Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Natural flea preventative

erykah1310
January 11th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Does anyone know of a natural flea preventative? I have had "fleas on the brain" since heading to the vet with my friend and her cat having fleas, her dog having fleas and hearing the work involved in ridding the house of fleas:goodvibes: <--- shudder
Idont want to go with sentinel or anything like that, and my dogs havent had fleas.... yet....:fingerscr

badger
January 11th, 2007, 12:55 PM
I heard somewhere that a little nutritional yeast in their food repels fleas, although I haven't tried it.

http://www.eartheasy.com/article_natural_flea_control.htm

joeysmama
January 11th, 2007, 01:24 PM
Would that work for ticks as well? The vet has suggested Frontline but I really hate pesticides. He was just tested for lyme and heartworm and came up negative on both. So we've been doing alright. The vet said maybetreat the yard if I don't want to apply the pesticide directly to the dog.

I just think the link between cancer and pesticides is pretty strong and we've already lost one doggie to cancer.:sad:

Maya
January 17th, 2007, 01:52 AM
My kitty indoor-outdoor only had one short lived case of fleas in his sixteen years. I always sprinkled engevita yeast on his food and he usually reminded me if I forgot. Brewer's yeast is really gross tasting imo so I never offered it to him but it is also full of B-vitamins.

Here is some info i took from a google search, it probably varies though. I always found it in bulk at any health food store. I just sprinkled from a shaker with fairly big holes, maybe half a tsp up to a teaspoon mixed in a bowl of crunchies.

Recommended Dosage (for people)
2 tablespoons.
Serving Suggestion
Engivita is such a pleasant tasting yeast that it can be consumed as it is. It is also readily dissolved in water, milk, fruit or vegetable juices and can be sprinkled on soups, stews, casseroles, salads and breakfast cereals to enhance the flavour.
Ingredients
Dried inactive yeast.
Nutritional Information
per 100g:
Energy 1360kJ/325kcal, Protein 46g, Carbohydrates 35g (of which sugars 1g), Fat 5g (of which saturates 2.5g), Dietary Fibre 20g, Sodium 1g, Potassium 2000mg, Sulphur 300mg, Phosphorus 200mg, Magnesium 180mg, Calcium 55mg, Sodium 50mg, Zinc 0.65mg, Manganese 0.5mg, Iron 4.5mg, Thiamin (Vitamin B1) 9.9mg, Riboflavin (vitamin B2) 20mg, Niacin (Nicotinic Acid) 120mg, Pyridoxine HCl (Vitamin B6) 0.4mg, Folic Acid 2.1mg, Ca-pantothenate 11.5mg, Biotin 0.05mg, Choline Chloride 320mg, Inositol 200mg.
Other Information
Engevita yeast is one of the richest natural sources of the B group of vitamins. It is also rich in protein, amino acids, enzymes, minerals and trace elements. Engevita is a purely natural food, specifically produced for human consumption and is a primary grown strain of Saccharomyces Cerevasiae.

I haven't had personal experience with giving to doggies but I know some people do. I think it will strengthen resistance to fleas but you'd need to find other ways to get rid of a full blown infestation. This is more of a preventative measure and way of increasing nutrients to the diet.

Prin
January 17th, 2007, 01:55 AM
Does anyone know of a natural flea preventative? Don't have pets? :laughing:

(sorry, but since Maya already answered gold, I figured humor was all that was left...:D)

Garlic is for mosquitoes, right?

erykah1310
January 17th, 2007, 02:03 AM
Thanks Maya! :thumbs up Im gonna give it a try...
There hasnt been any flea problems here, but now worry bout it more due to seeing what my friend is going through!

Maya
January 17th, 2007, 02:15 AM
You're welcome erykah, my kitty seemed to really enjoy the taste too so hopefully i'll be spreading some joy.:goodvibes:

Garlic is for mosquitoes, right?I don't know, it's not working for me. I eat garlic and I still get like these stupid huge mosquito bites through layers. What's up with that and it's below zero. Grrr:evil:

twisten
January 20th, 2007, 03:31 PM
I thought garlic was for vampires. Hahahaha. Sorry, couldn't resist a bit of humour.:cool:

Maya
January 20th, 2007, 09:41 PM
I like the garlands, they're pretty.:) Garlic is cool. Awsome antibacterial properties. (for people)