Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I leave, she Gives Tons of attention

Karmaj
January 5th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Well I am wondering if anybody has a good reason for my cat Karma's behavior. My boyfriend and I have had her since she was 9 weeks old and have now had her for 1 year 3 months. I am the primary care giver ex: feeding, litter box, playing with her, grooming, etc. My boyfriend say's everytime I leave the house my cat automatically becomes very affectionate towards him. She is usually affectionate towards both of us at night when it's bed time. But throughout most of the day she's busy doing her own thing.. and sleeps/plays on her own. But he just rants and raves how much love he get's when I leave. Hmmm... I am stumped, because she never gets as clingy towards ME when HE leaves. I know that I spoil her unbelievably more than most parents would to a first child. This just bothers me, why does she give him so much love as soon as I leave? Please give me any feedback, weather it be good/bad... any ideas or info on her behavior are going to help!:confused: :shrug: Ok, I should have added that she will only go up to him for a short period of time (3-5 mins) and then be on her way. Unless she falls asleep on him. But, it's not like she need's to beg for attention because I give her plenty of it throughout the day. And I know she likes me, I get the same attention he gets, and more because she follow's me around the house everywhere I go and has to be in the same room as me, even while I use the bathroom and shower. I was just concerned why she might be so over-affectionate to him when she see's me leaving.

badger
January 5th, 2007, 10:48 PM
I've noticed some cats prefer men over women or vice versa. My neighbour's cat only has to hear my voice and she hides until I leave. B**ch. Try not to take it personally. Cats are pretty quirky, which is one of the reasons we love 'em (and why they drive us bonkers).

jawert1
January 6th, 2007, 09:29 AM
I've noticed this very often with my dogs - Peaches (my female) will automatically glue herself to any man in the house (my dad, brother, friends), but women she'll say hello and play only a little with. My Simon is utterly devoted to all things female, so he's glue to my mom, myself, my female friends depending on who's around. It may also be too that she's accustomed to getting as much attention from you as she wants, but because he doesn't seek her out - she seeks him out instead. It's hard to not feel threatened, especially when he's telling you about these interactions, but don't take it personally. If she didn't truly love you, you'd know it ;)

Prin
January 6th, 2007, 12:31 PM
Peaches (my female) will automatically glue herself to any man in the house (my dad, brother, friends), but women she'll say hello and play only a little with. My Simon is utterly devoted to all things female, so he's glue to my mom, myself, my female friends depending on who's around.My doggies are the same. I think it just depends on whom they were attached to most before.:shrug:

Oh and sometimes, whoever is more inconsistently present gets all the affection too... :shrug: