Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

CKC and microchips

mafiaprincess
January 9th, 2007, 08:15 PM
So apparently I know more about US chip brands than Canadian ones... And thought that those brands were used here.. Oops...

I've toyed with a CKC PEN so Cider could do CKC agility.. but all the stages combined make it an expensive registration.. I would like to chip Miss Cider though.. Friend brought up a good point though. Lot of chips don't work in other places.. She has chipped some of her dogs more than once so that they scan in other countries..

CKC approves PetHealth Inc (24petwatch.com), EIDAP Inc (eidapinc.com), Microchip 4 solutions Inc (microchipsolutions.com) and advanced ID Corporation (advancedidcorp.com). And they all take different scanners.. Last one mentioned doesn't even list a scanner... http://www.ckc.ca/en/Portals/0/pdf/NCAC_Chips_update_2005-12-19.pdf

So.. What brand would you recommend.. what is more univerally read.. etc.. help?

technodoll
January 9th, 2007, 10:33 PM
Avid chip :thumbs up

mafiaprincess
January 9th, 2007, 10:34 PM
But CKC doesn't seem to endorse avid unless they market under one of the brands above as well?.. so they'd refuse a pen registration..

I was starting to think avid was american only too..

x.l.r.8
January 9th, 2007, 10:55 PM
Ok this is all news to me, I have an ISO chip, brand imaterial, I only got an ISO chip not the standard N. American because if anything does happen and I need to go back to the UK the ISO is worldwide and the other type (FECAVA) is not readable in the UK, (they can tell the chip is there but can't read the information), the cats were chipped in the UK with ISO and our local vets could read the chips fine, it basically gives a number to call and an ID number so when the center is called they can give details. I had the cats taken to 2 local vets and a local shelter and all could read the ISO chip regardless of the make, the only problem would be if the people reading the chip were to lazy to look up the code to who it was registered, they wouldn't know who to call. The list is available to anyone with a reader. So regarding the 2 standards I thought CKC only recommended ISO due to international travel, but make shouldn't make any difference. The cats are with AVID UK and the boy is with Petrac (the company the vets use) and is CKC approved. All ISO chips are around $60 (we thought about buying the chip and having the vet implant as this way we could choose the make of the chip) but it didn't make any difference. I would question the fact they all need different scanners as we had the option of reregistering the AVID chip with another company in Canada (of our choice) and all could offer this service. Basically it meant the registery that holds the information just passes on the call to the company it is registered to. Meaning all ISO scanners read all ISO chips and FECAVA scanners read FECAVA chips, and many read both now. Best of luck in making a decision.

technodoll
January 9th, 2007, 10:56 PM
Dakotah is CKC registered and has an Avid microchip... i don't understand why the chip brand would cause any problems?.. :confused: :eek:

mafiaprincess
January 9th, 2007, 11:28 PM
It's a PEN registration Techno.. that's the problem..

I assume any papered dog could have any chip they want, but they are pretty hardcore when it comes to the rules for a PEN registration.

mafiaprincess
January 9th, 2007, 11:31 PM
Thank you XLR8 that was more info than I knew. I didn't understand what the ISO standard meant..

I guess now my question to find out is what chips they approve can be universally scanned, cause that seems like the important thing.. And any ISO chip on that list should then take more than the scanners listed...

BMDLuver
January 10th, 2007, 06:26 PM
24 hour petwatch chips can be scanned in north america and europe. We had a dog go to tasmania with it's owners and they scanned the chip on arrival there and it read no problem.

doggy lover
January 10th, 2007, 07:04 PM
Tucker has EIDAP, it even gives you a web site for your pet so if lost and wearing its tag you can look them up on the internet. My last dog had petnet but now the vet is using this one instead?

mafiaprincess
January 10th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Thanks BMD. I didn't know they were scannable elsewhere. I thought I'd heard of 24hour petwatch...

Thank you as well doggy lover, most people I've talked to haven't heard of any of these brands...

OntarioGreys
January 10th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Winnies breeder choose the M4S chip, there is a barcode label(sticker) that comes with the chip and tag that barcode is affixed to the pups CKC registration application,
so maybe those barcode labels are the reason the CKC requires you to select only from certain manufacurers :shrug:

BMDLuver
January 10th, 2007, 08:16 PM
I would agree OG. 24 hour petwatch has the same barcode labels.

mafiaprincess
January 10th, 2007, 08:28 PM
That would make sense OG.. Why wouldn't they require any CKC breeder then to only use those 4 brands if they want the barcode? Actually the link I was using on the CKC wasn't just for a PEN registration.. It was from the main section of faqs.. so maybe now they do require those 4 only?

OntarioGreys
January 10th, 2007, 08:34 PM
It could be at one time accepted more microchip brands but found it made processing applications too slow or there was problems with accuracy transcribing numbers, so decided to go with barcode labels so as to be able to scan the numbers into their computer to make the registration process faster and more accurate (just guessing)

mafiaprincess
January 10th, 2007, 08:47 PM
Even guessing, that makes sense. Thanks OG. I've known 'enough' to not be stupid on microchips, but I've never looked hard into it..

Any suggestions on how to find somewhere willing to implant the brand you want? Do you just call vets and ask what they use? I looked at the petwatch site, they won't sell to individuals (to take to their vet). A rescue org here does it for 45, but I'd have to email to ask what brand they use.. Any last tips on how to go about finding what you want in a brand?

BMDLuver
January 11th, 2007, 05:14 PM
Ask your vet if you supplied him/her with the applicator and chip would he do it on a checkup time for free? If so, I'll get one to you.

On a note about the CKC, they are changing or have just changed their policy on accepted microchips for breeders and the show world. We had a discussion on it recently on another board. They want things more universal and simple to read no matter the location ie. USA showing of a Canadian Reg'd dog etc..

mafiaprincess
January 11th, 2007, 05:32 PM
Thank you BMD. I've never known much about the CKC, so I wasn't sure how this stuff works.

We just went for our major check up, but I'll call and ask because we'll have a heartworm visit in a few months. If so that would rock, thank you.

BMDLuver
January 11th, 2007, 08:03 PM
You're welcome!

Byrd
January 28th, 2007, 06:02 PM
How's it going with the PEN registration? Thinking of getting Willow one too, our obedience instructor said that she could do Rally-O (instructor is a Rally-O judge). We have the 24 hour petwatch microchip as that was just the type that was used when she was chipped.

mafiaprincess
January 29th, 2007, 08:07 AM
It's not yet. Can't start the registration process till she's chipped..
Currently we are taking rally classes for the fun of it. I think I'd like the choice for 2 venues for agility though//