Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Why does she come running if i am cleaning litter box??

heidiho
January 5th, 2007, 04:36 PM
Ok i have just started to notice it doesnt matter if she is in a dead sleep or in another room,as soon as i start cleaning her litter box she comes running into bathroom to see what iam doing.I mean she can be in a dead sleep and as soon as the scooper hits the litter she hears it and coem running in anyone know why ??or is it just my cat that does this?????

Cathy1
January 5th, 2007, 04:48 PM
My cat does the same thing, but I don't know why either. She also goes in after cleaning and digs it all up then leaves without using it, and goes back to sleep.

Dracko
January 5th, 2007, 04:51 PM
I was thinking of posting this question, too. I've been around cats my whole life and never had one that did this...until now. My 1 year old comes running no matter where she is...she will even try to get in it and go pee while I'm scooping it out. I'm not sure if my 6-month old kitten got the behavior from her but he does it now, too. So, while I'm scooping I've got 2 cats trying to watch what I am doing and/or trying to get in. My other cats would NEVER have done that. If find it odd, too. And, I KNOW they can just have went to the bathrooma and they'll still come running.

boydo
January 5th, 2007, 05:04 PM
My 9 month old kitten, Maggie, does the same thing!:cat:

heidiho
January 5th, 2007, 05:06 PM
Exactly she does the same thing,goes in it rearranges the litter and leaves,so weirddd..

~michelle~
January 5th, 2007, 05:12 PM
my cat do it too

Dracko
January 5th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Wow! Glad this was posted. I thought I had the only 2 who did this. :D

Shamrock
January 5th, 2007, 05:21 PM
This is a stange little quirk that many cats seem to have - can be quite territorial and protective of their litterboxes. The sound of any tampering to their bathroom domain brings them running.:)

Mine do the same thing.. and when I disinfect and clean the boxes, they mill around.. just waiting to initiate them.:D

PetFriendly
January 5th, 2007, 05:23 PM
Two of our three just have to use a freshly cleaned box... One won't even wait for the litter to be replaced, its like they can't stand not having their smell in it.

heidiho
January 5th, 2007, 05:31 PM
I love it,i thought it was only my cat,oh yeah and same here when i empty litter box and change it,she watches every move i make with her litter box..So its becasue they are territorial that they do that???

Rainy
January 5th, 2007, 05:39 PM
Your kitty is just making sure his/her slave is doing a good job is all.:p

Dracko
January 5th, 2007, 05:42 PM
I guess what stuck me as odd was I had 3 cats and NONE did this. They were 17, 18 and 12. I had to put the oldest down and now have 2 kittens. They are the ones who do it. But, just like how some dogs are runners and take off, guess this is a cat quirk I'd just never encountered. Ginkgo hangs around the box when I am cleaning it just waiting to christen it as well. Makes me laugh and as I said, she will jump in WHILE scooping. I think it's cute.

jiorji
January 5th, 2007, 05:56 PM
Your kitty is just making sure his/her slave is doing a good job is all.:p

I think so too. As soon as I'm done cleaning the litter box, my Twiggy comes in and poops. You know, just to prove she's got the upper paw :evil:

Shamrock
January 5th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Heidi, I dont really know why they do this.:crazy: Kind of an amusing mystery why some cats exhibit this behaviour.

One of my cats seems bothered when even the other cats are using the litterboxes- when he hears any scratching going on.
He takes up position to observe the proceedings - has to inspect the premises after too - to see if things are still to his satisfaction, I guess.

He strikes me as being territorial, but cant know for sure what compels cats to do all they do.:D

lol,jiorji! Dont you swear sometimes they are just "forcing" themselves? ;)

heidiho
January 5th, 2007, 06:07 PM
Slave,that makes me think of the movie Meet the Fockers,anyone see it ,when Deniro says something like "dogs are sell outs,cats make you work for their affection" so true so true

cpietra16
January 5th, 2007, 06:09 PM
It's a mystery of life....same mystery as to why when women, girls go to the bathroom they always go in pairs..??

Actually only Tess does that and she just likes the sound that the pine shavings ,ake, like sand which she thinks it's time to play ...my older cats are older and don't do it because they couldn't care less about playing ofcourse that's just what I have observed with my kitties;)

heidiho
January 5th, 2007, 06:13 PM
It drives me crazy i really want to know the answer to why they do it,i just find it so odd,i mean when she is sleeping nothing gets her up,but that da** kitty litter will get her in the bathroom in under 2 seconds.

cpietra16
January 5th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Heidiho, if you shake a can of sand, which makes the same sound like when your are scooping...she'll coming running too. They relate the sound to play. Wen you buy some cat toys the ball is sometimes filled with pebbles to get them chasing it... that's the reason my youngest cat does it. My older cats don't like to play as much anymore and they don't come when I scoop.

heidiho
January 5th, 2007, 06:47 PM
Well plenty of sand here,so you are saying even though it is their kitty litter they relate that noise when you are cleaning it to playing???Wow didnt think of that

cpietra16
January 5th, 2007, 07:07 PM
Yup, IMo anyway. Tess has a few balls that make a similar sound ( they are filled with something like sand), and everytime I throw her the ball she goes running after it. Now when I move the litter around,, it makes the same sound and Tess comes running expecting me to be holding the ball. She just sits there like she's expecting something to happen:D

Catzig
January 5th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Two of my three cats come watch as I clean the litter boxes ... one will actually climb in and use the first cleaned one as I am working on the second. Occassionally, he'll climb in while I'm scooping! The other 'mese just looks at me and squawks as if he's saying "it's about time, I've been holding it for ages!"

Stacer
January 5th, 2007, 08:42 PM
My cats do it too. I'd never really wondered why though, but now that you mention it. I have never like them watching me, Angus will come and sit and just watch, I get the feeling like it's a dominance thing, "she's cleaning my mess" . Sometimes I close the door so he can't come in. Maybe I'm being paranoid, but I don't want him thinking that I'm his waitstaff (even though I really am):D

bogwog
January 5th, 2007, 09:26 PM
I wonder if it could be because it kinda sounds like a box of catfood? My cat hasn't eaten dry catfood for years and still comes running at any sound that is similar.

heidiho
January 8th, 2007, 02:47 PM
I could of killed her today i was cleaning out box and had scooper full of poop and she hit it with her paw needless to say poop and litter went everywhere......

dtbmnec
January 8th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Mine do it too...

They get so annoying that we actually lock them in the bedroom/out of the bathroom while we're cleaning the box....then as soon as its down (and if we hold it up where they can't reach they meow at us) they inspect it...all at once too LOL that's rather funny...

Megan

heidiho
January 8th, 2007, 03:33 PM
thats what my boyfriend said to do to..weird how they are so fascinated by it.....

heidiho
February 7th, 2007, 08:44 PM
She has now started laying in the kitty litter box,wuz up with that??I noticed this lady i babysit for her cat i saw also was just kickin back in her kitty litter box.I am confused as to why they would do this because they are such clean animals,so why would they lay where they go to the bathroom??

Dogastrophe
February 8th, 2007, 06:05 AM
Gracie does this everytime we clean her litter.

heidiho
February 8th, 2007, 02:52 PM
So bizarre to me,how she wants to lay in it,whatevers

chico2
February 8th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Since I have the boxes downstairs,Vinnie always(every morning:confused: )sits on top of the stairs,listens and watches,while I take the litter-critters out,as soon as I go back upstairs,he'll run down and leave a new stinker for me to pick up:laughing:
Since I quit working,I have a lot time to study their habits and it is amazing how these cats keep to their steady routine,whether it's about eating,where to sit to get treats,their different sleeping places for different times of the day,the time of day I take them outside,I would not dare to break their habits..they are really incredibly intriguing little guys:lovestruck:

heidiho
February 8th, 2007, 03:18 PM
Chico2- I have been doing the same thing at night just really watching everything she does,and like that article i posted here,they are so fascinating to watch,her stalking skills,how when i put her wet food down she smells it then starts pawing the area where it is at like she is covering it..her love of boxes and plastic bags,she loves to jump in the box or hide in the bag then jump out at you,ok i could go on and on,my point being that you are so right of how interesting cats really are.I have always had cats but i tell you NONE have ever had almost a human like personality like she does,mark told me the other day as soon as i pulled up in the car she started crying at the door,now i ahve had dogs who knew the sound of our car and oudl cry til you walked in,but never a cat,god i could not imagine life without her,also i find it interesting this kind of love that you get for your pets,it is so deep and unconditional..well sort of conditional with a cat..just kiddin

krdahmer
February 9th, 2007, 02:45 PM
:laughing: Too funny, I always feel like I'm on stage for an audience of 6 every time I go a-scoopin. They all hover waiting to leave a deposit.:rolleyes:

chico2
February 9th, 2007, 02:49 PM
Awww Dahmer,welcome back!! How did you end up with SIX cats??I only remember your TWO beauties??