Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How to end play

H.P.
January 10th, 2007, 08:37 PM
Sydney is spoiled. My Fault. She thinks that I am supposed to play with her from the time I come home, until we go to bed. I love her, and love playing with her, but sometimes I need to do other stuff. It is hard to wash dishes while playing fetch. Right now, she is filling my lap up with toys. How to I get her to understand that play time is over?

twisten
January 11th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Our GSD was like that before we got our baby chihuahua. If we ignored her all she would do is whine. Now she would sooner play with Brie than have anything to do with us. I don't know what to suggest but I feel your frustration, we love them dearly but can't spend every minute playing with them.

jessi76
January 11th, 2007, 02:33 PM
I taught my dog a command for this. I use "Take a break" as his cue that play time is over, and he needs to relax. I'm not sure how "take a break" started really, it sorta just happened, we just repeated it whenever we stopped playing. Then I'd get up to do something else... dishes, laundry, etc.

if my dog continues to engage me in play, he is then told "on your blanket". which means he needs be in HIS spot. he doesn't have to be still, he can chew a bone, or play w/ a toy on his own, but it needs to be in his place, and not under my feet.

tenderfoot
January 11th, 2007, 05:29 PM
He has learned to demand your attention. He starts the play and won't take no for an answer when you want to end play. You need to start working on boundaries. You should be the one to start and end the play. If he is persistent then you say 'enough' and disengage. He will probably challenge you a few times and you are going to need to be consistent and clear. If he respects you he should only challenge 3-5 times, but if he doesn't respect you then you might have to increase the intensity of your energy (just a bit) to make your point.

Teaching him 'lets play' and 'easy' would be very handy to start to build some better boundaries. This is done by you initiating some play and get his energy up to about a 4 on a scale of 1-10 and play there for about 15 seconds. Then YOU get very calm and slow and use the word 'easy' in a firm low tone. He might not understand at first but you insist on low energy and he should slow down and match it. Dogs typcially match the level of energy in the room. It would be good to have a leash on him for this so that if he were to really be insistent, you could give a slight leash correction as you say 'easy' again in a firm and low tone. You must sound like you mean it. He should soften and then even lick you to say he understands. Reward the change in energy with long, firm strokes on his face and body - still keeping your engery low, and say 'gooood, easy' in a very calm voice. When all is peaceful, go back to playing and repeat this again. Play - easy - play - easy - until he is able to make the transition very quickly.

Then when you need to say 'enough' you will have set the stage for success.

susieqt
January 11th, 2007, 10:38 PM
Or you can take out the nail clippers, it works for me!

Hunter's_owner
January 12th, 2007, 07:14 AM
Or you can take out the nail clippers, it works for me!

That would work for me too:evil: ;)

Riesa
January 12th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Our Shepherds will constantly bring you toys to throw if you let them. Teach them a settle command and stick to it you have to be consistant with dogs as with children. If you give in to there constant toy giving they will learn that no means maybe if I bug them enough LOL. Give them the settle command and completly ignore them, praise if they lie down and settle but not too much so that they get up and think it is play time again, then in about 30 minutes tell them ok lets play and play for a while then back to settle they do get the hint after awhile.:goodvibes: