Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Can Barking Be Trained

SueNRay
January 7th, 2007, 08:04 PM
Okay I am sure many of you out there are going..why? Well, we have an awesome dog. She loves everyone, including the mailman. She does NOT bark. At all. If you knock on the door, ring the door bell...no sounds from her. Our bird will answer you, not the dog. The only time she barks is when my husband plays with her. I guess I am wondering if this can be trained. She is 15 months old. Or are there dogs out there that just never bark?

PetFriendly
January 7th, 2007, 08:14 PM
My parents' dogs have never barked... You have no idea what a blessing it is until you get a dog that barks... Often...

Yes, you can probably teach it to bark, I wouldn't, but that's me.

Dracko
January 7th, 2007, 10:13 PM
I have a cat that never meows but the dog more than makes up for it!

I can see how you would want a dog to bark. I know if I had Dracko with me no one would come near me if he started to bark at them. A dog that doesn't is seen as very passive and not a threat. I guess a happy medium is best...a dog that occasionally barks but will stop when told. Mine only barks at strangers if they are in his space.

Prin
January 7th, 2007, 10:41 PM
I think you just need a second dog.:D

Seriously, not sure if you can train the barky instinct into a dog... Maybe if your dog hangs out with barkers for a bit, she'll be encouraged.:shrug:

I'm with Petfriendly though... Silence is good too.:D

Dracko
January 7th, 2007, 11:10 PM
I agree about hanging out with another barker. Dogs mimic other dogs and often pick up habits. Great idea.

technodoll
January 7th, 2007, 11:23 PM
i'm stuck with silent dogs... :o they *may* bark once if the doorbell rings but that's about it. dakotah, my male, will arooo and "talk" and such but no real barking, except in the rare instance where he's riled by a pack of dogs all barking together... and he will bark once or twice on command ("speak") but that's about it. I am encouraging Maika, my female, those rare times she exhibits guarding instincts, in the hopes that someday she will "get it", LOL! she NEVER talks or rooos or anything, we jokingly call her The Silent One :D Oh well. I guess they don't bark because they don't need to... they're cool with the world :D

ps: YES silence is golden :angel:

~michelle~
January 7th, 2007, 11:32 PM
hahaha when i got braxton he never ever barked. not even when we saw him in the shelter when all the dogs were barking! but that was a side effect of his past. now he barks alot. i miss the days of silence :(

mafiaprincess
January 8th, 2007, 12:08 AM
I'm with Michelle.. Be careful what you wish for. Cider was always miss silent. Something would really have to scare her to get her to make a peep unless crated and angry.

She has gained confidence. She now barks at dogs on tv, the door, the mailman, dogs walking by the house, me at agility when excited, family coming home..

I miss the quiet.. Though some of it is cute.

MyBirdIsEvil
January 8th, 2007, 12:16 AM
The only time she barks is when my husband plays with her.

Walnut barks at other times but also when my b/f plays with her.

Since she associates certain movements he makes while playing, with her barking, we taught her to associate the word "speak" with his movements.

For instance:
b/f takes on really imposing posture, and runs after her, she barks playfully in response.

So he started saying "speak!" when she'd run away. Once she barked he would reward her with lots of attention. We also used hand signals when asking for "speak". It makes it easier because they associate both the word and signal with barking. Once they know how to do it extremely well you can remove the hand signals if you'd like and they'll start associating the word itself.

Basically you want to say the word every time you know she's going to bark. When she does praise and reward her. Then you can start asking for the "speak" command in situations where she doesn't usually bark.

Another option is to say "good speak!" AFTER she barks and pet and reward her. Put emphasis on the word speak and they usually start to associate the word with what they've just done.

Once your dog learns that "speak" means for her to bark you can start telling her to speak when you want her to bark at certain things.
If you want her to bark when someone comes on the porch you can say "speak" every time someone comes on the porch and she'll learn to bark in that situation.

Her not barking isn't necessarily a bad thing though. She probably feels like you are in control of most situations so she doesn't feel the need to speak up. :)

H.P.
January 8th, 2007, 06:34 PM
She probably feels like you are in control of most situations so she doesn't feel the need to speak up. :)

I have to agree, Sydney never barked when someone knocked, until we had an unexpected visit. When they knocked, it startled me, and she saw me jump. Since then, she lets me know if some one comes onto the porch.

PetFriendly
January 8th, 2007, 07:58 PM
I have to agree, Sydney never barked when someone knocked, until we had an unexpected visit. When they knocked, it startled me, and she saw me jump. Since then, she lets me know if some one comes onto the porch.

That sounds alot like what Charley does... For pretty much the same reason :shrug:

Odieandmaggiesd
January 9th, 2007, 08:05 AM
Odie barked once when he was 9 months old...it scared the life out of him...he had no idea where it came from...he barked and run into his room and hid :P

since then...he talks and signs alot...but he'll only bark at ghosts...that is to say...we'll be watching tv...or in bed and all of a sudden he gets up and barks two or three times...

Maggie barks when something goes BOOM...but it's like a BArooooooooooooooooooo...the "BA" part usually gets my hart going since i never see it coming...

I realise this isn't much help...but it was on mymind :P:sorry:

jessi76
January 9th, 2007, 08:59 AM
Or are there dogs out there that just never bark?

basenji's don't bark. in fact they are called "the barkless dog"... they're FAR from silent though, they make plenty of sounds, but generally not "barking".

I'm in agreement w/ the other posters...careful what you wish for.

tenderfoot
January 9th, 2007, 12:59 PM
Yes, you can teach them to bark - but that would mostly be on command not just randomly. You can teach them to bark in response to a trigger - the door bell or knocking. It would probably just be a bark or two - not a full fledged barking fest. He just mght not be naturally up to the job. Do you really want this?

My dogs are permitted to bark (alert) at the door because we live fairly remotely and I want my daughter to be safe when she 's home alone. But when she moves out we are going to retrain to silence.

We have a client whose Portie is so cute - he barks without sound. His mouth is yapping away vigorously but nothing comes out. He is not mute - I have heard him make noise, but he just likes to flap his lips and not say much.

How about teaching the bird to bark?:p