Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

catteries..

alleys_mom
January 9th, 2007, 09:53 PM
Just a quick question..

How do these catteries keep unaltered male cats from fighting with eachother and spraying all over?

All these ritzy catteries have such pretty unfixed males, theres bound to be alot of smelly spraying? Do they cage them :( ? Or just go around cleaning alot and dont mind the smell?

Ive never had a male cat in fear of it, I know neutering lowers the chances but I still didnt ever chance it especially since my cats are indoor cats only, its not like they could go outside to spray on things lol.

thanks

~michelle~
January 9th, 2007, 10:18 PM
i have moe and he didnt get fixed until later in life (1.5 years please dont yell at me) and he never sprayed but he was never around other cats or outside

glitterless
January 11th, 2007, 02:43 AM
If you had one young male kitten with no other cats and had him neutered young, he probably wouldn't spray.

From what I've heard, a lot of catteries DO have caged cats and they DO smell! This is just something that us cat lovers have to live with. We are always taking in strays and ferals and often have males spraying.. even my neutered males who spray to mark their territory. Yes, it's annoying, gross, and sometimes the house smells like cats, but I guess that's a price that you pay when you have animals.

CyberKitten
January 11th, 2007, 04:12 AM
My understanding is that proper regulated and credible breeders do have special places for their "boys" - and do keep them well away from their Queens unless I suppose of there are two selected for mating. I cannot imagine that some smell does not occur but if they are in that hobby - and I know no good ones that do it for money (it is not profitable if you do it well anyway tho that is not the right reason or objective for doing so) , they tend to have some ways of getting around the smell but as with everything else, some Toms spray more, some little and some are in the the middle. Until I had my bunny sprayed at 4 mos of age, he sprayed a couple times. It was ugh as well, lol (especially when he did it on my bed!) but he was my baby and what was some extra cleaning for a little furball that gave out so much love! I am sure they see it that way as well.

To respond to the above comment, it just seems all cats and breeds and backgrounds are different. I have "heard" it suggested that because a cat never saw another cat spay, he will not either but I also do not tend to concur with anecdotal observations - tho a few of them have been not too badly off - but I prefer to read the science on the subject and add some subjective notions (esp with regards to cats <g> of my own to the mix.

What I know from the science is that cats who spray usually do so during territorial disputes, during aggressive conflicts, and during sexual encounters. The majority of cats who spray just do their spraying outside. (and while this is not just anothrher good reason to keep a cat indoors where they belong and won't get hurt, there are more phenomenes etc out there). Kitties advertise their presence in a territory by spraying visually conspicuous sites. Cats “time share” territories ( I read that somewhere and liked the saying, lol) , so the marks enable the cats to space themselves out so that they don’t often meet. Some cats spray urine inside their homes. Often indoor spraying results from conflicts between cats in the home or from the resident cat feeling threatened by outside cats or other reasons for anxiety (his person is away a lot, there are changes in the home, illness - this can occur with Toms already neutered).

Most often, cats who spray are reproductively intact males (toms) but females do sometimes spray. Neutering is the most effective way to curb spraying in a tomcat. In one study, 77 percent of cats stopped or significantly reduced spraying within six months of being neutered. Neutered cats can spray as well. Ten percent of male cats neutered before 10 months of age will still spray as adults. In households with numerous cats, at least one cat will likely spray, even if all the cats are neutered.

This reminds me of the humping behaviour. I have noticed q's about humping but that can also continue to some extent amg male cats, dogs and bunnies. My bunny - even after early neutering - sought something to hump (my sock, a cat, my beagle...this was awhile ago, lol). I bought him a toy - a Beanie Buddy almost the same size as him (the Buddie - somewhat larger than the tiny beanies and he on the are occasion would take his "Buddy" and go to it, lol. Better than my foot in my sock or my beagle. <g>

Maybe I just cannot not get alarmed by these actions anymore- I worry if my animals are ill. Other behaviors can always be handled somehow or other.

Inisfad
January 11th, 2007, 01:48 PM
The catteries I've seen do cage their cats, and, frankly, stink. With respect to these few posts about not having to neuter your tom when he's inside, I have found that, whether in or out, unaltered animals are hormonally driven by a biological need to reproduce, the males as well, even thought they don't go into heat. I think it is far kinder to your pet to alter them, even if they never see the outdoors. (Statistically, they live longer too if they're altered).

LM1313
January 12th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Males in catteries DO spray. I was reading a book with the various cat breeds in it and they were talking about choosing a good breeder. Mostly it mentioned the same kinds of things you'd look for in a good dog breeder, but it also said, "Make sure the area the cats are in is clean and hygenic, but keep in mind that the breeders have unaltered males, so there will probably be some odor."

Shamrock
January 12th, 2007, 03:10 PM
In breeding purebred cats, my understanding is that each unaltered male requires four or five females to keep him happy. He needs to mate..and often.:lovestruck:

To avoid fighting and spraying behaviour, many catteries keep only one intact champion stud male, and his harem. Larger catteries can have two or even three, but many more females are then needed. They are generally housed in a seperate section off the main house, and away from the females.
Some intact males in catteries apparently dont spray. Most do though, and when neutered later can continue with this. The odour is not as strong, but still pretty bad.:yuck: