Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ottawa Police Shoot Pitbull

Cathy1
January 5th, 2007, 11:50 AM
Why did they shoot the dog? Don't they usually have a self defense excuse when they shoot a pitbull? I think when they see a pitbull it gives them an excuse to pull their gun.:sad:

Ottawa police shoot pit bull, help treat it
05/01/2007 9:31:13 AM

A pit bull was treated by paramedics and police in Ottawa on Thursday after the dog was shot when officers entered a home on a search warrant and arrested a man.

CBC News
The shooting follows a similar incident in September that resulted in a lawsuit against the police services board.

In the latest incident, tactical officers with the city's guns and gangs unit shot the dog after 4 p.m. ET at a south-end home, where they arrested the man and seized a rifle and some ammunition, said a police release issued Thursday evening.

The officers helped paramedics treat the animal, and the pit bull was sent to an animal hospital and later returned to its owner, the release said.

On Sept. 14, Ottawa police shot two pit bulls while searching for a man inside a Bells Corners townhouse. Both dogs died, and their owner is suing the police.

Lukka'sma
January 5th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Well we have certainly been down that road before. It happened here also only they killed this girls dog. This is the news paper article from the botched raid.

In October 2002, police in London, Ontario, broke into a woman's apartment and killed her dog during a botched marijuana raid.

Marcia Carroll, 22, was not at home when six officers, some in riot gear, smashed down the door of her apartment. Carroll rushed home from work after a call from her landlord, to find her home trashed and her pet dog slain by police.

Officers showed Carroll a search warrant that didn't even have her name on it. Carroll's landlord told the media that the person whose name appeared on the warrant had never lived in the building. No marijuana was found.

Rather than contact the building manager, officers had jimmied open the lock on the building's front door and then burst into Carroll's apartment. "I could have got the dog out," the landlord told the media, adding that Bear was a "gentle" animal. Officers claimed the pet was killed because "it could not be subdued."

Carroll is unable to have children, and described Bear, a six-year-old German shepherd and Labrador cross, as her "surrogate son." About two dozen friends held a public candlelight vigil for Bear in front of police headquarters after the shooting. A local radio station has launched "The Bear Fund" to support the London Humane Society in the slain pet's memory.

An internal police report into the shooting was due in November, but has since been delayed until past January 2003. Some media reports indicated that the dog may have been shot while running away from the officers.

PetFriendly
January 5th, 2007, 05:36 PM
From what I understand, the dog presented a threat to the officers and could have lead to the escape of the guy they were after. I do not beleive they shot it out of spite, or because it was a pb, I'm not convinced they even know what breed of dog it was. The same thing about the dogs in Bells Corners (which is actually very close to where I live, I heard the sirens...), they weren't quite right and they were threatening the officers.

I love dogs, really I do, but I would rather one get shot if it means catching the bad guy...

Angie J
January 10th, 2007, 09:04 AM
I think it must be very hard to have a job like that.

It's these kinds of owners that prefer the "Bully" dogs and train them to be a n attack animal, that cause all of the problems we 'good' owners have today. It must be hard to tell..... from the policemans side of the barking dog, which kind of animal he has to deal with... On most occasions; Especially if the home they are going to poses a possible threat to them.

I wouldn't want to worry about focussing my attention on a dog, when there might be a person home carrying a gun.

Angie J