Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

B-bop and kitty nuggets

erykah1310
January 7th, 2007, 12:26 AM
Bailey has shown an increased interest in eating kitty poop:yuck: If you leave him unattended for a bit and he finds you later on in the house somewhere, he has kitty litter on his nose. Just a few minutes ago I caught him snout in!!!:yuck: Enjoying the delicacy that is cat crap! :yuck:
How can i get him to stop doing this????:shrug:

TeriM
January 7th, 2007, 12:34 AM
LOL, I can't believe with all your doggies that this is the first to do this. Basically in my experience you can't stop them. Once I even tried the corn litter and Lucy was obsessed with eating the litter (now I have pine and she leaves it alone). I turned the litter box around so it faces the wall so now they can't get into it. Many others have used baby gates for specific area, or used a cat door into a closet etc.

erykah1310
January 7th, 2007, 12:37 AM
This is the first of my dogs to have an appetite for kitty crap... for a while atleast. When B-bop is munching away Kita and Puppy are looking at him like " What the???, Dude what are you doing?" I hope they dont get any ideas.

Prin
January 7th, 2007, 12:50 AM
I'm not Ms. Kitty, and the only way I know of is to kiddie gate the room with the litter so the kitty can get under but not the doggy.:o

rainbow
January 7th, 2007, 12:52 AM
Isn't there any way you can block his access to the litterbox with a baby gate or whatever?

erykah1310
January 7th, 2007, 12:54 AM
I think im gonna move all the litter boxes to the basement, put in a kitty door and hope for the best.
( I have 5 litter boxes) gonna have to make sure they know where the bathroom has moved to.:o

MyBirdIsEvil
January 7th, 2007, 02:46 AM
We didn't teach Walnut to stay out of the litter box, we just taught her to completely stay out of the laundry room, which is where the litter box is. If she so much as sticks a paw or her head in there she gets a stern "NO" and "OUT". We have caught her at the litter box itself, so she knows not to get into that either, but it works much better to just keep her out of the room, since if she's not in there she won't be as tempted.
She doesn't go in there at all while we're around, and very rarely does she attempt it while we're not. (You can tell when she's been in the box by the indentations :yuck: ). My new dog is slowly learning to stay out of that room, and my collie never had an interest in going in there, though he'll attempt to eat out of the boxes at the houses of other people.
We also keep the box as clean as possible, which deters them.
The only time I have a problem is when I forget to scoop it out or we're not at home much so it gets messy.

Hunter's_owner
January 7th, 2007, 05:43 PM
I think im gonna move all the litter boxes to the basement, put in a kitty door and hope for the best.
( I have 5 litter boxes) gonna have to make sure they know where the bathroom has moved to.:o

That is what my room mate did with the cat litter, and it worked out great. Now the cats also have a place to go to get away from Hunter if they want;)

glasslass
January 7th, 2007, 11:02 PM
Ummmm! Kitty Kandy!:p

Dracko
January 7th, 2007, 11:07 PM
Dracko did it a few times when he was a puppy. Man, having a dog walk up to you with kitty litter on their nose/lips is about the worst!!!

FORTUNATELY he outgrew it and even though I have a cat door on the room the litter box is, if he goes in there he just sniffs it and walks away. Whew...