Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dogs-Allergies-and Flying! A strange story indeed!

Corrie
January 9th, 2007, 03:46 PM
I traveled last week on West Jet (without my dog) and spoke to the in-flight inquiring if West Jet will still allow small dogs in the cabin of the aircraft (I used to fly Air Canada till they decided no pets in the cabin!) :evil:
He told me Yes, they do allow small pets in the cabin and then he added “and no matter what other passengers say…our policy is not to de-plane your dog”

I asked him what in the world he was talking about and he said that he has had passengers who refuse to sit beside a pet and they will move the passenger..but they have also had a passenger who told them that he was so allergic to dogs that even in the dog was in the 1st row and he was in the 30th row, he would still suffer badly and demanded that the dog be put below…the West Jet crew refused!

Now here is my question to all of you….have any of you ever heard tell of someone whose allergy to a dog is so severe that if they are within 60 to 100 feet of them they will suffer????? This seemed like a load of you know what to me!!! If that was the case, couldn’t and wouldn't he suffer from just sitting beside someone who happens to own a dog and gave them a goodbye snuggle before they traveled and have the dog's dander or hair on them??? :confused:

cpietra16
January 9th, 2007, 04:00 PM
I don't know about how far a person needs to be, but I do k now that the air in a plane is recycled and maybe, just maybe the dander or something may have traveled around the plane:confused: just a thought.

Prin
January 10th, 2007, 12:15 AM
Normally, I'd say it was an exaggeration, but as cpietra said, the air is recirculated, so even if you're far away, chances are they'll be breathing the dander equally all over the plane. :shrug:

That said, I'm pretty allergic to perfumes, and I wouldn't ask somebody to disembark from a plane because they were doused in perfume... I'd probably just take a pill...

I think if the person can't be on the plane, the airline should somehow make a concession for them though. :shrug: