Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Was asked to breed B

erykah1310
January 10th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Was at the petstore today and a lovely little female cocker was brought in, her owners saw B and came over to find some info out about him.
First question " does he have papers"
My answer, "no, he is a rescue"
Second question, " are you interested in breeding him"
My answer ( well the jist of it) "No, he is a RESCUE, meaning that someone already is BYBing enough Cockers and relying on impulse buying to keep their "buisness" (with the hand in the air quotations, ya I talk with my hands alot) going.
Third question, " So you dont want to breed him then?"
My answer, " NO. He is off the market permanently"
Comment... " Thats too bad, ruin a good stud dog by neutering"
I just rolled my eyes and walked away.
I mean... seriously, why do I always seem to head out on "byb ers day"???
:shrug: :frustrated: :yell:

Frenchy
January 10th, 2007, 06:50 PM
wow Erykah, you handled it well, I usually go on and on and on,lecturing people :p still too many :clown: on this earth :mad:

erykah1310
January 10th, 2007, 06:52 PM
I would have prolly lectured more, but really i was so frustrated :frustrated: I mean, they literally asked me twice if i was interested. Obviously anything i was saying was falling on deaf ears.:mad:

Frenchy
January 10th, 2007, 07:04 PM
I know what you mean , sometimes it's better to stop and walk away than have a fit ! Sometimes people get my e-mail on the rescue's website and they ask me if we breed dogs and when is the next litter ! :mad: HELLO ... this is a RESCUE not a puppy mill. :mad:

pitgrrl
January 10th, 2007, 07:22 PM
Hopefuly what you said will sink in at some point.......but it probably won't :mad:

It hasn't happened recently, but people used to stop me all the time to either ask when my dogs would be having puppies and could they get one (because two males have puppies so often, right?) or if I would take money, drugs or a puppy in exchange for stud services (because clearly even people who know all about breeding still sometimes have trouble figuring out if a male has the necessary equipement).

coppperbelle
January 10th, 2007, 07:48 PM
I too get calls and e-mails from people looking for a dog. Recently I got one from someone who wanted a young dog and would be ready to adopt in the end of June. Now did they expect me to hold a dog until then. In that case it wouldn't be a puppy anymore. Maybe they wanted me to make sure that someone gave up their dog in time for them to adopt or they wanted to give me enough time to breed one of our rescue dogs.
I sent Frenchy the e-mail and asked her to answer the request. I was a little annoyed.

In any case I think you handled the situation well. No use arguing as you would only be wasting your breath.

technodoll
January 11th, 2007, 12:59 PM
ho boy. know what you mean erykah... :rolleyes: we can't take the beanies for a walk without getting asked if we're breeding them, and why not? :frustrated: it gets dull after a while, but we never stop trying to educate those who ask... but as you said, most of it falls on deaf ears unfortunately. :sad: