Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How much would YOU spend on a wedding gown?

meb999
January 8th, 2007, 06:31 AM
ok, so I've started shopping for wedding dresses...and HOLY CRAP are they ever expensive.

I looked into renting, but the only models that are up for rental have no lace or tulle, and are usually made of a pretty bulky material (since it has to last)

How much would YOU be willing to spend on a wedding gown...on one hand you only get married once...but one the other hand, you only wear the dress ONE day. :shrug:

I fell in love with a dress...but I think it may be too $$$

Hunter's_owner
January 8th, 2007, 07:12 AM
I have my wedding dress picked out as well, even though I will probably elope. I couldn't pick a price, because I have no idea what I will actually pay until I am really ready to buy one.:o :shrug:

poodletalk
January 8th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Meb,

Have you checked out ami-fer on St.Hubert Street? They have reasonable price dresses.

http://www.ami-fer.com

meb999
January 8th, 2007, 12:13 PM
I went to ami-fer to look at dresses because they have a ton...but I'm not sure I would buy from there. They were on the news last year because they were renting out dresses that they allegedly had sold...let's say you order a brand new wedding gown, and pay FULL price for it, then you find out that they rented it to a few brides before you picked it up....:eek: :frustrated:

erykah1310
January 8th, 2007, 12:18 PM
This is the one i want, and im not gonna settle for anything less. :D
Its pricey , but so beautiful.

erykah1310
January 8th, 2007, 12:20 PM
And the back

I just dont like traditional all white ones, I find the red really makes this dress.
Of course bridesmaids will be wearing red. :D But have to get engaged first.:frustrated:

happycats
January 8th, 2007, 12:34 PM
I got my dress out of the local paper ($1500.00 dress for sale, only used once:D ) I got it with the head piece and everything for $500.00!

My SIL got hers from the Goodwill, now before you go :eek: I went with her and was very surprised to see haw many and how beautiful they were!! and only $50.00 for the most beautiful one (and it was even dry cleaned and boxed) She looked beautiful in it and no one knew where she got it!

Prin
January 8th, 2007, 01:09 PM
Meb, have you tried Chabanel? 555 Chabanel has a wedding dress liquidation thingy. And some on St Hubert have "off the rack" ones that are under $600. :shrug:

TeriM
January 8th, 2007, 01:16 PM
Beautiful dress Erykah. I was lucky and my mom made my dress for me. The fabric and lace was pretty expensive (about $500) but she did a great job. It's a tough decision kinda like those people who spend a small fortune on a wedding when they could actually do a great payment on a house with that money.

joeysmama
January 8th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Erykah, that dress is gorgeous !! It reminds me of the gown Audrey Hepburn wears in Sabrina, except yours has red instead of black. And you could wear it again, not just on your wedding day ! And it won't go out of style. Even if it's expensive you could probably hire someone to make it for you for less money.

I can't even imagine an occasion where I could wear my wedding dress again. I got married in 1981 (yes I am older than dirt, thank you !) and that was the year of the roayal wedding, over the top bell sleeves etc. I didn't look so much like a bride as I did a walking talking SHRINE !! I'm talking miles of lace--bell sleeves, long train. :yuck: I'll brag a little and say I could probably still fit i my gown--but ewwww ! Why would I want to ?????

If I could go back and do it again I would go with simple, strapless a-line and a strand of pearls. And I would spend the big bucks on a great timeless hairstyle and professional make up.

JECM--so glad it's our computer with the problem and not you !!! We missed you !

Byrd
January 8th, 2007, 02:44 PM
I'm getting married in a lavender sundress so I don't count. Not doing the traditional wedding, but if I were I'd probably only pay out $200 - $500.

Oh, and I'll be wearing mine TWICE!!! :p

dtbmnec
January 8th, 2007, 02:54 PM
I couldn't imagine paying more than $1000.

Of course it would all depend on my finances at the time...my parents won't be able to contribute and I'm not sure if the boyfriend's parents would be able to either.

I've seen some really beautiful ones and I've more or less decided that I want something simple and not particularly long (train wise). I don't need to wear enough fabric to cover an Arctic army LOL!

Megan

rainbow
January 8th, 2007, 03:14 PM
I agree with happycats although I'll never have to worry about it again. :D The first time I got married I had a gorgeous white dress that cost $350 back in 1969. The second time I got married was in jeans and a lace top in 1972. :D

poodletalk
January 8th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Erykah,

I saw that dress in the window last year when I was looking for a dress to go to a wedding. It's beautiful! I also love the one with the black embroidery.

Meb, check out Chabanel, but Sposa Bella in St.Leonard have some beautiful dresses as well.They are more expensive then Ami-far and Chabanel, but the service you get is excellent.

Prin
January 8th, 2007, 04:18 PM
Yeah, there are so many "sposas" on St Hubert too and they have crazy service too, and even the most expensive stores will always have "last season's" models cheaper.:shrug:

Peepmouse
January 8th, 2007, 04:20 PM
I spent approx $600 for my wedding dress. I bought a cocktail length dress since I wanted to be able to wear it more than once. I'm the practical girl who can't justify spending tons on money on a dress I'm only going to wear once. I've worn the dress at least 4 or 5 times, but alas :sad:, it doesn't fit me anymore. I've put on some weight since I got married in 1989. Good luck with your dress hunt!:fingerscr :)

jessi76
January 8th, 2007, 04:25 PM
i haven't even started looking yet, but i voted $500-$1k. I'll be paying for it myself, and will probably try to keep it under $500 but if I found something I absolutely HAD to have, I'd go higher. it would have to be a classic timeless style though.

Stacer
January 8th, 2007, 04:33 PM
I paid $500ish for my gown last summer ('05) and it was the previous season's gown, it's amazing how much they come down in price after one season and it's not like they're out of style or dated, it's last years stock for crying out loud! I didn't want to pay too much for the gown, all I could think of was how my husband to be and his groomsmen were paying $100 for the rental of their entire outfits. I went to a great boutique and I told them that I wanted to keep the price low and the girl taking care of me went immediately and got all of the gowns within my price, and there were a tonne of beautiful gowns. I ended up going with the first one I tried on after having tried on like 20, it's alot of work taking gowns on and off. Oh yeah, I rented the crinoline for like 25 bucks from the same store that I bought the dress.

Here's my $450 plus tax dress. A couple pics since I don't get to show them very often anymore:D

I'm a simple girl, I like nice clean lines.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/137/350827529_f0248bb16b.jpg

Details around the top and it also went down the left side where the dress split. The fabric is also gathered (folded) around my waist.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/140/350827532_3125c3e96b.jpg

The open back. And the farmer's tan that I had a hell of a time trying to get rid of.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/150/350827538_3e6f735b3e.jpg

Needless to say I was pretty pleased with the dress. And now its balled up in a bag in my closet and still needs to go to the dry cleaners:D

Skryker
January 8th, 2007, 07:56 PM
That's a beautiful dress, Stacer-lovely and simple, but the details make it. Imagine what it cost when it wasn't on sale?!?

I just can't justify huge money spent on a dress or a huge wedding when so much work needs done on the house. :o And I'm not that fussy on getting all dressed up anyways.

:offtopic: a little-my Grandma was saving an authentic 1920's flapper-style, all beaded wedding dress for me (and the matching bridemaid's dress no less!). It was all put away in proper garment bags, hanging in her in closet, and I loved it. When she was away on vacation once, my aunt threw it out, thinking that no one wanted it and it was just taking up space. Maybe that's why I've never wanted an elaborate dress-mine is gone!!!

ByronsMum
January 8th, 2007, 08:23 PM
I spent around $1000 when all was said and done (including veil, bra thingie that holds in your tummy and lifts your boobs, and tiara). I didn't think that was such a bad deal! But yeah, I know what you are going through, meb! When I started looking, I was shocked at the prices! My advice is to shop around A LOT. Don't limit yourself to one boutique. And go with a shop where the sales person makes you feel like they are tailoring the gown search to what you want, as opposed to just trying to make a sale. And you should be upfront with the sales person about your budget. No sense in trying on that $3,000 gown if it is completely out of your price range!!! And finally, don't worry....the perfect gown will find you!!!!!! :D :D

TeriM
January 8th, 2007, 08:44 PM
BM, Couldn't open the pics.

hazelrunpack
January 8th, 2007, 09:02 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who couldn't open them! For a change it's not my connection causing the problem! :D

I couldn't vote in the poll--my choice wasn't there. We spent less than $350 on our 'wedding' and the bulk of that was for the wedding bands. I was married in white cotton pants and a flannel shirt. Luke, our best man couldn't come into the ceremony because they wouldn't let him into the Courthouse (he was our black lab :D no dogs allowed). We paid $40 for the license and tipped the JOP $25. Hubby scrounged two of his coworkers (we had just moved to town and didn't know anyone else) as witnesses and gave them both swiss army knives as tokens of appreciation. We went home and for the life of me I don't know what we did to celebrate.

I've heard that the length of the marriage is inversely proportional to the cost of the wedding. At that rate, we'll be married for at least 673 more years! :p

TeriM
January 8th, 2007, 09:22 PM
We went home and for the life of me I don't know what we did to celebrate.

I've heard that the length of the marriage is inversely proportional to the cost of the wedding. At that rate, we'll be married for at least 673 more years! :p

I'm sure you thought of something ;) wink, wink, nudge, nudge

Heh, my total wedding was about $5K so I should be good for about 50 years.

Shamrock
January 8th, 2007, 09:31 PM
Some beautiful wedding gowns here.. and beautiful brides also! Lovely to see these pics!:thumbs up

My daughter's wedding gown was $700.. as high as I wanted to go really...but that was eight years ago.

A bit off-topic... but I was astounded to read in a newspaper article last week that the average wedding today costs $29,000. :eek:
I thought that was incredibly high... but I may be out of touch with the rising costs in this area. :confused:
Does that sound reasonable to you?

TeriM
January 8th, 2007, 09:38 PM
A bit off-topic... but I was astounded to read in a newspaper article last week that the average wedding today costs $29,000. :eek:
I thought that was incredibly high... but I may be out of touch with the rising costs in this area. :confused:

I think that is probably pretty accurate. I have been to weddings that I'm sure cost minimum $50-60K and also to small intimate weddings. We personally had about 85 people and bought the food, had people we know do the prep/serv and had a monster salmon BBQ feast for the dinner and just had a dj for the dancing. We had an absolutely fabulous time :love: . I think sometimes people get caught up with "keeping up with the Jones" and at the end they are so stressed that they don't even enjoy themselves.

Stacer
January 8th, 2007, 09:52 PM
Thanks Skryker.

A bit off-topic... but I was astounded to read in a newspaper article last week that the average wedding today costs $29,000.
I thought that was incredibly high... but I may be out of touch with the rising costs in this area.

We managed to do our wedding for about $11,000, which is super cheap considering we had it in Toronto and pretty much bought everything here as well. But we made pretty much everything ourselves which cut costs drastically. There's no way I would pay $29,000 or more on one day of my life, I'd rather put a down payment on a house.

Sorry:offtopic: slightly.

AliSam
January 8th, 2007, 11:27 PM
I voted $500 - $1,000. That being said, my own was only around $200. Because I eloped, I didn't purchase a "traditional" gown. I just purchased a slightly formal dress that I have worn a couple of times since. If I had the formal wedding, I think I would have been willing to pay between $500 & $1,000.

meb999
January 9th, 2007, 10:04 AM
There's no way I would pay $29,000 or more on one day of my life, I'd rather put a down payment on a house.

Sorry:offtopic: slightly.

It all depends on the family and the culture....

I'm marrying an italian. It's an insult to the family and their friends to have a small wedding. although the cost is high, you have to remember that people usually pay their way.

I always imagined gettin' married on a beach in a white bikini, but that's just not possible, and his family would be heartbroken if we did that :shrug:

I can tell you that our wedding wedding will probably cost around that amount, even though I'm a super bargain shopper and plan on doing alot of stuff myself....

meb999
January 9th, 2007, 02:14 PM
What do you guys think of buying on e-bay? The dress I'm in love with is sold on e-bay (brand new, not used -- and about half the price..) But I've never ordered from e-bay...so I'm a little worried. Also, I'd be ordering from China, so it'll pobably cost like 400$ in shipping and customs, right?

Writing4Fun
January 9th, 2007, 02:31 PM
I paid somewhere around $1000 for my dress. If I had to do it over again, I'd definitely go for the simpler, smaller, "non-Italian" :evil: wedding and $100 dress from Sears. :p As for insulting or upsetting our parents, they'd get over it when we gave them a grandchild. ;)

erykah1310
January 9th, 2007, 02:41 PM
As for insulting or upsetting our parents, they'd get over it when we gave them a grandchild. ;)

Italian weddings are very elaborate. I understand how it could be insulting to the family to go small. Its tradion for them. Ebay would be a good place to look, just have to be sure its not used.:shrug:

meb999
January 9th, 2007, 02:43 PM
I paid somewhere around $1000 for my dress. If I had to do it over again, I'd definitely go for the simpler, smaller, "non-Italian" wedding and $100 dress from Sears. As for insulting or upsetting our parents, they'd get over it when we gave them a grandchild.

I know...but in the end most people (at least most of our friends) break even because guests give $$ gifts and they know about how much a wedding costs :shrug: Nic is the youngest and his parents are old (in their early 80's), I'm not sure they'll be around for our kids, so we want to make them happy by throwing a big party :o This really means the world to them...

As for the dress, my mom insists on buying me my dress as a wedding gift (she even wanted to put the down paiement right away on the dress I love), but knowing she has other more important things to spend her money on, I'd rather find a bargain dress :o :shrug:

poodletalk
January 9th, 2007, 02:47 PM
If you order a dress from Ebay, what do you do with it if you don't like it when you try it on? Can you get your money back.

Yes, Italian weddings are very expensive,but you do make your money back and sometimes more :thumbs up

Can you show us a picture of the dress you love?

Stacer
January 9th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Oh yeah, Italian weddings are another story altogether. I've known plenty of Italians and WOW those wedding are in another category. The money that flows is incredible. I am not Italian nor is my hubby, so that kind of money was not even in our realm of thought. We didn't have the money to spend and we weren't getting huge monetary gifts from our guests either.

I'd be wary of purchasing a gown off of ebay, not becasue ebay is bad, but what do you do if it doesn't fit you right or you just don't like the way it looks on you or something. China's a long ways away.
Here's a US site that I believe has a return policy and delivers to Canada. www.bridalonlinestore.com, I remember looking at this site when I was searching.

doggy lover
January 9th, 2007, 05:35 PM
I only paid about 500 for mine but hell that was 25 years ago. But I bought mine in the fall before I got married the following summer, so I got that summers sell off, I got the dress for about half price, its ok if you don't mind last years fashion.

Stacer
January 10th, 2007, 10:38 AM
Meb, read this!! http://www.bridalonlinestore.com/store/bridal_gowns_wedding_dress_ebay.asp

Don't buy your Chinese Ebay dress!!

Writing4Fun
January 10th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Nic is the youngest and his parents are old (in their early 80's), I'm not sure they'll be around for our kids, so we want to make them happy by throwing a big party...As for the dress, my mom insists on buying me my dress as a wedding gift...I'd rather find a bargain dress... You're so nice and thoughtful. :angel:

European weddings (not just Italians ;) ) are a pretty wild experience, if you're not used to them. So much food!!! :eek:

My wedding was just an unpleasant experience all around. :yuck: That's why I'd do it differently, if I could do it again. Nothing wrong with big weddings, if that's what you're into. ;)

heidiho
January 10th, 2007, 03:22 PM
If you have the money i say spend whatever you want,myself have always just wanted to get married on the beach in just a cute little white sundress and sandals...

LM1313
January 10th, 2007, 03:29 PM
To be honest, I would not spend much on a wedding dress. Or a wedding. I would much rather spend it on the honeymoon. ;)

Regarding eBay, just be sure to read the seller's policies carefully, choose a seller with a good return policy, and look at their feedback. There are great sellers on eBay and crap sellers. Look at their feedback and avoid anyone with under 98% positive feedback. Also try for a seller with a LOT of feedback so you know they have lots of satisfied customers . . . not a seller with 100% good feedback, but only ten previous customers.

meb999
January 10th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Meb, read this!! http://www.bridalonlinestore.com/store/bridal_gowns_wedding_dress_ebay.asp

Don't buy your Chinese Ebay dress!!

wow, thanks for the heads up Stacer!! What a difference between the gowns that were ordered and the ones received :eek:

meb999
January 10th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Can you show us a picture of the dress you love?

well...it's honestly not a dress I would have picked just by looking at the picture (I have it in one of my magasines and I didn't even look at it twice. It's really the way it fits me....

Also, the color I would want isn't this one...I like the all diamond white (which is kinda between ivory and white) and the one in the picture is diamond white and silver (so the lace details blends in better in the all diamond white version of the dress) And the picture of the back is coral, I think...so imagine it in white....

here goes...I hope you guys don't laugh at me....

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a13/meb999/flowers/A603.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a13/meb999/flowers/A602.jpg

joeysmama
January 10th, 2007, 05:39 PM
Why would we laugh ?? That's absolutely GORGEOUS !!!!

I can't wait until you're posting pictures from your wedding !

Hunter's_owner
January 10th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Very pretty dress!!!

heidiho
January 10th, 2007, 05:55 PM
what is so funny about that,it is beautiful,what is the price of a dress like that.??

Stacer
January 10th, 2007, 06:00 PM
Wow, nice dress. The lace up back is just like mine, the panel behind the lacing probably comes out so that you can have an open back. Nice.

poodletalk
January 10th, 2007, 06:16 PM
It's absolutely beautiful!

It may be expensive but get it! Don't settle for the bargain dress because you will regret it in the long run.

Shamrock
January 10th, 2007, 06:21 PM
Meb, I think that gown is exquisite!:thumbs up

cpietra16
January 10th, 2007, 06:23 PM
Italian weddings are very elaborate. I understand how it could be insulting to the family to go small. Its tradion for them. :

You can always break with tradition...if nothing else I had people talking for years:D
I'm Italian and my wedding did not come close to a typical Italian priced wedding. To my mom's disgust I chose a non-white wedding dress
(antique, circa 1850) 99 people were invited and that's including the photographer who was jewish, and the band. I chose the Notre Dame Cathedral in old Montreal because it fit the 1850 circa theme:D . We had alot of Japanese tourist stopping us for a picture with them...great memories. My husband is neither Italian or chatholic; news that mom and priest only found out the day before the wedding....too late we already paid for the church and voila...a memorable, inexpensive and all in all a wedding my family will never forget...we've been married for 14 years. My mom still questions the validity of the wedding:D

meb999
January 10th, 2007, 08:00 PM
:o I was afraid you guys would find it tacky or over-the-top :o

i still have alot of time to figure out which dress I'm going to get (8 months, to be exact)...so I'll keep shopping, but I like hearing everyone's thoughts on prices. It helps me see if I'm going overboard.

One of the girls at school told me how much she paid for her dress when she got married last year. She's spanish and got a designer dress....she paid....wait for it....9 000$$$ She said she could lend me her veil (which was 4000$)...I told her no, I wouldn't feel comfortable...what if i ripped it? :eek:

Bearsmom
January 11th, 2007, 08:22 AM
Since my husband and I are 2 different religions, and neither of us were interested in a church wedding, we went the courthouse route.

I got married in an ivory white 2 piece jacket/skirt combo-total cost $150.

Courthouse fees: $85.

Dinner with parents: $175.

Best wedding I've been to :love:

Writing4Fun
January 11th, 2007, 08:33 AM
Meb, that dress is stunning! :love: Listen, my wedding was a disaster, but I didn't care. The three most important things to me were my dress (which I had picked out before my husband even proposed), my horse & buggy and the fact that I came away from it married! :p The rest was just fluff that was put on for everyone else's benefit. If you're totally in love with that dress, get it. Even if you wind up getting married on a beach or in Vegas (not likely, but you never know ;) ), you need that dress if it's important to you. :thumbs up

ETA: Personally, I'd wear that with a short veil that's easy to detach so you can take it off after the ceremony and show off that gorgeous back. You should check with the church, though. When I got married (can it really be 15 years ago?! :eek: ), they were pretty stringent about the "no bare shoulders" rule. Some Italian churches are still a little sticky about that. You might need a shawl or a wrap.

Golden Girls
January 11th, 2007, 09:08 AM
That dress is absolutely stunning. When planning a wedding many things can appear extravagent but a bride's dress is priceless!

rainbow
January 11th, 2007, 02:28 PM
That is a gorgeous dress. :cloud9:

jawert1
January 11th, 2007, 02:37 PM
That dress is beautiful MEB, looks vaguely like mine (which is hanging in the closet never worn lol). I spent 450.00 for mine and have been debating selling or donating for the past few years, as it's gotten to be a pain to move when I move (I've moved 4 times in the past 6 years). I would seriously recommend looking into lower cost options than doing things yourself. As resourceful as a person may be in real, normal life, weddings turn things all sorts of wonky and suddenly there's no time, no budget and the creative streak normally in residence has taken a serious hike. At the end of it, yes it's slightly more money spent, but if the flower's are left to the florist and the centerpieces left to the caterer or a really awesome family member (who isn't getting married), your sanity may yet be intact and operational. :highfive:

Byrd
January 14th, 2007, 08:34 PM
oooohhh I like the asymmetrical piece at the hip. :lovestruck:

This is what I would like to get (or something similar). Celtic style, not showing off too much skin (not a good idea for me :o). Need too lose a bit of weight though or I will look preggers.

~michelle~
January 14th, 2007, 10:23 PM
my friend bought her dresses on ebay. she liked it, i was a brides maid.... ummm the dress wasnt fattering to me but the other two look great in theirs she went with different colours and all the same style for the bridesmaids dresses which was interesting, she got her dress off of ebay as well, it it alright needed some alterations and you can return them just order far far in advance and try on a simular dress in store so you can get an idea of how the style looks on you

Prin
January 15th, 2007, 01:38 AM
Meb, it's great! It's not poofy or anything bad. Just detailed and great! :) :highfive:

glasslass
January 15th, 2007, 02:31 AM
Speaking of EBay, did anyone see the guy that auctioned off his ex-wife's wedding dress a couple years ago. He modeled it and the writeup was hysterically funny.

meb999
January 15th, 2007, 12:06 PM
I think I might get one made...it'll be cheaper than a designer dress, and I can make a mix of a few dresses that I like. What do you guys think of these dresses? I like the organza skirt in the firt one (but without the flower-thingies) So I think I'd like a dress with the corset of the dress I already posted and maybe an organza skirt....:shrug: ...it's a really tough decision....

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a13/meb999/flowers/jaibridal2.jpg

I like the corset of this dress too
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a13/meb999/flowers/Jaibridal1.jpg

oooo..and this one is really pretty too :o
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a13/meb999/flowers/balenciaga.jpg

What do you guys think?

Stacer
January 15th, 2007, 12:32 PM
I think they're all gorgeous. Anything without big pouffy sleeves or ginormous bows is A-OK

coppperbelle
January 15th, 2007, 12:50 PM
http://gonewengland.about.com/od/bostonshopping/a/aarunningbrides.htm

Filene's annual wedding dress sale is big news all over the U.S. There are dresses for $99.00 but it is a zoo and you can't go alone. The money you saved on a dress could be use for a hotel so you get a vacation and a dress all in one weekend.
Seriously this is big in the U.S. I gave you one link to Boston but there are sales in other cities as well. These are designer dresses.

28 years ago I bought my dress for $350.00 from ****. I was not pleased at all. I am tall so I ordered my size in a longer length. When it arrived it was the same length as the one I had tried on. Too late to order another one they put me in the the next size up. It was still a bit short and too big especially in the chest area. They altered it at my expense (I can't believe I let them get away with that) but they had my deposit and I would have lost it if I backed out. The dress did not fit properly in the chest area, I had to buy a special bra and I felt that I was exposed all night afraid to bend over for fear of falling out.
I don't know if they are still in business but if they are, don't go there. I heard many horror stories from people who bought from them.

Byrd
January 15th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Um.... would it be too much to ask for you to post a pic of yourself so we can get an idea of how they would look on you?

I think getting one made is a great idea!!! Something original.

Byrd
January 15th, 2007, 06:01 PM
Don't know if this will help you at all, but I saw a commercial for this place on tv. http://www.davidsbridal.com/index.jsp They are having a $99 sale.

jiorji
January 15th, 2007, 07:21 PM
Um.... would it be too much to ask for you to post a pic of yourself so we can get an idea of how they would look on you?

no no Meb...don't listen :evil: go to the bridal shop and try on EVERY dress and take pictrues of EVERYTHING you try on...and THEN post photos so we can vote :D

I'm getting married in a saree. Maybe green...or orange..:D

Byrd
January 15th, 2007, 07:54 PM
Oh, yeah, that's a better idea!

Hey, I like the saree idea, maybe when I do the Egypt wedding I'll wear traditional Egyptian dress, and when I do the Canadian wedding I'll wear my celtic style. Oooooh the ideas we are getting from this thread.

Prin
January 15th, 2007, 07:58 PM
This one is too breasty for me... I don't know about you, but I prefer the corset to have a more "general" curve to it and not be totally cupping..:o

I like the corset of this dress better... (see? no cupping...)
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a13/meb999/flowers/Jaibridal1.jpg

This one is all the rage now... It's pretty, but all the brides are doing it..:o
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a13/meb999/flowers/balenciaga.jpg

What do you guys think?I like the first one you posted best...:o :o

Prin
January 15th, 2007, 08:03 PM
Have you tried www.theknot.com? They have tons of dresses there...

Prin
January 15th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Great. Now you have me looking at them.:D

This one would be good for my shape...:D I just don't like the beading too much...

Ooo I love this one, but I can't imagine carrying all that material around...

:cloud9:

Hunter's_owner
January 15th, 2007, 08:22 PM
Nice dresses.
Marie-Eve I liked the first one best, and the last one.

I had a picture of the dress I wanted saved on my old computer and the hard drive crashed, and I lost it:sad: I keep looking, but I may never find it again because it was from a couple of years ago:shrug:

Byrd
January 15th, 2007, 08:24 PM
Ooo I love this one, but I can't imagine carrying all that material around...

It actually looks like less material than some of the others. It looks really light IMHO. :shrug:

meb999
January 15th, 2007, 10:24 PM
This one is too breasty for me... I don't know about you, but I prefer the corset to have a more "general" curve to it and not be totally cupping..:o

yeah...I don't like the cupping either...I don't want to accentuate the fact that I'm a little deprived in the boob area (I asked God for big boobs and he misunderstood and gave me a big nose instead!! :D ) But I DO like the skirt (without the flowery thingies). I like that it's light and fluffy...

I'd like to have one made with the top of the first dress I posted and that skirt....

I'd love to take pics...but most places won't let you (until you put a deposit on a dress :o )

Stacer
January 15th, 2007, 10:33 PM
I'd love to take pics...but most places won't let you (until you put a deposit on a dress :o )

Oooh, that's right. I got in crap at a bridal show for taking pics. And I asked at some of the boutiques I went into, just so I could compare the dresses that I tried on. They said no. Stupid rule.

meb999
January 15th, 2007, 10:36 PM
28 years ago I bought my dress for $350.00 from ***. I was not pleased at all. I am tall so I ordered my size in a longer length. When it arrived it was the same length as the one I had tried on. Too late to order another one they put me in the the next size up. It was still a bit short and too big especially in the chest area. They altered it at my expense (I can't believe I let them get away with that) but they had my deposit and I would have lost it if I backed out. The dress did not fit properly in the chest area, I had to buy a special bra and I felt that I was exposed all night afraid to bend over for fear of falling out.
I don't know if they are still in business but if they are, don't go there. I heard many horror stories from people who bought from them.

oooo, I SO have sued they're a$$es :mad:
yes they are still in business. I've heard too many horor stories of most of the shops on St-Hubert, so I don't plan on buying there...it's a good place to shop though.

I went shopping again today, and found three gorgeous dresses....all around 1000$. I'm not sure I'm as in love with them as with the first dress I posted though :shrug:

meb999
January 15th, 2007, 11:33 PM
I found pics of two of the dresses I liked :
this one...only without the straps...(like the second pic)
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a13/meb999/flowers/rivesud2_1.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a13/meb999/flowers/rivesud2_3.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a13/meb999/flowers/rivesud2_2.jpg

and this one...it had a beautifull cathedral train -- the train is all organza (so kinda see-thru...
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a13/meb999/flowers/rivesud_1.jpg

Prin
January 15th, 2007, 11:37 PM
It could so take forever to find a dress, eh?

meb999
January 15th, 2007, 11:38 PM
yeah...it's alittle discouraging....there's so many to chose from....:o

Joey.E.CockersMommy
January 16th, 2007, 12:00 AM
Erykah, that dress is gorgeous !! It reminds me of the gown Audrey Hepburn wears in Sabrina, except yours has red instead of black. And you could wear it again, not just on your wedding day ! And it won't go out of style. Even if it's expensive you could probably hire someone to make it for you for less money.

I can't even imagine an occasion where I could wear my wedding dress again. I got married in 1981 (yes I am older than dirt, thank you !) and that was the year of the roayal wedding, over the top bell sleeves etc. I didn't look so much like a bride as I did a walking talking SHRINE !! I'm talking miles of lace--bell sleeves, long train. :yuck: I'll brag a little and say I could probably still fit i my gown--but ewwww ! Why would I want to ?????

If I could go back and do it again I would go with simple, strapless a-line and a strand of pearls. And I would spend the big bucks on a great timeless hairstyle and professional make up.

JECM--so glad it's our computer with the problem and not you !!! We missed you !

aww gee thanks :o :)

I dont think I would spend more than a 1000 on a wedding gown. But mine was actually free cause it was my moms sort of....well she never actually wore it - cause her and my dad were married during WW2 - so that makes me as old as dirt too. Anyways my grandfather bought the material in China - and my grandmother made the dress - that my mom never wore - which eventually ended up in the closet of my oldest sister - that gave it to me - and then we had it altered to fit. It was real simple ivory color with chinese kind of print on it - I really loved it. Also fitting to as my husband is Asian. :)

CyberKitten
January 16th, 2007, 08:41 PM
My mother made mine. I wish I could say I made it but I was busy working night and day - literally (think 120 plus hours a week or more). Plus, she was such a better seamstress than I am. <g> My sister made her dress for her
1st wedding (shre has married 3 times, a but too much for my liking, lol).

We have Frenchy's in the Maritimes (maybe Frenchy here (ie on the Board) worn designer duds (like even Anne Klein, great designers) but you have to look thry bins and clean them up. A lot of the stuff is from stores gone out of biz but a significant % is clothing that designers consider out of date (like maybe all of 6 mos) and thus they cannot sell it. Not all Frenchy's are alike but some have really good stuff - the same dress you saw at an upscale store in Boston dfor $500 is $6 there - tho it's in a bin and wrinkled.

Here is an article tho I do not completely agree with his view of the Maritimes. We do indeed know our designers, lol

http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/articles/060925fa_fact

Also - you are in Mtl - if you can get to Boston or any city with a Filene's, Filene's basement has an annual bridal sale - it is crazy. I considered getting my dress there (I was after all working in Boston) but I valued my life too much, lol Seriously, I know many yung women from my class and others who bought their wedding dresses at Filene's wedding event. It is Filene's Bargain Basemnt - I'll do a search but I prob won't be as liucky as I was with the French's article in the NYer.

Found one but am not so sure how good it is, lol

http://www.atlantabridal.com/articles/runningbrides.asp
http://zwire.townnews.biz/site/news.cfm?notn=1&ncdr=1&newsid=14133233&BRD=1282&PAG=461&dept_id=182121&rfi=6

Bearsmom - you want different religions - I am divorced from this guy now tho we are still friends (almost typed fiends, lol) - but he was an ex Jesuit (older than me, needless to say) and I come from an Irish Catholic and Jewish family tradition. We did marry at a fav university place tho has a Rabbi,several Priests and to honour my Protestant grandfather (who himself married a Catholic - more of a fuss in their day I can imagine) , a United Church Minister. Nothing like covering all the basis - for us anyway. I had no intention of paying a lot of money for a wedding dress. It was like my
grandma's saying about Christmas - all that fuss over one day, lol

I still have the dress but now as to whether I can still get into it, I weighed something like 83 then, lol (and I weigh more than that now, rofl!) Not saying how much more tho!

Seriously meb, have you thought of having someone make it? It's best when it is a relative like a mom who won't charge you granted, lol but a friend, relative?? If not, come and visit me and we'll do Frenchy's <g>

Good luck!! Don't obsess about the little details. we were almost not going to marry but it was bad enough he was "leaving the Church" - his mother might have had a heart attack if we had well, "shacked up", lol My grandmother actally told me sometimes it's better to "live with them" but she was always ahead of her time, a rebellious Irish woman who'd emigrated to Canada and I suppose she'd already been thru the trauma of marrying outside her faith.

meb999
January 20th, 2007, 10:13 AM
Well, I put the down paiement on a dress yesterday....I'm having one made...please keep your fingers crossed for me that it turns out ok :fingerscr :fingerscr

Prin
January 20th, 2007, 12:43 PM
lol for a second there, I thought you were buying a house.:D

:fingerscr that it goes ok.:) We'll get pics right? Even if they come after the wedding. :)