Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bananas and Cats

Stacer
January 10th, 2007, 11:26 AM
This morning I peeled a banana, Angus was watching intently, so I offered him a little chunk, he sniffed and then went about his business. I turned to Finn and offered her the little chunk on the end of my finger, she sniffed and gobbled it up, then came looking for more. I obliged and gave her another small piece. I was not expecting either cat to want my banana, especially Finn since she's so 'Finn'icky:D. I guess my question is, are bananas harmful? Has anyone else had a banana loving pet?

Hunter's_owner
January 10th, 2007, 12:44 PM
My friends cat absolutely HATES banana. She will run away from it if she is around when someone eats one.

I know a lot of dogs that like bananas though. Hunter didn't like it until he got sick once and had to eat a special gastro diet. He was so hungry that when I offered him a little piece of banana, that I only offered because he has never wanted to eat it before, he ate it and now he like banana:shrug:

heyjude11
January 13th, 2007, 01:36 AM
My cat likes bananas. He licks the banana like an ice cream cone rather than taking bites of it. He is a very picky eater; does not like any type of cat treats, no fish of any kind, etc., so I consider bananas (and yoghurt) as treats for him. He doesn't get them too often and sometimes he turns up his nose and walks away. I take that to mean the bananas are either over or under ripe. Either that or its just a cat thing.

Stacer
January 13th, 2007, 09:46 AM
I looked up this phenomenon on the WWW and found that it is not uncommon for cats to eat bananas.

Later the same day, my husband was peeling a banana and Finn ran over and hopped up on his lap and got her nose right in sniffing around, I think we may have a banana obsessed cat now.

Maya
January 13th, 2007, 03:39 PM
That's cool, maybe she needs the potassium. One of my cats loved cantaloupe. He had kidney failure and the cantaloupe is supposed to be good for kidney function. His brother didn't have kidney problems and was not interested in the canteloupe at all. I think maybe they kind of know how to listen to their bodies to know what they need. Not in the case of things like antifreeze though.:confused: :shrug: