Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

question about neutering

ti8er
January 7th, 2007, 09:53 PM
Hi,

we neutered our dog when it was still a puppy at 5 months old...it is now 10 months old and my sister noticed that it started to hump...

does it mean it wasnt neutered properly? becuase we neutered it before it was fully developed...plus its also female which makes it even more puzzling

thanks

jesse's mommy
January 7th, 2007, 09:55 PM
First welcome to the forum. We would love to see pictures.

Second, it's probably not an improper neuter, but a dominance issue. The dog is most likely trying to establish it's dominance over the other dog.

~michelle~
January 7th, 2007, 10:03 PM
spend a day at the dog park and youll see everything.... girls humping girls and boys, boys humping boys and girls..it just they're way of displaying dominance. teach her the off command, just for manners sake :D

ti8er
January 7th, 2007, 10:06 PM
it doesnt have much contact with other dogs...it was doing the movements while playing..

Aimster
January 7th, 2007, 10:09 PM
I agree with JM, it probably wasn't a bad neuter. It's just the nature of dogs. My brother has a female JRT and it used to hump one of his childhood stuffed animals and some of the pillows all of the time but doesn't really do it anymore. If you don't like this behaviour you might want to try getting her around other dogs ie: dog park, if you're not doing that already and get her in the mix where other dogs might set your dog straight with it's humping tendencies.

ti8er
January 7th, 2007, 10:18 PM
I agree with JM, it probably wasn't a bad neuter. It's just the nature of dogs. My brother has a female JRT and it used to hump one of his childhood stuffed animals and some of the pillows all of the time but doesn't really do it anymore. If you don't like this behaviour you might want to try getting her around other dogs ie: dog park, if you're not doing that already and get her in the mix where other dogs might set your dog straight with it's humping tendencies.

so what your saying is: it will stop humping if it gets into contact with other dogs
?
what did your brother do to stop his dog from stopping...

ti8er
January 7th, 2007, 10:19 PM
First welcome to the forum. We would love to see pictures.

Second, it's probably not an improper neuter, but a dominance issue. The dog is most likely trying to establish it's dominance over the other dog.

its half pug and chihuahua

i have photos on my phone but i havnt transferred them onto the computer yet