Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cat licence

Ed U KayShawn
January 10th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Hi I just want to gather some info as to whether your city/town has a cat licence or cat by-laws. You do not need to post your opinion whether you are for or against it. Would you also please state the approximate (human) population for your town or city if you know. Thanks alot everyone and Happy New Year!

Stacer
January 10th, 2007, 12:36 PM
In Toronto you must have your cat licenced, but I think it's really hard to enforce, especially if your cat does not go outdoors (no one even knows you've got a cat), I'm not sure if there are any bylaws. Pop. nearly 3 million

erykah1310
January 10th, 2007, 12:40 PM
there are cat licences here, but you dont HAVE to get them. It is recommended and is a bylaw in the city, but out here in the country its not.
I guess it has to do with barn cats or something:shrug:

Dracko
January 10th, 2007, 11:09 PM
In Saskatoon you MUST have all animals licenced. Of course, with indoor cats many people don't (link me). They do door to door checks to see if people are licencing their pets. Population here is just under 300,000.

CyberKitten
January 11th, 2007, 04:49 AM
The Univ of Va has a "study" - better name would be survey (and I forget the yr) of what requirements existed in various municipalities across North America for various pets. If it was last year, they may be doing another one this year but the info you are seeking - if you are doing a study? - may already be there.

This is our bylaw:

http://www.halifax.ca/legislation/bylaws/hrm/documents/ProposedA-300By-Law.pdf

The Cole's (or Cliff's if you live in the US) ver is:

Proposed provisions include, but are not limited to;

A limitation of 3 dogs and 3 cats that reside in a dwelling situated on properties of less than 2 acres,
Cat and dog licensing,
Cat, dog and animal offences including running at large, attacking a person or other animal, damaging public or private property and failing to remove defecation,
An offence to own a prohibited animal,
An offence for any animal to cause a noise disturbance, and
An offence to feed waterfowl or pigeons on property owned by the HRM.

The bylaw regulating cats has yet to be completely introduced - tho it did pass - and I just wish they;d hurry up!! I think it'll help those poor cats whose owners insit ion "allowing" them to roam the city - thus being in danger from God knows what kind of things. We have belaboured that pt ad infinitam on this site so I won't do down that rd - plus I have to get to work. <g>

I see many benefits in licensing cats. Several dogs have been reunited with family members in the last yr here mostly due to dog tags yet we all know the pros and cons of that as well. Still, provided the money is set aside to help cats in particular and is actually enforced so that cats who are roaming are returned to their owners and not to the SPCA where they have all of 72 hrs before being put down unless some breed specific group picks them out - tho to be fair, ours is somewhat better on occasion tho like all so called "pounds", they do make mistakes and I recall one family pet being "put to sleep" (such an innocuous sounding expression for a cruel deed). Somehow, a registered cat bylaw would hopefully help this. There are all sorts of exclusions (ie if your cat has kittens ONCE, that does not count so I guess legally one can be as byb for one occasion but the law is written to discourage byb since breeders must register but as usual, it is not the credible ones we need to worry about) and if you already have over the limit (ie 4 plus cats), you are OK. (which of course applies to me, lol).

Anyway - the law has not been put into practice yet so between the actual writing and the legal work and public hearings - some of which have already been held - tho there will be more, it will all take time. I think I am glad someone actually realizes cats need top be inside and not roaming as well and that is why this law appeals to me. It is not perfect - no law ever is, completely. But I am so tired of ppl who believe - for all the wrong reasons - that it is just fine to allow their cat (esp when they have an unspayed or unneutered cat) to roam all over God knows where. And then they wonder why their cat was hit by a vehicle or picked up and is lost or comes crawling home injured or they have "squabbles" with the neighbours over their cat , arrrrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhh!!

There will be ways of applying to house more than three so that is not written in stone either. I do not think it dissuades ppl at all from having cats - in fact I do believe it'll help them keep them healthy and more importantly (as if I did not get this msg across!), @ home, lol

It costs $30 to register a dog. No fee has yet been decided on for cats but it will be less.