Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

pit bull puppy mill

KatieN
January 9th, 2007, 04:08 PM
I have a problem maybe some of you could help with. I recently learned that a person in my area is running what they call a pit bull rescue. The trouble is that I know this person, and I don't believe they are doing it for the right reason. They are a backyard breeder and are selling their own puppies under the guise of a rescue organization. These people do not work and can barely afford to feed their children. Both of them have managed to scam their way onto disability with obscure, imaginary medical conditions, and now they are trying to make money breeding dogs. They even have a website and are asking for donations to their "rescue" organization. I find the whole thing morally wrong and potentially dangerous. They are NOT the type of people who should have pit bulls- people always say that these dogs are not naturally vicious, they are made that way by stupid owners. Well these are definitely stupid owners. I would like to find a way to report them and shut them down, without them knowing it was me (they scare me). Any ideas?

Golden Girls
January 9th, 2007, 04:19 PM
Hi KatieN Can you not forward their website to the Government? It's against the law not to declare income nor are you allowed to ask for funds from the public without a non-profit status not to mention you must be registered if your breeding and selling puppies.

Knowing the person is an advantage as you can link their name to their site. You can create a bogus e-mail to remain silent. Others will probably have more ideas as well.

Had there already been litters?

erykah1310
January 9th, 2007, 07:23 PM
not to mention you must be registered if your breeding and selling puppies.

"ethical breeders" will follow this but there is no enforcement on this from regular BYB's. Look on the classified sites, they are not registered ( I guarantee it, the majority anyway) yet they are advertising purebreds with no papers and all other tell tale byb signs. No one does anything about it.

Definately do something regarding operating as a non profit without the status. However, In Ontario there is a loop hole... not sure bout where you are.

Frenchy
January 9th, 2007, 07:54 PM
You may want to inform other rescues in the area too, they might help? Or at least, they will advise people to not buy / adopt from these people.

pitgrrl
January 10th, 2007, 08:02 AM
You may want to inform other rescues in the area too, they might help? Or at least, they will advise people to not buy / adopt from these people.

It seems like this is probably your best bet, since you can't really do anything about someone breeding, however irresponsible and idiotic they may be.

There are a few pit bull rescues in BC and I'm sure many more all breed rescues that you could contact.

Golden Girls
January 10th, 2007, 09:01 AM
"ethical breeders" will follow this but there is no enforcement on this from regular BYB's. Look on the classified sites, they are not registered ( I guarantee it, the majority anyway) yet they are advertising purebreds with no papers and all other tell tale byb signs. No one does anything about itHow many do you think are collected disability pensions though? I think we all know the gov't isn't interested in animal welfare :rolleyes: but tax evasion and seeking public funds for a non registered rescue should interest them.

Here's a link where you might find a Pit Bull Rescue in your area which would be a really good idea to contact some of them http://adopt-a-pit-bull.1-800-save-a-pet.com/ :fingerscr

KatieN
January 10th, 2007, 12:47 PM
Thanks to all for the good suggestions- I will definitely follow up on them. I hadn't thought about the tax evasion, and not reporting income, as I was focused mainly on the dog issue. This might be an easier way around it.