Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Plastic claw caps

Mahealani770
January 11th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Ok, so how do you all feel about these plastic caps for a cat's claws? I read something that said you paint on some adhesive and then apply the plastic cap? :eek: Is it as bad as it sounds? They say it doesn't bother them when they retract their claws, but I'm not sure I like the idea of trying to hold down Minnie, extend her claw, paint on some glue, and then trying to attach a hunk of platic to them. I don't think she'd sit still long enough! :confused:
I refuse to get her declawed, but she's tearing up the new carpet like CRAZY!! :frustrated: Thoughts? Opinions?

~M~

Hunter's_owner
January 11th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Ok, so how do you all feel about these plastic caps for a cat's claws? I read something that said you paint on some adhesive and then apply the plastic cap? :eek: Is it as bad as it sounds? They say it doesn't bother them when they retract their claws, but I'm not sure I like the idea of trying to hold down Minnie, extend her claw, paint on some glue, and then trying to attach a hunk of platic to them. I don't think she'd sit still long enough! :confused:
I refuse to get her declawed, but she's tearing up the new carpet like CRAZY!! :frustrated: Thoughts? Opinions?

~M~

That sounds like an awful lot of work to me. Also, I have found that just keeping them trimmed short keeps them from doing too much damage, and also finding something that they enjoy scratching.

Shamrock
January 11th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Mahealani, the carpet scratching is a big problem isnt it?:eek:

I've never tried the caps, but have heard that they're successful for some cats and dont seem to bother them.
As for applying... that I dont know.:confused: it seems like it could be tricky.

Does she use a scratching post at all? Maybe she doesnt like the fabric on it?

Do you trim her claws regularly?

heidiho
January 11th, 2007, 03:57 PM
My kitten loves to scratch our couch,i bought some clippers and found if you clip them while they are sleeping it is pretty easy,i have bought other thigns for her to scratch but she just loves the couch.....

jessi76
January 11th, 2007, 04:11 PM
They say it doesn't bother them when they retract their claws,

actually that's the reason my vet is against them. he says he's seen a number of cases where they DO interfere w/ retracting the claw.

I agree w/ the others, clip the nails. I trim my cat, front claws only. my cat is a big moosh though, she actually likes to lay, belly up, on my lap. so it makes it REAL easy. I do all of her front claws in about a minute. I give her a treat afterwords for good measure. (tucker, my dog, gets upset when he sees me clipping the cat, so the after-treat is really for his benefit, to see I didn't hurt his buddy!)

some groomers do cats too though - you may find it easier to let a pro do it for you.

dogcatharmony
January 11th, 2007, 04:58 PM
my cats use to go crazy on the carpet.....so I went and got them one of their own. I got them a cheap bath mat, the ones that are nice and nubby, and the havent touched my carpet since. They like the bath mat better, maybe cuz they can roll in it and play??? They like to run, jump on the mat and scoot across the hardwood in the hallway, and then claw the carpet to death. I also keep their nails trimmed, they are both easy to do.

chico2
January 11th, 2007, 05:09 PM
Mahealani,I could not even imagine trying to put glue and plastic-caps on any of my cats:laughing:
Trimming Minnies nails regularly will prevent her from doing too much damage and it's good to get her used to it early,we can trim Vinnie and Chico,but there's no way with Rocky,the vet trims his nails for $12.50.
With us it's a 2-person job,I will hold the cat and cuddle him,while hubby cuts the nails.
Another solution is to get rid of the carpet,our whole house was carpeted at one point,with hardwood underneath,in bad shape though,so some got covered with laminate,but the carpet is gone!
You can also buy one of those card-board thingys,mine love it for scratching.:thumbs up
I also have a couple of cat-trees,but they are used mostly for climbing.

heidiho
January 11th, 2007, 05:53 PM
I highly recommend also to try when they are sleeping,it was a breeze doing roxys she would wake up a little i would stop she would doze off and i clipped away,it was so much easier then i thought it would be,i couldnt see going through all that hassle with cap claws or whatever they are called....still havent come up with solution to get her to not claw couch.....

Mahealani770
January 12th, 2007, 07:31 AM
Thanks everybody for the suggestions. I've seen DW (<-haha "Dear Wifey") clip Minnie's nails before but I get so scared that she'll cut too close. When Minnie goes for her spay, I'll have them clip her nails then too.

janmadd
July 22nd, 2007, 12:37 PM
If you want to keep your cat from sratching everything else in your home, please go to Global (only place that sells it) and get the "Ultimate Scratching Post" - it's the best! You can see it on http://www.esmartcat.com/shopping/ultimate.php

clm
July 22nd, 2007, 04:33 PM
I've got one rug that the cats love to scratch. All of them. Must be the pile in this rug. It's only a throw mat, a $40.00 one. I'm on the second one now, they went through the first in about 6 months. They have cat trees too and one of those round things with a ball that goes around and a cardboard cat scratch thingy in the centre that I pile catnip on once in a while. They leave the furniture and stuff alone after all that. I don't think I'd be inclined to put rubber on their nails.

Cindy

chico2
July 22nd, 2007, 04:52 PM
Sisal-rope is the best for cats,carpeted cat-trees just makes them used to scratching carpeting.
I have been most successful with the cardboard thingy,all 3 of my cats love it!

rainbow
July 22nd, 2007, 08:11 PM
My cats won't use the sisal scratchers. They only like to use the carpeted ones yet they leave the carpeting alone. :shrug:

Chico, great pics of your kitties. :lovestruck: