Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Oakville HS

chico2
January 7th, 2007, 09:23 AM
I just checked our www.oakvillehumane.ca and sadly noticed all the animals cats/dogs who have been there for more than a year:sad
They are a nokill shelter unless an animal is seriously hurt.
I never check the animals when I go and donate stuff,too emotional,but I wanted to check if they had the"stray"dog I saw last week..
I know they do their best with tons of volonteers(sp?)an outdoor catrun,dogwalking etc and I still believe the animals are better off there than alone and starving in the streets,but 2-3yrs is a long time:sad:

Frenchy
January 7th, 2007, 09:43 AM
Why did I look at that link ? :( There's a Daisy....I like the fact that they give a $50.00 cash back if you take the dog to an obedience class. :thumbs up

brandynva
January 7th, 2007, 09:45 AM
So is that a reasonable price to adopt up there? See, to me that would be a turn off. Frankly I don't have that kind of money to spend on just adopting a dog. I just don't know with the conversions. See down here, the typical charge is about $100, but it includes a vet visit, spay/neuter and shots. Our local animal shelter is free, but you have to take them to the vet in 10 days. But they are a kill shelter, so I guess they want all the incentives they can get to get the animals adopted.

chico2
January 7th, 2007, 10:34 AM
Hmmmm,Daisy would love to move to Quebec and then there is the declawed kitty who's been at HS since 2005,he too would love to come along;)

Frenchy
January 7th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Chico2,let me check the lotto results and I'll get back to you ! :D Brandy, this is about the same adoption fee here in Quebec. I adopted Daisy at the Laval spca and the fee was $190.00. Her spay was included but I needed to go to their vet in Montreal so I had it done at my vet instead and yes,I did have to pay for it but I didn't mind.

wdawson
January 7th, 2007, 11:37 AM
that is cheaper than hamilton\burlington.
$280 for a dog
$320 for puppies
$180 for cats
$200 for kittens under 6mths

brandynva
January 7th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Interesting. So if you went to a reputable breeder for a purebred, how much would that typically run? Around here most run from $300 to $500. The collie rescue I was looking at was $200 for one of theirs.

Colubridz
January 7th, 2007, 02:04 PM
Here most pure breeds are $800-$1000 plus. You've got to take into account the difference between CDN and American prices as well though, it might seem expensive but that's most likely because it's in CND dollars.

Kayla

chico2
January 7th, 2007, 04:34 PM
I know,at least from the Oakville HS,they do not give away cats or dogs for $5.00,they will give you a health guarantee and the animal is usually s/n.
If there is an animal with a medical problem they will tell you.
Here where I am a mutt from a pet-shop will sell from $500-1000 and we all know the problems that will often arise from puppy-mill pups.
I once ignorantly looked in to a breeder for tea-cup chihuahuas,she wanted $1.500 and this was at least 15yrs ago.
If I ever want another cat or a dog,the Oakville HS is the place I'll go..
They have many more cats and dogs than what is listed,kittens and puppies are not usually listed,they like the grown ups to get a home first.
As for US and Can $$$,there really is only a 15 cent difference,we pay(at the moment)only 85cents for a US $$.

wdawson
January 7th, 2007, 05:52 PM
chico2

i would never put price before the pet....unless it was really outragous....you can't beat the spca....and oakville has a great reputation....as well as the burl\ham spca.

Frenchy
January 7th, 2007, 05:58 PM
chico2

i would never put price before the pet....unless it was really outragous....you can't beat the spca....and oakville has a great reputation....as well as the burl\ham spca.

You're right. If some people think it's too expensive (wich I don't) they have to look at it as making a donation at the same time. Spca and HS have to feed all the animals and give vet care for some of them. What would we do if we didn't have any humane societies? All the dogs and cats would go into shelter and be put down after a couple of days to make room for the others coming in.

Bearsmom
January 7th, 2007, 06:05 PM
I adopted one of their "special needs" cats quite awhile ago, and she lived to be 14 years old. They're a wonderful HS!

MyBirdIsEvil
January 7th, 2007, 06:22 PM
Interesting. So if you went to a reputable breeder for a purebred, how much would that typically run? Around here most run from $300 to $500. The collie rescue I was looking at was $200 for one of theirs.

I'm in the U.S also, and 300-500 seems extremely cheap for anyone who was actually reputable. It depends on the type of dog, but the lowest price I could find for a doberman (from a breeder I would even consider) is 1000 dollars, for a pet quality dog.

That much from a breeder that has an CERF and OFA certification of at least good on both parents, and dogs that are bred have been titled. They don't have more than one litter per year, and the mothers aren't bred repeatedly - maybe twice.
In fact I have yet to see a reputable breeder charge 300-500 dollars for MOST breeds. 500 dollars and up sounds more likely, but it depends on what you consider reputable.

Someone who doesn't have parents OFA and CERF rated at least good, breeds several litters, doesn't have a spay/neuter contract on pet quality dogs -just to name a few things that would be questionable - isn't reputable IMO.
They also shouldn't have ads, whether it be in the newspaper, online, or anywhere else for that matter, and they should be able to explain to you what their goal for the line is.
Any reputable breeder should be able to tell you EXACTLY what qualities they are trying to attain in their dogs. Any breeder that mentions profit, or says they're breeding to produce pets is unethical.

brandynva
January 7th, 2007, 06:26 PM
I've never looked into it in detail. I've never been interested in a purebred for myself. I agree that dogs or cats should be "given away for $5.00." I know that there are places that charge an outrageous fee for a stray and they don't provide a health guarantee or s/n. But that is here. They don't even follow up to see if you followed the contract. No home visits or anything. I don't think people get into pet ownership realizing the costs or the care involved. I was merely curious about the price difference between Canadian dollars and US dollars. :thumbs up

MyBirdIsEvil
January 7th, 2007, 06:33 PM
I haven't noticed a huge difference myself between what Canadian and U.S breeders charge. (After you convert the Canadian price to U.S dollars)

If a breeder is charging $1000 Canadian, that converts to $852.59 U.S.

MyBirdIsEvil
January 7th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Here are the prices in the original link in U.S dollars if you were wondering.

Puppy $200 + $50 = $250(213.01 U.S) $50 rebate if you go to training classes.
Dog $175 + $50 = $225(191.77 U.S) $50 rebate if you go to training classes.
Kitten $150 (127.87 U.S)
Cat $125 (106.56 U.S)

I'm using this site btw:
http://www.xe.com/ucc/

brandynva
January 7th, 2007, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the conversion! That actually lines up comparably with HS charges here. I know our local county is $150 for dogs $75 for cats. I belive it's more if unneutered or spayed but you get a refund after providing proof. Anyway, that clears it up for me! :thumbs up

~michelle~
January 7th, 2007, 09:41 PM
in london we have the humane society and the local animal care center (the city pound) the city pound here where i got aiden and braxton they were 198.00 aiden was neutered before he came in and they neutered brax to make him more adoptable i guess. but usually they will give you a voucher to get the animal fixed, they alsogave them one set of shots and told you to bring to the vet within 10 days if any problems they would take the animal back. the humane society here is 250 for puppies under 8mos, 195 for 8mos-7years and 8years + 95$ they had a huge jump in prices a while ago (like over 300$ for a puppy) but adoptions dropped off that they put the price back down. the adoption fees there include the following Your adoption fee of a dog or cat includes:

* Spay or neuter of animal
* Veterinary examination
* Any initial vaccinations
* Initial deworming for roundworms
* 1 dose of Advantage for fleas

and may also include (if required during stay at shelter):

* Rabies vaccination (at 16 weeks or older)
* Initial treatment for ear mites and other minor ailments
* Booster vaccinations

this is actually really cheap to get a dog there because if you got a dog from a BYB which quite frankly many people are unaware of the horrors so many still but from them -and you payed say 300 for the dog it barely comes with any of this and the vet bill for this stuff would be more than the adoption fee. so i think shelter prices are great :) they really can discourage people buying from cheap BYBs

brandynva
January 7th, 2007, 11:32 PM
Yes, this is true about discouraging people from buying from BYB's. I wonder though, how many of those dogs wind up in the pound and you are buying them anyway. Probably quite a few, but at least it sounds like you get a good vetting and at least know what you are getting into in advance. Two of our dogs are from known BYB's. As a matter of fact, the lady we got Roscoe from supposedly breeds border collies, but she leaves her bitch out unsecured to roam around. Roscoe is mixed with Blue Heeler. She said it was an "accident." Well, since I got him I have seen her advertise again and he was born just this past March. Anyway, since joining this forum mine eyes have been opened to the horrors and cruelty that exist and my views on pet ownership have forever changed. Heck, I now carefully scrutinize the pet food bags and now am going to move up. I used to think Iams and Science Diet were "it." Anyway, I'm going to stop ranting now and go to bed. Thanks for the info guys. And chico, I hope this HS gets all of its animals adopted out. I'm sorry if I got things a bit :offtopic: . :o

MyBirdIsEvil
January 8th, 2007, 12:00 AM
I wonder though, how many of those dogs wind up in the pound and you are buying them anyway. Probably quite a few, but at least it sounds like you get a good vetting and at least know what you are getting into in advance.

I don't look at it that way. I look at it like this:
If you buy from a breeder you're giving them money to breed more and more unhealthy puppies and add to the pet population problem.

If you adopt from a rescue you may be getting the same type of dog but you're giving them money to rescue more dogs and educate people, rather than to breed more dogs. The dog is also usually evaluated for health and temperment, so you're less likely to get a dog that doesn't fit in at your home or needs massive veterinary care. Also, a shelter is more likely to help you with any problems that do come up, whereas a BYB breeder is probably not going to give a crap if you end up with problems because it would cut into their profit.

kashtin's kin
January 8th, 2007, 12:48 AM
Interesting discussion (good topic-starter, :thumbs up chico2!), with some good points, philosophies and comparisons i.e. cost, shelters. My pet-har-peeve/issue right now unfortunately doesn't address the plight of existing animals at shelters et al. After making friends [from afar], capturing and gentling/releasing (3 gentled, 2 released) with my feral cat crew of 2 adults and 3 kittens over the past 6 months, I am really focussed on the whole spay and neuter thing.

It cost between 2-3000 Canadian dollars to s/n and vaccinate just 5 cats/kittens...money I definitely could not afford ("Kraft Dinner again, and again, and again!!!"). If I am faced with a similar situation in the future, I will not be able to underwrite all those vet visits:sad: . In my area in particular there is absolutely no subsidy for s/n aside from a miniscule 'multiple pet' discount at local clinics; it would have been much cheaper and easier!! for me to adopt from the nearest shelter.

However, Darrell and Meryl and kids were almost literally in my [country] back yard, and I just did what I could (became a bit of an almost f/t mission, which I don't regret one bit, but financially and emotionally :eek: cannot repeat...at least not to that extent!!). I've done a bit of research in terms of trying to compile info i.e talk to vets, people in other areas involved in facilitating low-cost s/n clinics and so forth; Famille Feral has kept me so busy all summer/fall that I'm just starting to try to kick my quest into higher gear.

I know some parts of some countries have some good s/n programs, but they seem to be relatively few and far between...compared to what could exist with a lot more?! will/work/cooperation etc. Of course many great organizations have been toiling away trying to get out the s/n word for ages :thumbs up , and I'm certainly not suggesting that I'm this amazing force who will fix-har-this difficult issue-I wish!!!!

I'm just hoping that in my small, individual way I can put as much time and energy as I can (in between serving my :rolleyes: furmasters every day!) into doing whatever is possible with regard to s/n advocacy, and making s/n more accessible. Less animals...creating less animals, and all that!! Although I'm a bit of a terrier when it comes to research and investigation, the thought of all that digging (phone calls, internet) is a bit daunting, I have my feral family experience to drive me.

A drop in the bucket perhaps, but many drops do eventually equal a full bucket, and all the support I've received on this BB since first posting back in June has helped me to believe that there are many people more or less like me. As the 2 now 'pretty domestic' kittens we adopted settle in completely (and the 'second Pepper' is assimilated into my s.i.l.'s cat-oriented household in a short while) I'll hopefully build up some steam with this Operation More Accessible [s/n] Operations thing :fingerscr .

And, good on you for EVERYONE who is working in any way to make the lives of existing animals better...and to make LITTERING harder to do!!!!

brandynva
January 8th, 2007, 07:11 AM
I don't look at it that way. I look at it like this:
If you buy from a breeder you're giving them money to breed more and more unhealthy puppies and add to the pet population problem.

If you adopt from a rescue you may be getting the same type of dog but you're giving them money to rescue more dogs and educate people, rather than to breed more dogs. The dog is also usually evaluated for health and temperment, so you're less likely to get a dog that doesn't fit in at your home or needs massive veterinary care. Also, a shelter is more likely to help you with any problems that do come up, whereas a BYB breeder is probably not going to give a crap if you end up with problems because it would cut into their profit.

I agree! That's what I meant. I didn't mean that you know what you're getting at a breeder. :D I meant you know what you're getting from a pound as far as vetting goes. At least the one chico and some of the others mentioned. I don't think byb's should be allowed to do what they do.

chico2
January 8th, 2007, 07:57 AM
KK.you are definetly one of the"good"people,your ordeal and financial hardship to rescue these 4 cuties,I should say 5,including fixing the Tom is worth a kitty-medal:thumbs up
One thing I would not do though is live on Mac Cheese:yuck: :D
Also your posts were a source of entertainment,due to your great writingskills.
Keep up the good work!!

As for puppy-mills,BYB's and petstores,I must admit many years ago,I was totally ignorant of these even exsisting as I suspect many people are.
I was only alerted to the miserable condition of many puppies after walking in to the only Pet-store(now closed:thumbs up )we had selling pups here.
I left the store in tears and never returned.
We in Oakville,to my knowledge,don't have a pet-store selling puppies/kittens anymore,but I am sure BYB's are still in business big-time,I know of a few and until there is a law protecting our 4-legged friends it will continue.
It would be great if all our vets would put one day/month aside to give s/n clinics for a minimal fee,it would be a big step in the right direction.
But I doubt that will ever happen:sad:
My"old"vet,a wonderful person,used to have $10 rabies-shot-days once a month,the line-ups of people and pets were incredible..
she however returned home to Scotland to my dismay:sad:

brandynva
January 8th, 2007, 03:59 PM
One thing we have around here is low cost s/n places. Usually it's a mobile clinic. However, a local vet was offering spay for $65 and neuter for $60. I took them up on it for Sasha! They also offer reduced cost rabies at the time if your pet isn't UTD. I believe it's $8. There was also a clinic built nearby specifically for low cost S/N. I think it's great. In our county we have an overabundance of stray cats...

~michelle~
January 8th, 2007, 11:34 PM
theres a clinic in london On spay 80$ neuter 50$ for cats so its not too bad!:

chico2
January 9th, 2007, 07:44 AM
Wow Micelle,that's great,every city should have a clinic like that:thumbs up