Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

training

grasser
January 10th, 2007, 05:22 PM
I just got a 6 week old Mastiff /Dobe mix. Is it to early to start training(sit,come, stay))? . I've read that 6 weeks is too early to take from the litter but the breeder insisted it'd be fine, I hope she was right.Also how long should I soak his food? Thanks in advance for any help.

heidiho
January 10th, 2007, 05:30 PM
:yell: :yell: :yell:

Winston
January 10th, 2007, 05:34 PM
Isnt 6 weeks a little young?? I always thought they needed mom's milk to gain whatever is necessary for their immune system?

:frustrated:

Prin
January 10th, 2007, 05:56 PM
6 weeks is too early. Your dog will be lacking in social skills necessary to have "normal" relationships with other dogs. You have to get cracking on the socialization as soon as possible (i.e. when his vaccines are all done and the vet says it's ok).

Why are you soaking the food? :confused:

btw, any "breeder" who breeds mixed breeds has no idea about anything doggy. Sorry, but it's just not ethical to breed mutts.:shrug:

Scott_B
January 10th, 2007, 06:01 PM
Yeah..sadely you're starting with a disadvantage from the get go. 6-8 weeks is very important for pups.

Good luck. :o

H.P.
January 10th, 2007, 07:41 PM
Hi and welcome! I got my Sydney at 5 weeks, this young is not ideal, it will take extra work on your part, but all is not lost. About the food, my vet told me not to soak the food (the people I got her from had been soaking it), the vet said it allowed her to eat too fast, and made her sick (she would vomit the kibble, and the liquid came shooting out the other end). Your baby is going to be big! As far as training goes, I think it is never to early to start naturally, like when she is sitting, tell her "sit", "good dog" and pet and love on her. The same thing for down. You may need to wait a little longer for stay. The worst problem I have had due to getting her so young, is that moma dog did not have a chance to teach her bite inhibition (from what I have read, they learn that between 6-8 weeks), and now at 7 months we still have some problems with mouthing, but we are getting there. Also, you will have to do alot of socalization once shots are completed. If you click the articles link at the top of the page and scroll down, there is a good article on "socializing your puppy" (the articles are listed in alphabetical order). Also, you are probably in for some sleepless nights (for the next month). MOST IMPORTANT....we want pictures.

grasser
January 10th, 2007, 11:16 PM
Hi and welcome! I got my Sydney at 5 weeks, this young is not ideal, it will take extra work on your part, but all is not lost. About the food, my vet told me not to soak the food (the people I got her from had been soaking it), the vet said it allowed her to eat too fast, and made her sick (she would vomit the kibble, and the liquid came shooting out the other end). Your baby is going to be big! As far as training goes, I think it is never to early to start naturally, like when she is sitting, tell her "sit", "good dog" and pet and love on her. The same thing for down. You may need to wait a little longer for stay. The worst problem I have had due to getting her so young, is that moma dog did not have a chance to teach her bite inhibition (from what I have read, they learn that between 6-8 weeks), and now at 7 months we still have some problems with mouthing, but we are getting there. Also, you will have to do alot of socalization once shots are completed. If you click the articles link at the top of the page and scroll down, there is a good article on "socializing your puppy" (the articles are listed in alphabetical order). Also, you are probably in for some sleepless nights (for the next month). MOST IMPORTANT....we want pictures.

Thank you very much for your post! I'm going to start drying up the food ASAP. The first night was sleepless but he's been better each night since. Thanks again and I'll get some pix.