Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dew claws

twisten
January 11th, 2007, 01:47 PM
I noticed on Brie, my baby chi, the other day that she only has 1 dew claw and it looks like its upside down. What are the purpose of dew claws and should I have it removed when I take her to the vet?

Hunter's_owner
January 11th, 2007, 02:43 PM
I forget what the purpose of them are, some vets do remove them.
Btw, what do you mean that it looks like its upside down?:o

twisten
January 12th, 2007, 12:11 AM
Well, I'm assuming the claw should be facing down towards her feet but its facing up instead. Actually I'm looking at it right now and its more sideways so I'm worried she'll be more prone to catching it on things. My GSD has her dew claws still and they have definitely grown in different than the one Brie has.

erykah1310
January 12th, 2007, 12:16 AM
you can get them removed, and in a case like yours i think it would be a good idea to discuss this with your vet. Im not big on the removal of animals parts, but .... if there is a risk of injury with it, I would definately consider it.

twisten
January 12th, 2007, 12:21 AM
Another question for you guys. I've never trimmed a dogs nails before. How do you tell where the quick..sp?? is? Most of Brie's nails are half white and half black.

erykah1310
January 12th, 2007, 12:26 AM
its kinda hard to explain in words for me... pictures and hand gestures i could do it, but not online :o
I usually clip UPTO where the nail becomes solid again ( not hollow underneith) im not sure if that makes sence to you:shrug:

twisten
January 12th, 2007, 12:39 PM
I opened up the web link that Technodoll provided in the "what's up with the daggers" thread. It looks like it has good info on trimming the nails. Erykah, your last post does make sense to me. Thanks. Brie's nails where they are solid white or black are going to be easy because I can see the quick...sp? but the nails that are black on top and then white on the tips are the hard ones. My GSD's have to be done also. Hers nails are a solid color though and I can tell where the quick...sp? is on them. I have to buy the tools to do their nails first though. So hopefully within a day or two they will have nice short nails again. Any certain ones you guys recommend and any to avoid??