Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog Tracks

jesse's mommy
January 6th, 2007, 07:23 PM
Alright knowledgable gurus, tell me the pros and cons of dog tracks. There is a pretty big dog track around here that I've avoided for over a year now. Honey REALLY wants to take me there, but I just can't bring myself to it. For some reason -- to me -- they seem cruel. But in reality, that is just my personal uneducated opinion. So I'm asking everyone, please educate me. Tell me everything you know about them so I can give him a reason as to why or why not I'll go with him.

wdawson
January 6th, 2007, 07:34 PM
is jessi a trans gender.......pit by day and grey hound by night:D ....i know nothing about this.

jesse's mommy
January 6th, 2007, 07:39 PM
If so, we missed out on that one when the circus came to town! :D

Scott_B
January 6th, 2007, 07:40 PM
I assume this is to watch greyhounds race?

jesse's mommy
January 6th, 2007, 07:41 PM
Yes it is for greyhounds. At least I hope it is. :o I seriously don't know anything about it.

rainbow
January 6th, 2007, 11:20 PM
I don't know anything about it either but I'm bumping your post up for Ontario Greys to see. ;)

Prin
January 6th, 2007, 11:46 PM
I haven't heard anything good... But I'll wait for more knowledgeable people to reply.:o

Frenchy
January 7th, 2007, 08:34 AM
Yes it is for greyhounds. At least I hope it is. :o I seriously don't know anything about it.

I would never go (if it's greyhounds) I wouldn't want to support a "sport" that uses dogs to make money, and then kill them just because they get a bit older and slower. Some of them end up in rescues,now, but still many of them are strickly use for the race and they get kill at a very young age because they are not "productive" enough. $$$ :mad: I saw something about it on tv , they were just pilling up the dogs corpes into a pick up truck, like they were old newspaper. :sad:

jesse's mommy
January 7th, 2007, 08:11 PM
I think I'm going to follow my gut and not go. I just haven't been able to come up with good reasons for honey besides the standard "I just don't want to" answer.

Peepmouse
January 7th, 2007, 11:36 PM
There was a program about it on A&E, or Discovery, maybe Animal Planet about what the greyhounds have to endure to race, and Frenchy is right that there are a lot of dogs put down once they no longer win races.:sad: They don't have the best living conditions either, but now there are more and more rescue shelters for racing greyhounds that will take in as many as they can for adoption to people that are willing to care and love these poor animals!:thumbs up I don't know if all racetracks are like this, but I don't think I'd like to see them, I'd always be wondering how the animals are being treated...

OntarioGreys
January 8th, 2007, 08:37 AM
<Sigh> A lot of misinformation already

A documentary had been put out by National Geographic back in the early 1980's it still surfaces from time to time, as well as clips from, I have a copy of the documentary :(

In the early 1980's the public was unaware that racing greyhound could be great pets, the public thought the were vicious and hyper, since that time a lot of education has been put forward to prove those comments are untrue and that these dogs make ideal pets.

Yes in the early 1980's most greyhounds were euthanized, nobody wanted them, today 25 years later with the co-operation of adoption groups, track, state and racing owners there is nearly 100% adoption of adoptable greyhounds, within 2 years that should be achieved, no other breed rescue within North America can claim anywhere close to that, there are more lab retrievers put down in shelters in North America each year than racing greyhound born.

Greyhounds under the American Greyhound Council have more protection than any pet dog in North America,

What is the minimum standard under the law for pets? Some form of shelter, and acessible food and water , and must have a rabies shot
that is it!

compare to this
Each track must employ a veterinarian who is licensed and in good standing with the state board of veterinary medicine.
Greyhounds must be examined by the track veterinarian before each race.
Greyhounds deemed unsound for racing must be scratched, and their condition reported to the racing steward.
Any illness with unusual symptoms must be reported to the track veterinarian.
All racing animals must be inoculated for infectious and contagious diseases.
Records must be maintained of all racing greyhounds treated and/or medicated.
Tracks must contribute a portion of their revenue to bona fide adoption organizations.

All greyhounds shall be housed in comfortable, clean, safe and well-ventilated kennels.
All greyhounds shall receive plentiful and healthful food and water.
All greyhounds shall be provided appropriate exercise in clean, safe turnout pens and sprint fields.
All greyhounds shall be trained using artificial lures.
All greyhounds shall receive prompt veterinary care.
All racetrack surfaces shall be groomed and maintained daily to ensure the health and safety of the racing greyhounds.
All greyhounds shall be trained and cared for by qualified, competent and responsible personnel according to established animal welfare guidelines.
All tracks shall enact policies and enforcement procedures that include penalties for violation of proper animal welfare procedures.
All member tracks shall require that proper documentation be filed with and approved by the Racing Secretary and/or General Manager of the track before any greyhound may be removed from track premises. The documentation shall confirm and verify that the greyhound in question has been:
Transferred to another greyhound racetrack for purposes of continued racing;
Returned to the original owner or breeding farm for pet or breeding purposes; or
Upon retirement, placed into an in-house, local or nationally recognized adoption program.

Did anyone note the very last line, this was drawn up 2002!!!!
Greyhound owners pay a fee to the track to ensure their dogs get adopted that money helps to cover costs of transport and vetting, most greyshound that arrive in Canada today have been spayed and neutered prior to arriving and many trainers and racing owners make to hauls to bring the dogs up here,
My greyhound Maya is from the Melbourne track in florida

Greyhounds that slip thru the tracks are the ones at the farm level who are found unsuitable for racing, most farmers try to hold the dogs for 6 months sometimes a yeat hoping for an opening to come up at an adoption group, some farmers end up going bankrupt to are so far in debt rather than let the dogs starve to death because the cannot afford to keep them for months, they humanely euthanize. Most of these incidences are occuring Florida, the reason is Florda is heavily saturated with greyhounds having 19 tracks in that state alone, the majority of tracks are in the south and east coast, so Florida can not ship their dogs to those areas they have to ship them to the west coast, the virginias or to Canada for adoption, many programs have been set up to help raise money to help move the greyhound from Florida area.

Some of the dogs from Orlando now call Ottawa the capital city of Canada home, Delta Airlines donates space on their airlines to get the dogs into home

http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.com/hot/pg6.htm

This is one such program "Race For Adoption" some racing owner came up with an idea to select some prime young greyhound from their farms the dogs would then become partly owned by pet greyhound lovers selling 50 shares at 100 dollars a piece all that would be donated to an adoption group, that particular dog would than race for adoption all winning would be donated to adoption group to sweeted the pot even more he offered to match to winning up to $10K That dog was Whistlers Stud he has won 10K in winnings, so at this point $25 k has went to help greyhound adoption with one prime gade racer, the idea has caught on there are now 11 greyhound that racing for adoption currently in only a couple of year almost $130K has been raised, that money will help move dogs so greyhound farmers in the south will have places to take their dog

Here are the 11 dogs currently racing for adoption
http://www.raceforadoption.com/index.cfm?content=110&Menu=10

Their lives growing up before racing

http://www.raceforadoption.com/index.cfm?content=110&Menu=10

training
http://www.raceforadoption.com/index.cfm?content=64&Menu=3

This video Born to Run takes you thru the day of a racer, it features on of the Race for Adoption dogs Whistlers Miss also discusses some racing history provides adoption stats, show feeding, the kennel, race track, adoption and them as pets, they speak with trainers, racing owners,adoption reps and pets owners, as well it covers some of the misleading rumors about racing and the dogs it is a 1/2 hour long video. The video also goes over how other money is raised for adoption by the greyhound industry, they know that euthanization of dogs will only hurt them so they are wanting to see 100% adoption as well, so are pushing hard through providing money to help with the cost of adopting and promoting the dogs as pets. The racing greyhound may end up cbeing the only breed in North America that will be ablr to claim a 100% adoption rate, the video was made a couple of years ago at the time 90% were being adiopted today that number is around 96- 97 % so they may be extremely close when claiming 100% by this year, quite an achievement going from putting down nearly 80,000 dogs a year to under 2000 in just 25 years and at the the time having to fight the stereotyping of the dogs being vicious and hyper

http://www.borntorun.tv/

The industry is not perfect, just like their are some bad cops or horrid teachers,bad politicians there are some owners that are bad apples, most often then get turned in by fellow racing owners, when that happens though the media and animal right groups like to play it up making the whole industry look bad much like what is happening in the media with Pitbulls.

My own personal stance to racing is neutral, I see good in it and some areas where improvement is needed, I done my own fair bit iof research talking to other adoption group, owners trainers and anti racing group heads, the truth about racing lies far closer to what the racing publishes they have public records and statistics which makes it difficult to hide what is happening or to be able to juggle the truth too much and far more to lose if they caught up in lies. some of the numbers that some anti-racing groups publish on the number of dogs euthanize are simple impossible, if they were true there would no dogs going into adoption because they would al be dead, also they will imply taht the dogs get no vet care, when dogs come into Canada a certificate of vaccinations must accompany to dogs, most states have a 3 year vaccination protocol, it is not hard to compare to dates when the dog was vaccinated last and compare that date to the dogs racing records plus once you research track procedure you learn that the greys are examined by a"state" vet before each race who must assess the dog to determine if it is fit to race, if a dog is not fit it is scratch from the race card.

This is Maya's(aka Leonor Chick) race card this is a schooling(training) race she still has to be vet checked even though no money is involved in the race
under her name she has DFN meaning "did not finish" she panicked and ran back to the starting gate
under her is a dog named Awsom Bill-- "SCR" means he was "scratched from the race more likely a vet failed him

Leonor Chick Black F 5/20/2002 Chick's Racey x Hurdy Gertie Owned By Philip M. Pruett

MB 12/8/2003 S Race 2 Grade scl5-16 Going F
Loxpen Sisable 70 5 1 1 2 1 5 1 4 31.98 -----Unchallenged Bp Jamoca 67 7 2 2 2 2 4 32.29 ----- Gave Chase Leonor Chick 60 3 3 3 3 3 DNF ----- Pulled Up <==Bb's Awsom Bill 1 0 0 0 4 SCR -----

Are they raced till they are ready to drop from fatigue? Heck no, rules allow them to race a maximum of every 3rd day so 2 times a week, a race is roughly 30 seconds long, the fastest dog on Maya's race card finished the race in 31.98 seconds

If you decide to go to the track do stop by the adoption kennel so you can see what they are like first hand right after coming off the track
http://www.greyhoundpetsorlando.org/aboutus.htm#map

and do try to get a seat as close to the track as possible, so you can see for yourself how the dogs are reacting and the power they possess and physical condition. They are kept in crates on the track they get 4 - 1 hours outing a day in the yard, so 4 hours of playtime everyday the rest of the time they mostly sleep. they normally sleep 18 to 20 hours a day even in retirement.

Greyhound racing particularily in Florida provides huge benefits to the state, the state takes about 50% of the bets and applies that to charities, hospitals, senoir housing and service, thus reducing taxes, it also bring in toursism and dollars, it provides employment not just to owners and trainers, there are students hired to parade the dogs before each race, then their is the the resteraunt and kitchen staff and assorted other staff the track must hire, if greyhound racing were to shut down in Florida it would produce a domino effect that would hurt Floridas economy immensely, in lost jobs and revenue, greyhound racing brings a lot of money into the state

jesse's mommy
January 8th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Wow OG, thank you so much for all the information. I think I may consider going now that I know that the dogs are taken care of. I do know everytime I see a greyhound adoption event, I always stop and give the dogs "love" and donate whatever money I have to them. I've even gone inside and bought a bag of "gourmet cookies" for the dogs and brought them out to them. They are the kindest, gentlest dogs I've ever met in my life and just adore them. I just didn't know anything good or bad to say to honey when he suggested we go. I only knew the "outside looking in" view and nothing else. So thank you so much for educating me on this. :thumbs up

OntarioGreys
January 8th, 2007, 08:30 PM
One other note that I missed , many greyhounds have scars, many will claim that is from a abuse

Your little wigglebum Jesse probably has a few smaller scars around his ankles
that is because the skin there is very thin, greyhounds have thin skin over much of their body, a small skin puncture often from just gravity will stretch and tear even more, and becomes a bigger hole, imagine what happens when you have say 8 - 4 month old puppies still with milk teeth rough horsing with each other, it would be a pretty rare litter to remain together upto a year old and not end up with any scars just from playing. the paled coloured fawns because they have dark skin pigment tend to usually look the most beat up

Prin
January 9th, 2007, 01:57 AM
oh, yeah, I've heard that greys' skin is like tissue paper. :eek: :shrug:

Golden Girls
January 9th, 2007, 06:09 AM
Alright knowledgable gurus, tell me the pros and cons of dog tracksNaturally ... I'm against this. IMO it's a cruel and unneccessary form of gambling. Dog racing like horseracing their ultimate goal is profit. Of course while their in their prime (the :rolleyes: lucky ones)it's profitable for the tracks to keep them healthy but is that a reason to breed them in the 1st place? Although adoption/placement groups have and are doing a wonderful job at re-homing - still the statictics show thousands yearly unfortunately do not and die. And, I have seen scarring on their body's and it's not because they have sensitive skin ... it's the tracks way of getting them to bolt from their boxes :frustrated: http://www.greyhounds.org/gpl/contents/racing_industry.html

but then again I don't support circuses or zoo's either

springermom0406
January 9th, 2007, 08:40 AM
Sorry, I don't agree they are taken care of. I recently met with someone that runs the greyhound rescue in NY. She has seen so much abuse of the breed, I would NEVER support the races. She's found dogs dumped in ditches, dogs beaten, starved, neglected, you name it. She goes in and takes them before they are euthanized because they can't race anymore.

Maybe not all races are like that. But according to the rescuers, they are.