Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Jury Duty

Shamrock
January 5th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Have you ever served on jury duty, and if so...what did you take away from this experience?

If called to serve on a high-profile and very lengthy murder trial involving graphic and gruesome evidence - what would be your reaction?

Would you feel compelled to do your duty in this capacity regardless of these factors? Do you feel you could.. even if you wanted to?

Or would you ask to be excused? The reasons why one might find this impossible are valid. and acceptable. Still.. someone has to do it.

In spite of the fact that is no death penalty in Canada, I wouldnt want to be on a jury trying a murder case of any kind.

And nothing could make me serve on a jury with evidence so disturbing counselling might be needed as a followup (as in the case of some jurors in the monster duo Bernardo/ Homolka trials)

I am civic minded, but stop at risking being traumatized.:sad:

wdawson
January 5th, 2007, 07:46 PM
in a high profile case....lets say that farmer in bc accused of killing prostitutes....they say that trial will be at least a year long....well i'm not going into bankruptcy losing my house , family and possible employment just to satisfy my civic duty....

Shamrock
January 5th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Yes, that is specifically the one I was referring to wdawson.

This trial will be a media circus, an unbelievably gruelling undertaking in many facets.

My hat is off to the now-selected jury that has agreed to this formidable challenge. They are a rare group, imo.. for this is an unprecedented trial in Canada. And this just the first...more to follow.:sad:

Frenchy
January 5th, 2007, 08:08 PM
in a high profile case....lets say that farmer in bc accused of killing prostitutes....they say that trial will be at least a year long....well i'm not going into bankruptcy losing my house , family and possible employment just to satisfy my civic duty....

I would very much like the experience , but like Wdawson wrote, I wouldn't like to loose everything in my life .

Bearsmom
January 5th, 2007, 11:31 PM
I'm unable to serve on jury duty, but my husband has been called. He said it was really boring sitting around the courthouse all day, and then didn't even get called.

I think jury duty is an important civic duty, but I don't think jurors are compensated nearly enough for their time.

technodoll
January 5th, 2007, 11:34 PM
no thank you... boring, hardly paid, and what if it lasts for weeks or even months? there goes your job, your family, your income, etc... :eek: can a person just decline jury duty, or must you be excused because you don't fit? i've always wondered...

Bearsmom
January 5th, 2007, 11:38 PM
In Ontario, you can't decline jury duty, a bench warrant would be issued for your arrest. My advice is to get up in the "question box" and mold your answers to whatever you think wouldn't bode well with the lawyers.

ie "hell, yeah, I think he's guilty as *****"

You'd get excused pretty quickly.

technodoll
January 5th, 2007, 11:44 PM
he he! yeah that's what i would do... and suddenly become a homophobic racist bi-polar man-hater, just to be sure :D (all temporary and fake conditions, i assure you!) :D

Bearsmom
January 6th, 2007, 12:04 AM
How does one report this clown who's posting about wireless stuff in every thread? He's officially annoying me.

Bearsmom
January 6th, 2007, 12:05 AM
Nevermind, the good ol' dragonfly stopped him. THANK YOU!!!

Prin
January 6th, 2007, 01:31 AM
Boring, yes. Underpaid, superyes. But I still think it would be interesting... Ok, not a huge scary trial, but a smaller one... I wouldn't want to incur threats or something from the defendant's peeps though... That wouldn't be fun at all.:o

erykah1310
January 6th, 2007, 02:18 AM
he he! yeah that's what i would do... and suddenly become a homophobic racist bi-polar man-hater, just to be sure :D (all temporary and fake conditions, i assure you!) :D

:rolleyes: r ya sure???:shrug:

LOL:D
I too agree, I wouldnt want to do it, not worth the risks of losing your stuff if it ends up a lengthy trial.
I'd pull a Techno thats for sure.:D

chico2
January 6th, 2007, 08:43 AM
I was called to jury-duty once in Milton,we waited for 4 hours to be questioned,only to find out things got settled out of court..phew!!!

technodoll
January 6th, 2007, 09:19 AM
close call, chico! :eek:

erykah, we can be the kool evil :cat: s together :D

joeysmama
January 6th, 2007, 03:25 PM
My husband spent a day on duty and ended up not being called. He said it was super boring and he wound up being excused because the case was a man who slipped in his bathtub and was suing the mnufacturer. When my husband was a child his parents had an out of court settlement with a bottling company after a soda bottle exploded and sprayed glass on hubbies little head. So that was enough for them to think he would be predisposed to find in favor of the plaintiff (Funny thing was he probably wouldn't have.)

I used to worry that I would be called when the kids were young. Now that they're older and I would be happy to do my civic duty I'm not able to because of hearing loss. :shrug:

Shamrock
January 6th, 2007, 05:45 PM
I've already served on jury duty in a theft case - now I'm off the hook forever::thumbs up

It was kind of interesting, but tedious, yes. Selection process long ... then a lot of sitting around closed off in a room - alternately entering and exiting the courtroom, more waiting around..:rolleyes:
I was paid $20 a day. Hardly enough to cover the parking downtown.:(
The rate apparently goes up to $50, and after sixty days... $100 daily.
I didnt mind really, as I knew it would be brief, and a non-violent crime. It actually never got off the ground.. defendant failed to appear twice, so our jury was ultimately excused.:)

But for a trial of this scope, of an accused serial killer, the cost ...both emotionally and financially can be far too taxing for the average person.
And that is well understood, as it was in this particular case.
Expected to take a year, horrific crimes of a disturbing nature being presented.. a lot would find a reason to get out of it. Who could blame them?

A staggering 3500 summonses were mailed out locally, and over 1400 people were excused. Six hunded were finally called to report.. more than 4 times the normal amount for a criminal trial.

And yet,.. it only took several days to select the jury. This suprised many, but this group obviously felt willing and able to proceed.
They have my admiration, am very glad that there's a ban on publicly identifying them.
Think they'll have more than enough to contend with. :sad: