Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

puppies and kittens in pet shops

My_Wiem_Zoe
January 6th, 2007, 08:09 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[quote=Lucky Rescue;38769]Never buy a puppy or kitten at a pet store! These animals come from puppy and kitten mills and/or disreputable "backyard breeders" who breed ONLY for profit.

Don't be fooled by pet store staff saying they come from "responsible breeders". NO responsible breeder would even think of dumping their puppies/kittens at a pet store, to be sold to anyone who has the money!

Every time one of these animals is purchased it financially rewards and encourages the millers and perpetuates the incredible cruelty that is involved with producing the puppies and kittens!QUOTE]

i have been thinking for a long time about owning my own pet shop because i love teaching people how to take care of them and also to know that every one of my pets is going to a good home. i think that the selling of puppies and kittens in a pets store that people like me would own would be pound puppies and kittens and would be ok because i would make she they were taken care of and also that they were going to wonderful homes.... am i just in a fantasy land or would everyone on this forum disagree with what i was doing....just confused i guess....does anyone think that would be ethically wrong... just curious because i realized that this is what i really want to do!!!:D :dog: :cat: :pawprint: :usa:

Prin
January 6th, 2007, 10:36 PM
Sure, putting secondhand doggies up for adoption in a pet store is ok. Some pet stores in Ontario already do it. It gives the doggies some exposure.

But, there's a downside. People in rescue don't like to send a dog home with their new family on the same day. Most people who impulse buy a dog, regardless of whether or not they look good on paper, aren't likely to have thought it through and there are likely going to be a lot of returns or dumps as a result, if people are allowed to walk out of the store with an animal.

To me, fosterhomes are better. :shrug: The dogs get a chance to live in a family setting to become better doggy companions and have a better chance in their forever home.

How would the dogs get socialized if they're in cages? Housetrained? :shrug:

MyBirdIsEvil
January 7th, 2007, 12:00 AM
To me, fosterhomes are better. The dogs get a chance to live in a family setting to become better doggy companions and have a better chance in their forever home.

I think it kind of depends on what you're comparing it too. Sure, compared to a foster home, adopting out a dog through a pet store is not going to be the best option, but there are a shortage of fosters and rescues, and not all the dogs, even highly adoptable ones, can go to a foster home or a good shelter.

If you're looking at it in comparison to what kind of enviroment the dogs are in compared to somewhere like my local pound, then they'd be better off going to the pet store and being sold.
My local pound doesn't even have funding to give the dogs vet care, and they adopt out to just about anyone who wants a dog, for 15 dollars, and there are many more pounds in the U.S just like this, especially in small towns.
At least if many of the puppies went to a pet store instead, they'd be much less likely to get sick, be euthanized, and be unadopted. People are MUCH more likely to buy from a pet store than adopt from the kind of pound situation like we have here. The pet store makes the dogs look presentable, gives them basic care and a dry place to sleep. At the pound they're dirty, smelly, they look sickly, haven't been evaluated, have no vet care, and it deters people from even so much as going down there to see the dogs - almost completely eliminating the chance that the dog will be adopted, even if it would make a good companion.
Even if some of the dogs were to end up back in the pound, the pet store won't have added anymore dogs to the pet population, since they came from there in the first place.

My_Wiem_Zoe
January 8th, 2007, 07:06 PM
well i would have a big yard out back and i would have a return ability if the dogs didnt work out

will that work out

jiorji
January 8th, 2007, 07:15 PM
why not call it an "animal shelter" then??

happycats
January 8th, 2007, 07:18 PM
why not call it an "animal shelter" then??

I think she means more like a petsmart, where they sell pet supplies but also adopt out animals.

jiorji
January 8th, 2007, 07:22 PM
i know what she meant.

petsmart sells animals. I wouldn't consider them the top example for animal adoptions. They still sell birds and rodents and other animals that can too end up in the wrong hands.

happycats
January 8th, 2007, 07:27 PM
i know what she meant.

petsmart sells animals. I wouldn't consider them the top example for animal adoptions. They still sell birds and rodents and other animals that can too end up in the wrong hands.

No it's not a top example, but it's much better then a pet store that's main merchandise is puppies and kittens IMO

Riesa
January 10th, 2007, 01:36 PM
AHHHHH I hate to see dogs for sale in pet stores they are the biggest market for Puppy Mills. I have seen pups such as Papillon types or Yorkie types for 800 to 1200 and no registration no breeder backup no anything. It makes me so mad :mad: if people are not interested in getting a registered dog go save one from the SPCA or local pound and take the money they save and donate it to a shelter or put it away in case their dog gets sick. I will not shop for my pet supplies at any store that sell these kinds of pups and I wish more people would do the same!