Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I'm Home - She Still Pees

tinkmason89
January 11th, 2007, 11:49 AM
My husband and I have a 4 month old doberman puppy (female). When she first got here to the house we brought her outside and she peed, we congratulated her and kept this up. I am home all the time and still take her out every hour when I am awake to pee (amazingly she sleeps through the night with no problems). Nevertheless she still pees in the house in between going out. HELP!!

jessi76
January 11th, 2007, 01:11 PM
some pups only need to go out once an hour, however, some are pee machines it seems... my best advice, keep her on a leash which is hooked to you (hooked on your belt loop or something). this way she's always WITH you, can't sneak off and pee, and you should notice if she's starting to squat. in which case - say NO firmly, scoop her up and take her outside. if she finishes - praise like she won the olympics!!!! WOOOOOOOO!!!! HAPPY DAY!!!! give a small treat if you want too - make a BIG DEAL of it. continue this until she gets it.

if she's tethered to you - it's your best chance to catch her in the act. you need to stop the behavior when it happens, not after the fact.

tenderfoot
January 11th, 2007, 04:40 PM
She hasn't learned to ask yet. She also may not become fully trustworthy for many months to come. Patience and attentiveness on your part will make the greatest difference.

Jessi76 wrapped it up in a nutshell. You have to teach "no, not in the house", 'yes! we love it when you do it outside." But the key is to catch her in the act so that she can learn right from wrong. Even if she has a few good days or weeks your job isn't done yet. Sometimes they will be good for a few weeks and then have an accident. Just ask yourself ' hummm, what could I have done differently?'. You are in charge of her success.

Angie J
January 12th, 2007, 09:48 AM
does she Pee in one certain spot or just anywhere? Does she always choose one certain terrain (rugs, blankets, beds)?

Do you teach her an associated word "potty" shen you are preparing her to toilette outside; That way it reenforces the 'action' of pottying and turns it into a set 'routine' with boundries.

If the pup is pottying 'everywhere' she needs to be confined to an area where the undesired activity can be monitored and a positive 'routine' can be established ( a longline....tied to you, is one method).

Angie J

Riesa
January 12th, 2007, 09:53 AM
That is all very good advice remember if you can't watch her she should be in a crate where she will not mess. Also if she is peeing a lot she may have a urine infection does she seem to pee just tiny bits or is she straining it is something to think about.

erykah1310
January 12th, 2007, 10:11 AM
Dont crate if you are home though, thats just my opinion.
One of my dogs took a LONG time to understand that pooping must be done outside. I didnt scold her for pooping in the house, and that could very well be the reason behind the continuous cycle of it.
I would pick "it" up, get her too and brought both outside, sorta show her where it belongs.:shrug: eventually it worked.
However, even though this is what i did, i dont recommend anyone else doing it. Im just a sucker and cant scold the dogs. Correct them yes, but I was so frustrated by the poops in the house that i prefered not to say anything.