vet where they do cut the quicks and some really do need it done. Getting a quick to receed by regular clipping close to the quick does work but may take too long for a dog with nails so overgrown.

I use the dbl bladed deluxe model and have for many years. I use them on many different dogs a week and they last me years. I find them to be the best. The other models don't do a good enough job and don't last as long. I would be replacing them monthly. I have found that some of the deluxe versions are not very well made and don't work as well as others. If you have a pair that you like you can get them sharpened.

I agree that dogs nails should never be long enough that they are constantly hitting the ground while moving which I think was the point in many of the posts. I guess unless you have seen what long nails can do to a dog you just wouldn't understand. You can have a dog with short enough nails but if you don't take enough of the nail at each clipping or you wait too long to do it you will find that by the next year the quick would have slowly grown out leaving you with a much longer nail even though you were clipping them. This happens often especially when the one clipping them is scared to clip close to the quick.
If you are not comfortable clipping them yourself get someone to do it for you. If you want to learn how to take more than the ends off just find an experienced groomer who is willing to show you.
There is the option to file them down but it is a lot more work and would need to be done more often than if you were clipping.
I show people all the time how to clip their dogs nails. They can't believe how much I can take off.
If you are clipping your dogs nails make sure you have something to stop the bleeding if you ever do hit the quick. There are household products that can be used but I would only use it for minor nicks. Remember if you cut one you are cutting a vein and need to be able to prevent infection that household products won"t do. One of the most common powders is called quick stop. It is not often that I ever hit one but even the best will do it at least once. Depending on how bad you cut it, it may not stop on its own so you will need something to stop it. Hope you never have to use it but have it on hand just in case.
Technodoll
Those pictures of that poor dog. It looks so painful in the first and relieved in the second but I do see the damage that was done. This dog must have had long nails for some time to do that.
Your dog has very nice nails, perfect in my opinion.

technodoll
January 16th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Technodoll
Those pictures of that poor dog. It looks so painful in the first and relieved in the second but I do see the damage that was done. This dog must have had long nails for some time to do that.
Your dog has very nice nails, perfect in my opinion.

thank you :) i work hard at it... just posted a "nail trimming" pictorial in the photography section, it's image-heavy but you can see before and after shots. :dog:

4thedogs
January 16th, 2007, 09:47 PM
I will have to check it out.