Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

spaying questions

shelleyb
January 5th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Molly, my golden retriever pup will be 6 months on Jan 17. I am going to be booking her aptmt for her spay but is 6 months too young? Also, what is the recovery like? What should we expect?

brandynva
January 5th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Hi! I just had my two girls spayed in the last month and it was a breeze. Here is a good link. One thing that is important is to keep them low for a few days afterwards. We took ours out on leash so they couldn't run and limited their play and access to stairs. Here is a good link for some info and if you do a google search for dog spay you will come back with tons of links. Good luck and let us know how she does!

http://www.placervillevet.com/canine_spay_operation.htm

Prin
January 5th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Every female I've had has been done at 6 months. I think it's a perfect age for most doggies.:)

Frenchy
January 5th, 2007, 07:38 PM
Hi Shelley, I answered your post on the other forum ;) Try not to worry, everything will be fine.

erykah1310
January 5th, 2007, 08:29 PM
Recovery is quick for all the dogs I have had spayed ( cats too) the first day they seem really groggy but after that its hard to keep them still.
6 months is a good age too.

glitterless
January 6th, 2007, 12:07 AM
I had mine done at about 6 months too. She is a handful, though and keeping her quiet was impossible. The vets would have killed me if they saw how she was running around. Luckily she healed well and didn't have any problems. But honestly you wouldn't have known that this dog had just been spayed...it didn't slow her down a bit.

We've had other dogs done, as well as cats.. and I've never had a problem. I think the surgery success and recovery rates of spay/neuters are very high.