Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Eating Problems

SueNRay
January 7th, 2007, 07:15 PM
Our dog is a picky eater. She tends to stare at the food, and walk away. We have done everything, changed the food, the new one she likes, but still tends to walk away. She eats when she wants. Question is: Do I leave the food down all day, or like a friend told me wait a few minutes and if she does not eat, take it away and put it down at next feeding time.
HELP>

Hunter's_owner
January 7th, 2007, 07:21 PM
I would do exactly what your friend suggested, that is put the food down and give her say 20-30 minutes to eat if she wants. Soon she will learn that nothing better will come along and she will eat.

I would also make sure that she is okay medically;)

What are you currently feeding her?

SueNRay
January 7th, 2007, 07:26 PM
Thanks the advise helps. She was checked out and the Vet said shes perfect, good weight, nothing wrong. Currently, as of last month she is eating Merricks Cowboy Cookout --she loves it I am guessing it has more flavours. Prior we tried many the Vet suggested. She is better with this new food. The other ones I tried were more geared to Shepherds, since we thought that was what she was.

Hunter's_owner
January 7th, 2007, 07:30 PM
Yeah, my dog as a puppy went through picky phases due to my bf's parents sneaking him some leftovers into his food. It became so bad that he wouldn't eat unless their was some extras in his food.:frustrated:

I had to cut that out gradually and there was a time when two days passed before he ate anything at all, but since that third day when he ate all his food in his given time, I haven't had a problem.:o

rainbow
January 7th, 2007, 07:38 PM
How old is she?

SueNRay
January 7th, 2007, 07:40 PM
1.5 years old.

Dad of Dog's
January 7th, 2007, 10:20 PM
I agree with everything Hunter's Owner has said.

Check for health issues.
Don't leave the food out, give 20 minutes for each meal and then it is taken away til the next one.
Don't change brands often if at all and don't mix things into it.

As my trainer said, you would never feed your kids that way so why do it with dogs. We don't say to our kids, here is your breakfast, lunch and dinner and you have all day to eat it. Even animals in the wild don't eat that way.