Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

the hard tales of brushing

breeze
January 9th, 2007, 01:06 PM
would anyone know why a female puppy does not like her tale brushed. I bruch her everyday but when it comes to her tale someone has to hold her down or she will run away never to be seen for a while. the cries that come out of her it's like i never heard her before. the vet can't find anything wrong with her or her tail and tell me to be persistant and patient, I know it has to be done but the engery that is required is unbleivable.

hazelrunpack
January 9th, 2007, 01:30 PM
How hairy is your dog's tail? Our hairiest (and therefore the one most in need of brushing :eek: ) hated to have her tail handled (some dogs just do). So to get her over her dislike we did a couple of things.

The first was to just trim the feathers on her tail to a very short (maybe an inch long) length. Short hair is a breeze to brush...no pulling necessary! Handle the tail itself very gently (it is, after all, an extension of the spine) and brush softly--two or three times a day if you have the time--then reward her for good behavior. We started out with treats every time she let us brush her tail, then substituted tummy rubs (which she absolutely adores :cloud9: ) for the reward. By the time her tail feathering grew out, she was used to us handling her tail... She still objects mildly by trying to pull away a few times if we have to do some major mat work, but she's so much better most of the time and comes a'runnin' happily when we ask her if she wants to get brushed. :dog:

The second thing I did was wait till she was falling asleep (but not asleep yet) and run the comb through her tail feathers while she was relaxed. Don't try to fix knots when she's nodding off, though--just groom whatever is loose and easy to do and talk to her in a soft praising voice while you're doing it. She seemed to like that a lot and I think it helped with the rest of the routine.

breeze
January 9th, 2007, 01:40 PM
she loves her tail touched just not bushed. she is losing her puppy fur and her hair is getting very long. because she likes rolling around in the mud, it does get very muddy at times. we try to wash it but that is also a problem. we tried rewards when she let me brush a little of her tail , but the hole tail out of the question. i am still trying i guess it will take time. all my other dogs just sat there and let me brush them, her on the other hand is a different matter. I have also heard because she is a female it will be harder for me no one could tell me why.
:pawprint:

hazelrunpack
January 9th, 2007, 02:48 PM
Nah, our boys are just as sensitive about their tails as the girls are...except that Lil Belle is worse than any of them. :D :laughing: I'm not going to tell the rest of the girls that they're supposed to object more because of their gender...they don't need to know that!

Probably your best bet is to just cut the tail feathers for now and work on her tail while the hair is short. The fur will grow out soon enough and your cleanup will be so much easier. Dried mud is a real pain to get out unless you have a hose hooked up ;) During Mud Season, I keep a sprinkling can full of water handy and use it to sluice the worst of the mud away before they come in. Just let her dry for a while before you try to brush her--wet hair is harder to work with.

doggy lover
January 9th, 2007, 04:43 PM
Try a comb, my dog loves to be brushed and as he has long tail hair and feathers I would hate to cut them short so I am thankful. He has always loved it even as a pup he will lay for hours while you brush him out. Maybe if you hold close to the base of the tail when you comb it out and try not to pull the hair it will work. Just my:2cents:

Prin
January 9th, 2007, 11:20 PM
I like your suggestions, Hazel. Great ideas. :)

Hunter's_owner
January 10th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Yes Hazel, all great ideas:thumbs up I guess after having so many dos with such long feathery tails you get used to what makes it easiest for all involved:thumbs up