Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What is he doing?

Saber
January 8th, 2007, 12:03 PM
My brother has brought his dog over (purebred pit) twice
On christmas day and last night.. Both times she has come over my dog bites her in the legs (not aggressive) at least is doesn't seem aggressive.. it seems pretty playful but its annoying. my brothers dog doesnt do anything but stand there so he can't be biting too hard, right? he also sticks his nose in her crotch.

He also tried doing it to my cousins 14 week old basset hound.

BUT... when we go over to my brothers with him which we've done 4-5 times
he doesn't do that.. he just plays and we take him to the dog park on the weekends and he doesn't do it to any dogs there either. He gets along great with every dog he has met.

So why is he doing it to dogs that come over the house?
is it because they have been females? is he trying to say hes the boss?
or is it just normal puppy play?

He wasn't as bad last night as he was on christmas though.
but Is there anyway to train him not to do that?

4thedogs
January 8th, 2007, 12:37 PM
It could be that she is more comfortable in her home. Smelling is normal, this is how dogs greet. As for biting on the legs. This is a play tactic where the one doing it usually wants the one they are nipping the legs of to chase them.

PetFriendly
January 8th, 2007, 04:16 PM
It could be that she is more comfortable in her home. Smelling is normal, this is how dogs greet. As for biting on the legs. This is a play tactic where the one doing it usually wants the one they are nipping the legs of to chase them.

I agree. After a while a dog with any kind of observations skills will notice that this tactic does not work with a certain dog and will give it up... It takes a while though and if the dog gets a reaction, even once, it'll start up again.