Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

When is Christmas over?

Prin
January 11th, 2007, 01:53 AM
When do 'normal' people take down their Christmas lights and tree? :o

My lights and tree are still up. I can't take down my tree because he's still bendy. I usually wait till the point where when you run your hand down a branch, needles fall off, but this tree is still pretty fresh.:o Can't throw away a fresh tree!

And for the lights.. well, I think they look good.:D

When do you take yours down?

CyberKitten
January 11th, 2007, 03:39 AM
We put a small one up - same time as the Menorah lights went up. And I was just too busy to worry about taking it down so it came down sometime the week after - but it was my bf who did it. I am admittedly not that much of a :"Christmas" person and while I do occasionally like to see all these decorations, I wonder about doing my little bit for the environment. I used to think maybe if we all had our own tree every year - ie (the same one - not sure how it would work, lol). And even tho I own a large woodlot, I could not bring myself to cut down one of those large beautiful trees just for a few days so we used what my gram would term a "store bought" tree - so my woodlot did not loose any of its trees. It seems hard enough to keep them there - ppl steal trees if you have no on watching, (and even ppl will chop down a number of trees on private woodlots - that angers me to no end) and it is hard work to grow a woodlot or at least keep it going with proper silviculture and I am no botanist tho I do know a little about the pulp and paper industry thx to my dad.

I can see ppl wanting their own real tree tho. When I was little, we used to go and pick a "Charlie Brown" tree for our bedrooms and that was fun while it lasted. All our decorations were plastic (prob just as bad environmentally tho, sigh!) etc etc tho we did have a couple of real wreathes made by friends from a local First Nation. If I had not been on call and less busy, I might have made a plastic one. (wreath). At least with Hanukkah, one knows when to put up the menorah and when to take it down. It seems everyone has different family traditions for Christmas.

chico2
January 11th, 2007, 07:54 AM
I cleaned up X-Mas Jan 2nd,I hated to do it,the house looks so cozy and warm with all the Christmassy things:sad:
I see many beautiful green X-Mas trees beeing thrown out,I can't help feeling a little sad at the waste...but our town uses all discarded trees for fertilizer.
I wish X-Mas trees would be taken out roots attached for replanting after the holidays..

jessi76
January 11th, 2007, 08:03 AM
I packed all the holiday stuff away on New years day. I have a very nice fake pre-lit tree that takes about 5 min to take down. No real trees for us - too much of a fire hazard. We have a wood stove in the same room as the tree, so we stick to the fake kind.

I didn't put any lights up this year - ony the little candles in the windows, so those were quick to pack away.

chico, my fiance's dad used to do that - he'd buy xmas trees w/ roots so he could re-plant them.

did you see in the news about the elephants at the Berlin zoo? They were given trees that weren't sold - they ate them and even played with them. it was cute.

Hunter's_owner
January 11th, 2007, 08:33 AM
Well I left my parent's house New Year's Day to come back to the city as I had work the next day. So Christmas for me this year was officially over on New Year's Day. Other years we have left the tree up later, so I guess it all depends on what is happening.

If it were my house and my tree, I would probably take it down the weekend after the 6th of January:shrug:

joeysmama
January 11th, 2007, 08:53 AM
My tree is still up and the candles are still in the window and the centerpieces on the tables. We had a small tree in the family room and I loved it but hubby took it down the other night. I think we'll take the rest of the things down before the weekend. I hate to see it end though.

I wish we would get the tree up earlier--maybe the weekend after Thanksgiving, and leave it up longer too.

meb999
January 11th, 2007, 09:05 AM
:o I never even put up any decoraions this year...no lights, no tree, nothing...:o

:o I felt a little Chrismas-grinch-y....my exams finished on the 23rd and i never really got into the christmas mood :o

Frenchy
January 11th, 2007, 11:37 AM
When do you take yours down?

Did it last week end. :sad:

erykah1310
January 11th, 2007, 11:47 AM
I took my tree down 2 days ago :sad:
Lights are still up...
But .... " Im a redneck woman... I aint no high class broad....."
eventually in the song it says... " I leave my christmas lights up on my front porch all year long":o :D :thumbs up

joeysmama
January 11th, 2007, 12:26 PM
I love that song !:D

I'm a Christmas enthusiast. :goodvibes: I'm already looking forward to next Christmas !

technodoll
January 11th, 2007, 12:46 PM
i've seen plenty of folks keep their outdoors christmas lights in place all year-round.... they just don't light them until the holiday season. I think it's brilliant! :thumbs up

joeysmama
January 11th, 2007, 03:01 PM
One year my mother in law didn't bother to take down her tree. They just threw a sheet over it and uncovered it the following December.:confused:

I thought that was kind of dumb.

I can see leaving the lights and just turning them on when the holidays roll around though. The lights aren't so obvious when they aren't on. Now a big old tree standing there........that was weird.

heidiho
January 11th, 2007, 03:17 PM
News years day is when we do ,even family always have,but i totally agree with the lights,itried to convince boyfriend to leave white lights in the window,but didnt happen.....i do love the coziness of all the x mas stuff,i miss it

wdawson
January 11th, 2007, 05:55 PM
when you wake up on boxing day bah humbug.....just kidding we did ours last weekend.

jesse's mommy
January 11th, 2007, 05:56 PM
We did ours New Years Day. The tree, the decorations and the lights went into their storage bins. Then about a week later I bought more Christmas stuff at 75% off and haven't put them away yet. :p

AliSam
January 11th, 2007, 08:19 PM
I usually do it New Years Day. This year I was home on the 31st so I did it then. The outside lights are still up, but haven't been on since the 26th.

technodoll
January 11th, 2007, 08:27 PM
The outside lights are still up, but haven't been on since the 26th.

but why? :confused: i can imagine after the new year but... wow that,s early to shut off the xmas lights! :eek:

still lots of colored lights on everywhere here, it takes some of the sting out of the bleak cold dark winter :o i hope some folks keep theirs for a couple more weeks!

TeriM
January 11th, 2007, 09:06 PM
I agree with TD that lights should stay on and up until at least New Years. I usually aim for the first week of jan to take down the holiday stuff but am a good procrastinator so as of now only half of the stuff is done.

hazelrunpack
January 11th, 2007, 11:55 PM
I've still got all my stuff up... We don't do the outside, but I managed to put some of the inside stuff up. The Pack finally grew up enough to make it possible! :D

I didn't get it up until the 23rd and it's been years since I last decorated (due to the presence of puppies and adolescent canine brats :crazy:) so I'm revelling in the tree this year. :cloud9: It's not coming down for at least another couple of weeks! :thumbs up Maybe I'll have to hang little red hearts on it! :p

Peepmouse
January 12th, 2007, 12:07 AM
We didn't put anything up this year...No room in our little living room. Also, I'm the one to do the tree, and since I'm still wobbly on my legs, there was no way I was going to try it!:sad: I miss it though... We used to leave our tree up until after Ukrainian Christmas (Somewhere around the end of the first week, I believe), that way we had an excuse for keeping the tree up longer, even though we're not Ukrainian!:) Hubby is Polish though, which is close enough!:D:laughing:

Prin
January 12th, 2007, 12:51 PM
still lots of colored lights on everywhere here, it takes some of the sting out of the bleak cold dark winter :o i hope some folks keep theirs for a couple more weeks!Done!! :D :crazy: