Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Plzzz Help.. Pee Probbb

tyty
January 9th, 2007, 07:53 AM
:sad: MY 11 WEEK OLD WAWA IS TRAINING WITH PUPPY PADS AND WAS DOING GREAT THE FIRST 3 WEEKS I HAVE HAD HIM(GOT HIM AT 9 WEEKS) AND NOWWWW HE PEES/POOS OTHER PLACES BESIDES HIS PAD. I CLEAN THE AREAS AND SPRAY SOME STUFF I BOUGHT( IT DOES NOT WORK) WHAT DO I DO?? IS HE ACTING OUT??? HMM PLS HELP THIS IS MY FIRST DOG AND I LOVE HIM TO DEATH....

breeze
January 9th, 2007, 08:09 AM
i never used puppy pads , but for my puppy i had to block off some of her space when she was out of her cage, so she could not go everywhere. it slowly worked.

tenderfoot
January 9th, 2007, 11:49 AM
It is tough for little ones to be perfect at potty training at such a young age.

After the first mistake he physically felt better and that was reward enough. Since no one caught him and corrected him for the mistake he figured it was fine to potty other places.

Often people get their puppy pretty good at house trianing for the first few weeks but then the person feels safe to back off and the mistakes start to happen and the person is baffled.

All puppies need to be monitored for quite a while. Even after you think they have it down. If a pup is making mitakes it is because he is not be monitored enough, or taken to his pad/outside often enough. You need to keep working at his skills with him or he will just keep doing what he is doing all over the house.

Go back to watching him when he is out with you, or managing him when you can't watch him by putting him in a smaller, safe environment or crate.

We have to remember that his mistakes are our mistakes. When you find a spot on the floor your first thought should be - "what should I have done differently?" or "opps, what didn't I do in time?" Not to play the blame game but he is just a baby and you are the one who needs to teach him until he really has it down - that can be as long as a year. He might be great for a few months and then make a mistake, then be great for another few months and have another mistake. Patience and understanding will see you both through this.

KatieN
January 9th, 2007, 02:01 PM
What breed of dog is he? Some breeds are notoriously difficult to housetrain (such as dachshunds- I know from experience!). But he is still very young- patience and persistence is the key. Definitely don't give up on him yet.

chico2
January 9th, 2007, 04:17 PM
I think the OP means Chihuahua when she says WAWA..but I could be wrong:confused:

Angie J
January 10th, 2007, 08:24 AM
that is a "wee small baby". Most breeders wouldn't even let a pup that small leave mommy. You can expect accidents for quite some time. If your pup is trained at 4-6 months you are doing great.

I like to keep a schedual of a new pups potty times. Watch it for a day ... I mean REALY watch it... all day long, and keep a written schedual of the times it pees and poops; By the end of the day you will see a pattern... a loose pattern, but enough to make a schedual by.

Get yourself a cooking timer and set it to go off based on the pups pottying schedual (a little before would be good). Careful though... you may train the pup to need to go out when the timer sounds..lol.

Associate a command with pottying. I use "potty, potty"... soon the pup will know you are inviting it out to relieve itself and will go on command (this is great for rainy or cold evenings).

The more you set the scene for pottying to happen, the more it will be a behavior for the pup, rather than just an 'accident'.

Good luck.... I hate potty training...lol..... but it does end! :)

Angie J

Stacer
January 10th, 2007, 09:00 AM
I don't own a dog, but I've heard that the crate training method is the best for preventing accidents. Because a dog will not relieve itself where it sleeps, it will wait until you bring it outside to do it's business, therefore it learns to hold it until it's appropriate.

Angie J
January 10th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Crate training is excellent.
But, you can't keep a dogggie crated all day; You need to keep a schedual even when it's not in a crate.

Angie J

twisten
January 10th, 2007, 02:14 PM
I think Angie's idea of a schedule is a great one. Brie is doing pretty good with her litter box training but there has still been the odd accidents. I'm going to try a schedule for Brie.