Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Why do dogs howl at sirens?

Shamrock
January 8th, 2007, 09:22 PM
My dog doesnt do this, but there's a fair bit of siren activity in this area.. and I always hear the same neighbour dogs howling, right on cue,and without fail.

Quite a large number of dogs seem compelled to engage in this howling behaviour from what I've observed.

Yet I've never really known "what" it is exactly that prompts this reaction.

I've heard people say that it hurts their ears.. but that doesnt really seem plausible to me.
In some cases the sound is very far in the distance, and the dogs are inside.

My hubby and I were just discussing this over dinner, listening to the doggie symphony..:D

hazelrunpack
January 8th, 2007, 09:56 PM
Our first setter, Gauge :rip: , loved to howl along with the sirens. He'd sit at the door, throw his head way back and really pour his soul into his art. I think it's a form of dog karaoke hehehehe

TeriM
January 8th, 2007, 10:00 PM
Great pic Hazel. I often hear the local coyote pack howling when the ambulance sirens are near us so it must be something to do with the pitch of the siren.

Dad of Dog's
January 8th, 2007, 10:11 PM
It sounds like another dog howling, group barking.

brandynva
January 8th, 2007, 10:16 PM
We have one that does this and two that don't. Often times she'll start howling and we won't know why, then a few minutes later we hear the siren. It's cute.

dogcatharmony
January 8th, 2007, 11:47 PM
I have often wondered this too.........Zoe makes the most skin pricklin howl i have ever heard. the siren could be so distant but she howls like crazy, both my neighbours dogs don't even make a peep and they look at Zoe like she has lost her mind( actually both dogs get a little jumpy when she howls, guess they don't like the sound either)

Prin
January 9th, 2007, 02:20 AM
I think it's the tone of them. :shrug: Maybe sounds like howling or maybe is just too irritating and they think their voices are better.:D

:offtopic: btw, Shammarama, love your avatar! :highfive: Super pretty kitty!

Shamrock
January 9th, 2007, 04:22 PM
:D I think it's the tone of them. :shrug: Maybe sounds like howling or maybe is just too irritating and they think their voices are better.:D

:offtopic: btw, Shammarama, love your avatar! :highfive: Super pretty kitty!

Thanks Prin! I love the new one you have too of your gorgeous Jemma!:highfive: The larger size of the new avatars is great, isnt it?

Well, the howling does seem more likely a "return" communication trigger.
A fire truck to us.. the call of the wild to them.:D
And just like humans..some dogs are more "talkative" than others.

What a great photo of your setter Guage Hazel! Bless his heart.:rip: sounds like he really enjoyed his singing.

Prin
January 10th, 2007, 12:10 AM
Thanks Shamrock.:)

Maybe a firetruck to them is like Abba to us... No matter how much you say you hate it, when it plays somewhere, you have to sing along...

dancing queeeeeen....