Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Eat Your Feet!!!

Mocha's mum
January 8th, 2007, 10:31 PM
Hey everyone. Here's a question for all of you doggy gurus.....
Mocha, aka 'His Royal Highness' :laughing: licks his feet....ALL THE TIME. Why do pups do this? Considering what they walk through day in and day out :eek: Is it a nervous thing, or should I buy him some more bones to chew on? Or is he trying to tell me that I need to do a better job washing the floor?? :D

Sorry, I'm in a goofy mood today (23 days off, first day back to work, really really tired!). But seriously, is this a bad thing? He doesn't have any sores, or anything in his foot, and he's not licking his little feet raw...And his nails are in good shape....maybe it's the doggy equivalent to chewing your nails? :shrug:

hazelrunpack
January 8th, 2007, 10:35 PM
Our dogs sometimes lick their feet in fall when the grasses start to shed pollen. I think it's an allergy thing with them, especially since washing their feet before they come in seems to help. :shrug:

Is this an incessant thing, or does he just do it now and then for short spurts?

Mocha's mum
January 8th, 2007, 10:42 PM
Oh, it's all the time. He'll chew for a while, then go to sleep, or play with the kitty, and then pause for a little lovin' from mum and dad. And then he's back at it. And he doesn't have a preference. He'll munch on all of them...

OntarioGreys
January 8th, 2007, 11:40 PM
It could be he is playing with his feet, but also could be a sign he is allergic to the food he is eating

Prin
January 9th, 2007, 01:05 AM
I agree. It could be a sign of a food allergy, or when in season, an environmental allergy.

TeriM
January 9th, 2007, 01:09 AM
That was one of Lucy's big signs when she had food allergies. I also found that her paw pads were quite warm and so were her ears (and a little puffy).

Hunter's_owner
January 9th, 2007, 06:32 AM
Hunter has itchy feet too due to allergies too.

He does the same as your dog. Lick his paws for awhile, do something else and then go right back at it again. Bue he has done it so much at one point, when his allergies were really bad that he did make them sore.

Something the vet mentioned to me about itchy feet was that this time of the year, salt used to remove ice off sidewalks can cause itchy feet. Don't know if that is something that is done in your area:shrug:

mafiaprincess
January 9th, 2007, 11:59 AM
Cider was all about feet chewing.. Especially the back ones around a year of age. I assumed allergy.. It may have started as one that stopped like environmental and the seasons changed... Turned into an OCD habit for her. Was chewing them all the time.. Stop playing.. chew on foot.. Everytime she chewed we'd remove her foot from her mouth. Took like 6 months, but we broke the habit..

erykah1310
January 9th, 2007, 12:02 PM
is the between her pads reddish??? Could be yeast infection too:shrug: Kita had this issue a few times in prior years, but nothing lately:pray: and I hope it stays this way.:fingerscr

meb999
January 9th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Buster chewed his feet like crazy when we tried Innova Evo (he had never chewed them before) and then stopped after we switched foods :shrug:

Mocha's mum
January 9th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Well, I thought it was food allergies as well, as he has had problems with his ears. We are in the process of trying to eliminate any trigger foods. He is currently on Natural Balance Potato and Duck formula. He's been on this food for a month, so I'll give it some more time (I heard somewhere that it could take up to 12 weeks for allergens from food to leave the body).

As for his feet, the fur is pinkish (vet says that's from licking), but his pads don't look the least bit inflamed or irritated. :shrug:

I'm thinking about the routes I take with him for walks, and when we go to the greenbelt, he does walk through areas where that 'ice melt' is used. But we don't go that way all the time....

Thank you, everyone, for your feedback. I really appreciate all of the different ideas. It gives me a little more information to work with in trying to sort out this 'mystery'.

Should be interesting in the next couple of days....apparently we're supposed to get a 'blizzard' tonight....we'll see ;) I don't trust those weather people!!