Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

need some opinons

~michelle~
January 6th, 2007, 07:27 PM
ok so i want some opinons because i dont really know what to do.
so when we first got Logan he would bark at some men, usually during night but usually anyone(men) who either came up behind us or appeared suddenly. that behaviour has deminished alot however he still barks and growls at certain men at night. really creepy looking men. the type of men you wish you could get away with telling them please stand 50ft away or more. he also will bark at men who appear to be under the influence of drugs and or alcohol and are too close (within 9-10 feet or so)
my problem is i dont know how much i should work on diminishing this behaviour. i live downtown and the amount of violence in the area recently i cant say i mind, but i also worry if i allow this behaviour it will escalate.
just so everyone knows this is not a trained behaviour he has always done this

Dad of Dog's
January 6th, 2007, 07:50 PM
There are a couple of dogs that go to our trainer that are scared of men. One has been going there the past few weeks and now no longer barks or growls at me when I come in. I wasn't able to go near her without her barking and growling at me and just the other day I played ball with her for a few minutes, gave her a pet and some treats and was even able to get her to do a couple tricks. She looked like a totally different dog.

~michelle~
January 6th, 2007, 07:54 PM
he doesnt appear to be affraid, his body language doesnt change much and there are some men (most of them actually) that he loves. its only a few kinds of men, that he barks at. he usually barks and growls a couple of times and thats it theres no change in his body language except for once or twice when i had some creepy men come up within a few feet of me. then hell be more defensive and start to stand his ground. but he as never attempted to bite anyone. we do know that he really dislikes the smell of marijuana too and will bark at guys who smell of it.

Dad of Dog's
January 6th, 2007, 08:00 PM
Sounds like you found your answer. Men you don't trust your dog doesn't trust.

~michelle~
January 6th, 2007, 08:09 PM
no he hasnt liked a couple of my friends, but they smelled like weed. he's a rescue, we got him when he was 8 months but im sure the woman who had him didnt train this in him (she didnt/couldnt train him anything which is why she got rid of him) so i dont know if he had bad experiences with certain looking men that smelled of marijuana maybe? but i dont know still if i should try to diminish this behaviour or not..... ? i also might wanna add living downtown theres alot of half way houses and rehab facilities within a few block radius of my house and these are the guys hes usually not a fan of. (not saying all people there are bad people but there are quite a few bad people near where i live) but its not excessive, say we walk past at least 100+ (id say at least 30 are from rehab clinics in the area)people per day and he barks and growls at someone maybe once every 2-3 days on evening walks when it is dark usually.

Prin
January 6th, 2007, 11:18 PM
Sorry but you have to go with your instinct, IMO... Even if you decide you don't like him barking at strangers or whatever, if your body language and the emotions you convey are the opposite (insecurity, fear), he'll pick up on that anyway and react.:shrug:

~michelle~
January 7th, 2007, 07:43 AM
Logan usually selects who he barks at my emotions and body laguage has little to do with it usually (he also does this when chris is walking him) there are friends of mine that he doesnt like and people i know that ive seen that he hates and i dont mind them at all. :shrug: so i dont think i have alot to do with it. he has also hated my dad barked excessively at my dad until he realized chris and i knew him and he was ok. he does this for a couple of mins everytime my dad comes over
we have managed to down this behaviour alot, but i guess my main concern is if i allow him to bark and growl at a few people am i setting him up to become aggressive towards humans?

SarahLynn123
January 7th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Personally I would not try to stop it unless it did escalate, as in she starts to bark at everyone.

Walking through areas like you are, I would feel safer if my dog barked at questionable people and they all stayed away from us. (I would even be OK with her barking at everyone but Im a nervous person!)

It's your call, whatever your comfortable with.

4thedogs
January 7th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Dogs tend to be a very good judge of character even if their person is not so good at it. They will react with our actions and some may react to those that act/smell strange around them.

dogcatharmony
January 7th, 2007, 02:00 PM
My dog does this also at certain men , I trust her instinct and steer clear of the people she growls at. They can sense so much more than we can, and seeing she only growls at certain people I take her word for it that there is something hinky with that person. i would be worried if it was everyone she met that she growled at........this is just my opinon but i feel safe when i walk her.