Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Minnie has a new friend

Mahealani770
January 10th, 2007, 08:15 AM
Ok, so Minnie was in the window lastnight where she sits on her kitty condo and guards the back yard...lol All of a sudden, one of the white, stray cats that another lady in my complex takes care of, popped up in the window from the outside and began scratching at the screen. I don't know if it's a girl or a boy, but it looks like a girl to me because the cat is kind of small. But, would a female be trying to get at Minnie like that? It seems to me that only a boy would do that. I mean, the cat was fixated, staring, and scratching at the window to get at Minnie. I wish I could've got a picture but it was too dark. The window is very low to the ground so it was no problem for them to be face to face. So anyway, knowing that this is a stray cat, I just HAD to feed it. So, I mixed some wet and dry food together and took it outside. The cat wouldn't let me get near it, so I set it down in front of the window where it was standing, and went back inside. The cat watched me from a distance and then came back to the window after I was gone. He/she came right back, ignored the YUMMY cat food I left for him/her and continued trying to get at Minnie! Can you believe that? A cat ignoring Salmon, crab and tuna? So after this went on for about 45 mins, I went out to check on the food and half of it was gone. Is it safe to let Minnie eat the other half ? Minnie is up on all her shots and I know who is taking care of the stray but I'm pretty sure she told me that the cat won't let her get near as it seems pretty feral, although I have seen it laying in one of her kitty condos on her patio. The point is, I doubt the stray has had any shots. This lady that I'm referring to is the one I mentioned a while ago who has several kitty condos and bowls of food and blankets on her patio for any of the strays who need shelter or food. I did take her a bunch of food and some blankets for the cats the other night too, by the way.
So, we haven't been able to get Minnie spayed yet as money has been tight but I haven't seen her behave as if she's in heat or anything. Do you think this is a boy cat who is sensing Minnie is in tact? Or do you think that it's a female who just happened to notice Minnie in the window and has taken some interest in her?
Thanks,
~M~

jiorji
January 10th, 2007, 11:06 AM
it could be a male cat. I noticed many feral cats are smaller than regular indoor cats. My kitty was born to feral parents and she's teeny. And her dad isn't regular size either. I'd keep all my windows closed until your Minnie gets spayed or the other cat could scratch through the screen if he wanted to.

ANd i hope you get money for spay soon. For your sake, a cat in heat is a horrible thing to whitness. Say goodbye to sleep :laughing:

Mahealani770
January 10th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the response jiorji! And as far as the rechid, horrible, annoying, heart-breaking sounds that a cat in heat makes...I've heard it before from other cats that I've had and I do NOT want to go through that again..lol
Do you know how old a cat is when they first come into season? Or is it different for every cat? We are still trying to determine how old Minnie is. Also, do you think it's safe for me to let Minnie eat the leftovers from the feral cat?

Thanks,
M

jiorji
January 10th, 2007, 06:41 PM
i think each cat goes into heat at different times. My kitten never did and she got spayed at 5 months. WHen I got Peanut she was in heat and I didn't know it because she was sick and she was mellow but then she got back to normal and i couldn't take her to the vet sooner. And vet was booked for a whole week :yell: hehe
I say if you're waiting until last minute, be prepared to take her in to any vet that's available for surgery at that time. But come 6-7 months i think i'd get really nervous if i were you hehe :o

and I wouldn't let my house cats eat feral cat food. I know your kitty has been vaccinated, but you just never know. Perhaps i'm a bit too careful but my cats don't take all shots because they're indoor cats so some things feral cats have they're not protected against. SAme with Minnie. I wouldn't take my chance. Maybe the other ferals will want the food :D Or maybe the cat will return for it now that she/he knows you have food :pawprint:

Mahealani770
January 11th, 2007, 07:54 AM
Morning Jiorji,
Well, we haven't seen the white feral again until 6:00 this morning :eek: He was back at the window, scratching at the screen to get to Minnie. We never open those windows, so we're safe there. I made an appt. yesterday for Minnie's spay, but can't get in until 1/22, so I'm holding my breath until then. When I found her in November, they determined that she was between 8 and 12 months old, so I went with 10. So if she is now 12 months old, we have yet to see any sign of a heat. Is that possible?

chico2
January 11th, 2007, 08:20 AM
M,are you sure she is not already been spayed:confused:
We have a beautiful Calico constantly trying to get to my boys,but I don't think it's because they're boys,she is just interested in teasing them.
Most cats would be curious,sometimes violent seeing another cat.
I too would not let my cats eat anything an unvaxinated kitty had eaten.
You realize he might be returning every day for more yummies:cat: you might be stuck:lovestruck:

Mahealani770
January 11th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Chico, it has crossed my mind wondering if Minnie has already been spayed. I just don't know. Can a vet, or even one of us look at her tummy and be able to tell? I'd hate to take off work just to have a vet tell me whether she has been spayed or not. Maybe when I take her to her spay appt., I'll have them look at her before I leave. Gosh, that would be great if she has already been fixed :fingerscr
As far as the feral returning for more yummies, he didn't even care that all that good food was sitting in front of him..lol..all he wanted was Minnie :frustrated: It also helps that I know that he's being taken care of by another wonderful, caring, stray-loving woman like myself. But if he needs some more yummies, he can come back anytime :cloud9:
As a matter of fact, I'm going to go speak with her today and get the scoop on Minnie's "stalker"..lol
P.S. LOVE the new avatar:goodvibes:

chico2
January 11th, 2007, 11:01 AM
M,there should be a barely visible scar,I assume..
I forgot how visible,I have not had a female kitty for a looong time:cat:

Mahealani770
January 11th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Ok Chico, everytime I try to touch Minnie's tummy, she wraps herself around my hand like a ball and attacks it..lol. Apparently, she thinks I'm trying to tickle her :cloud9: Wish me luck, thanks! By the way, I'm taking Minnie to a non-profit, mobile, low-cost sterilization organization called projectcatsnip.com. I wonder if they travel to Canada? Check out the website! I love supporting nonprofits :thumbs up

jiorji
January 11th, 2007, 02:23 PM
well when they're ready to spay they will shave her and see the scar. I find it really hard to feel the scar because of the fur and the way it healed. When you drop her off at the vet, ask if they can shave her tummy right there before you leave. That way you'll know.:thumbs up

I would assume that she should've already gotten into heat by now if she wasn't spayed.:confused:

chico2
January 11th, 2007, 02:30 PM
:laughing: Yeah,I forgot to mention,checking a kitties tummy can be trying:laughing:
As for non-profit mobile vet-services,I've heard about it up north,but we have vets in just about every streetcorner and it seems they are in cahoots(sp?)about high prices:yell:

Mahealani770
January 12th, 2007, 09:10 AM
Well, at 6:00 this morning, there were THREE more cats at the window, trying to get at Minnie :eek: I don't understand what the heck is going on? Do they sense something from her? She's not in heat, why are they here? lol
HELP!!!!! :yell:

chico2
January 12th, 2007, 09:17 AM
OH,OH....maybe because it was breakfast-time:cat:
I really don't know,I don't think Minnie is in heat,she would certainly make that known to you,no worse sound than a female(cat)in heat.
I think these cats are just curious and envious of the little girl,nice and comfy inside:confused:

huskypup
January 14th, 2007, 03:44 AM
Dont just check her tummy for signs of spaying, I took Albie - our six month ex ferral yesterday to have her stitches removed, they spayed her from the side, three of my four females have been spayed that way - not sure if it is just my vets or a UK thing, both of my female huskies were spayed through tummies though.

Don't worry about having her spayed it is a routine operation.

MyBirdIsEvil
January 14th, 2007, 04:37 AM
She's probably in heat.
While many female cats will make LOTS of noise, some are fairly quiet, and some wouldn't be noticeable unless you're experienced with cats.

My current female cat didn't get fixed until she was almost a year old, so she had a couple of heats. She didn't make any extra noise during them, she was just a bit more friendly and had a bad odor to her.
Some cats may not emit an odor at all, not one that you can smell, but the other cats obviously can.

If you try rubbing her gently just at the base of her tail, and she acts funny (raising her butt in the air, meowing, twitching tail) or starts rolling on the floor, she's most definately in heat, though the lack of this behavior doesn't mean she isn't.
There's also a chance she's about to go into heat, or has changed hormonally but isn't actually in heat yet. She won't show any signs but the change in hormones will trigger male cats to go after her.

jiorji
January 14th, 2007, 12:45 PM
If you try rubbing her gently just at the base of her tail, and she acts funny (raising her butt in the air, meowing, twitching tail) or starts rolling on the floor, she's most definately in heat, though the lack of this behavior doesn't mean she isn't. .

i would definetly not go by that. My cat does that anytime I pet her and she's not in heat and can't be. But i read somewhere that cats relate their favorite petting spots to being in heat or any other activities related to that :rolleyes:

Frenchy
January 14th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Well, at 6:00 this morning, there were THREE more cats at the window, trying to get at Minnie :eek: I don't understand what the heck is going on? Do they sense something from her? She's not in heat, why are they here? lol
HELP!!!!! :yell:

My guess is , even if she's not in heat, they can smell an unspayed female. When I adopted Monsieur le chat (has been neutered since) he was VERY vocal, drove me crazy, I knew there was a female stray hanging around at my neighbor's place, even with all windows closed, Monsieur le chat was very excited. Now that he's neutered, he still talks but now it's cute!

MyBirdIsEvil
January 14th, 2007, 03:51 PM
i would definetly not go by that. My cat does that anytime I pet her and she's not in heat and can't be. But i read somewhere that cats relate their favorite petting spots to being in heat or any other activities related to that

I know what you're talking about, because even my males do it, but it's not the same as when a cat is in heat.
If you do that when they're in heat they'll usually make chirping noises and stuff too, and start rolling around or rubbing their back end on you.
I'm not saying that alone means she's in heat, but along with several male cats showing up at the window trying to get at her I would say she's either in heat, or about to go into heat.

Like I said, it could also just be the fact that because she's maturing her hormones are causing her to smell strongly to the cats outside.

Either way, she needs to go in and get fixed right away.
I've known people who had cats that never showed any signs of being in heat, yet they got outside for a short period and ended up pregnant. It only takes a few seconds, and while you can still get them spayed, some vets charge more to spay pregnant cats.

MyBirdIsEvil
January 14th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Oh yeah, I also meant to mention that if you don't get her spayed soon she may start spraying.
Some unfixed female cats will spray just like a male will, and the smell isn't much more pleasant. Many people think only males do this, but with the smell of several other cats around unfixed females will often exhibit this behavior also, especially if the other cats are unaltered.

Mahealani770
January 16th, 2007, 07:42 AM
Wow, Ok guys...thanks for the info! I'm holding my breath for 6 days until Minnie's spay! :fingerscr that she doesn't slip out before then.
~M~

Mahealani770
January 24th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Hello everyone! So, now that we all know that Minnie is all spayed and good to go, why is this white cat so obsessed with her? He/she is at the window EVERY day and stays for HOURS. It breaks my heart to see them pawing at eachother. It's like they want to play together so bad, but they can't because the window is between them :sad:

So, since I know that "the cat lady" takes care of this stray/feral, I decided to try and let Minnie play with him/her. So, I put her on one of Nicky's leashes and took her out to the back yard where the stray cat was to see if they'd play together. It was a bust. It was freezing outside, the stray ran away and I got tied up in a bush with the leash..lol Minnie had no idea what the hell was going on..lol So, I scooped her up and took her back inside. So what happens? The stray comes back and starts pawing at the window again AND he/she actually started rolling her/him self against the window! Almost like he/she was trying to rub her/his scent on the window.

I don't know. It's adorable the way they play togther through the window. Minnie plays hide and seek with her/him. It's adorable but kind of heartbreaking at the same time. Maybe this could be my excuse to get that second cat I've been wanting? You know.."Honey, Minnie needs a friend!!"...lol :evil:

jiorji
January 24th, 2007, 11:02 AM
is Minnie pawing back?

lol you know when cats leave their scent it means that they want to own whatever they leave their scent on. (i get marked every hour of the day lol)

It might be that the feral ran away from you not Minnie. It takes a while for a cat to get adjusted to new surroundings, especially with new sounds, so if you want you can get Minnie back out there when it's warmer and see if they end up playing together. But on that note, me being the paranoid freak that i am, i'd be afraid of a fight breaking out and Minnie getting fleas or whatever else this feral cat might have. So you just have to keep an open mind about those factors.

gee ...safest thing would be to get her an indoor cat buddy to play with. :cool: Then poor grouchy Nicky would be outnumbered and he'll HAVE to join the play.;)

Mahealani770
January 24th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Hey Jiorji! Yes! Minnie paws back! If Minnie walks back and forth on the window sill, or runs up and down it, or hides from the feral, he/she will run and walk with her! We're talking about 4-5 windows in a row..it's kind of like a huge bay window so she has about an 8 ft. sill to play on. Also, Minnie's kitty condo is right up against the window and it has a catnip ball that hangs from one of the levels...how about the stray stretched him/herself up against the window to try and paw at the catnip ball! :laughing: It was sooo cute. I wanted to go get him/her and bring her/him inside to play! But I know better. God only knows what the cat has. He/she won't come near me anyway. He/she was definitely running from ME and not Minnie. However, Minnie was on one side of a Heating/AC unit and the stray was on the other. He/she ran from Minnie when he/she thought Minnie was getting close. I can't wait to go talk to the cat lady and find out everything she knows about the cat. I'd really love to know the gender and the name if it has one.

I was worried that a fight might break out so I kept a close eye. Minnie has had every shot known to catkind, she is on heart worm prevention meds AND is on Frontline Plus for fleas and ticks, so I thought it couldn't hurt to let them play. It failed miserably anyway lol :shrug: I'm going to do my best to try and get some pictures of what's going on with these two :cloud9:

LMAO @ "poor grouchy Nicky"...I wish he'd lighten up already :frustrated:

jiorji
January 24th, 2007, 11:25 AM
oh yeah pictures would be great:thumbs up

Mahealani770
January 27th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Here are the first 2 pictures that I've been able to capture of the feral that tries to play with Minnie through the window. He/she arrives at 6:00 am and is outside of the window as late ast 8:00pm, which is when I close my blinds. I have quite a few pics so I'll have to keep adding a post to get them all on here. Sooo....here he/she is!!! :cloud9:

Mahealani770
January 27th, 2007, 08:27 PM
It is extremely difficult to show you all how the feral and Minnie play. The way they paw at eachother on the window happens soooo fast, that it's been impossible for me to capture it..lol So..sorry for the blurriness :p

Mahealani770
January 27th, 2007, 08:31 PM
Is it a boy or a girl? lol

Mahealani770
January 27th, 2007, 08:44 PM
Here is probably the best shot I have with Minnie AND the feral together and one of Minnie knocked out on the bed..lol :cloud9:

Mahealani770
January 27th, 2007, 08:51 PM
Here's one more of Minnie..Aww..my baby girl :cloud9:

cpietra16
January 27th, 2007, 08:56 PM
I don't know how long you've lived there, but could this cat have lived there before or was fed from your house? What would happen if you let the stray in? Are they long lost soul buddies???questions questions. From the pictures it's almost like this stray has a mission:lovestruck:

Mahealani770
January 27th, 2007, 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by: Cpietra16
I don't know how long you've lived there, but could this cat have lived there before or was fed from your house? What would happen if you let the stray in? Are they long lost soul buddies???questions questions. From the pictures it's almost like this stray has a mission

I have no idea what the deal is. The cat acts pretty feral. He/she BOLTS whenever I come around. As a matter of fact, when I let Nicky out to pee today, he/she was out there at the window and was so afraid of me, that he/she ran across the yard and literally SCALED a 10 foot wall in ONE leap to get away from me. Let's just call it a "he". The only other time I've seen him is at the cat lady's patio. She has a huge cat condo, blankets in baskets and tons of plates of food all over her patio and I saw him in the condo. Now, on top of playing with Minnie through the window, the shots of him on the window were him trying to get at the ball that's hanging from Minnie's condo!! So, that doesn't seem like feral behavior. Also, he NEVER came around before we had Minnie, so I don't think he's been in this apartment before. I have thought several times of trying to get him to come inside, but our front door is around the corner and I just don't know how to get him to come around to the front. I have fed him ONE time, but he was already stalking Minnie at the window by then and then he IGNORED the awesome food that I had out there for him because he was so entranced with Minnie! lol I dunno what to do. I feel bad for them. It's like they want to play so bad but can't.:confused:

cpietra16
January 27th, 2007, 09:21 PM
From the pictures he sure looks like he wants her attention. It would great to see them together. It's hard to get a feral cat to trust you. I know; I am still trying to get the Charlie and Tiger ( previously homeless in winter thread ) to trust me. They are in the house and they still don't let me touch them unless I have food in my hands.:yell:

chico2
January 28th, 2007, 07:29 AM
Mahealani,just because he bolts when he sees you,does not always mean he is a feral.
We have a beautiful Calico coming to our backyard causing problems with my 3 boys,they get all excited seeing her out there.
I know who owns her and she is definetly not feral,but as soon as we come out,she literally flies over a 6 foot fence:laughing:

Your guy,he looks like a boy,is very pretty,love his striped tail:lovestruck: I am glad he's taken care of by someone and that you have no snow and freezing temps,like us:cat:
Oh,and Nicky is adorable,thank's for the pics:lovestruck:

Kristin7
January 28th, 2007, 08:21 AM
How cute, maybe 'he' is in love w/ her? :lovestruck:

I was thinking the same thing, that maybe he isn't so much feral as he is skittish. Many tame cats will bolt if they see strangers outside (or inside, :laughing: ). Maybe he'll get used to you over time.

rainbow
January 28th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Have you asked the cat lady if she knows anything about him/her? :cat:

Mahealani770
January 29th, 2007, 07:41 AM
Rainbow - I have yet to see the cat lady. It's killing me cuz I want to know what the kitty's name is before I name him myself :evil:

It was FREEZING lastnight so I put a Petco box carrier with a hot towel in it outside of our front door with some of Minnie's food that I heated up, hoping that Minnie's friend would be coaxed around to the front door. I kept checking the food and more and more of it was disappearing through the night but I don't think that it was Minnie's friend who was eating it. We took Nicky on his nightly walk around 9:00pm and I saw Minnie's friend on the cat lady's patio, snug in a basket. I saw another BIG tomcat in our back yard just before the walk so I think he may have been the one snacking all night long. I'll let you all know as soon as I talk to the cat lady. Thanks for your comments! :D

P.S. I got really close to the boy's face through the window yesterday and I noticed that his mouth is crooked. He definitely has something wrong in there so that's something else I gotta ask the catlady about :sad:

Mahealani770
January 30th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Still haven't seen the cat lady, but I have been putting food out and I made a bit of a shelter in front of my front door for any strays that need it. No one has gone inside of the box, but something did pull a bowl of food out from inside it..lol I can never catch who is eating, no matter how many times I quietly open the door and try to sneak a peek- nuffin :frustrated:
I'm so disappointed that no one has used the little shelter yet:sad: I'm so proud of it! lol And it's FREEZING outside! Don't they know it's warmer in there? lol :confused:

jiorji
January 30th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Here's one more of Minnie..Aww..my baby girl :cloud9:

I LOOOOVE this picture!:cloud9: Gosh she's spoiled :rolleyes:

and the feral is SO CUTE!! she(i think it's a she) is so pretty!:lovestruck: and I think she wants a cool cat tree like Minnie's too.

it's just so amazing how animals are attracted to each other like that :)

Mahealani770 they probably used the shelter but you don't know about it. Are there any traces of fur in it?

rainbow
January 30th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Mahealani, can't you just go and knock on the cat lady's door?

Mahealani770
February 1st, 2007, 08:09 AM
Hey everybody! I was very sick yesterday so sorry I haven't been able to update this thread. I went and knocked on the cat lady's door and got the scoop on Minnie's window lover..lol HIS name is Butter..short for Butterscotch. He is very wild and always has been. He is not neutered and has had no shots because no one can get a hold of him. So, I see "operation catch feral" coming real soon :o She said that the closest she's ever come to him was holding her hand out to try and touch his head. She said he batted at her and does that everytime she tries to come near. She also said that he wants to be an inside cat so bad and he wants to be loved..but he just doesn't know how :sad: So, of course, my heart aches for him everytime I see him playing at the window. I put my fingers up on the window the other night and tapped. He jumped up and tried to play with my hand through the window :cloud9: His face is crooked and I'm dying to find out why. The cat lady said that it's just the way that he holds it, but I think there's more to it than that.

We had freezing rain lastnight so I winterized the shelter a little more. I wrapped it in plastic and stuffed another towel in it. I mixed up some hot food and put out a container of hot water for whomever is eating and drinking at the shelter. I can't tell if a cat has been in the shelter or not. I brought it into the house lastnight and inspected the towels VERY carefully. I saw no cat hair, but Minnie smelled something as she rolled all over it, and nuzzled it for awhile. At 1:30am the food was untouched. At 6:00am the bowl was licked CLEAN!!! lol I try to sneak out at all hours of the night to get a peek at who it is, but I'll be damned if I can ever catch a glimpse..lol

As soon as we get some money, I'll be going to the project catsnip people to borrow a humane cat trap to try and catch butter. I'm just not sure what to do with him when I catch him. What if it's in the middle of the night? I dont' want him to freeze or freak out. I'm not sure I'd be able to keep him either, as he has never been domesticated. All I know is that I want him neutered and I want him to get his shots but I'm also aware that I only have one shot at this or he'll be scared off forever. I'll let you all know when "operation catch butter" is about to go into effect :D

~M~

chico2
February 1st, 2007, 08:23 AM
Aww Mahealani,with the problems you have right now,you still have enough affection left over for poor little Butter:love:
I did not believe you had freezing weather in Georgia,but I was wrong:sad:
I don't really have any experience with catching ferals(except one a loong time ago,which failed),but there are many here who do.
It would probably be quiet challenging to try to domesticate Butter,but I am sure not impossible..
His jaw could have been damaged in a fight,or maybe he got close enough for someone to kick him,or maybe he has a bad tooth and his face is swollen on one side.
Anyways,thank you for caring about little Butter,he sure is pretty..:lovestruck:
Oh and I hope you are feeling better:fingerscr

jiorji
February 1st, 2007, 09:54 AM
She also said that he wants to be an inside cat so bad and he wants to be loved..but he just doesn't know how :sad: ~M~

awwwwwwwwwww stop!!!:sad: :yell: :yell: :yell: :yell: