Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

litter or puppy pee pads

twisten
January 5th, 2007, 10:17 AM
My baby chi is trained to a litter box IF in a small enclosed area like her playpen. I'm wondering if it would be better to train her to the puppy pee pads. It would be easier when visiting somewhere than having to take a litterbox with me. What do you all think and how would you make the transition?

mafiaprincess
January 5th, 2007, 11:45 AM
My dog was litterbox trained when we lived in an apt building. we put pee pads in the box. My dog is bigger than a chi, which added to the problem of visiting people, and I can say few of my friends were amused about carting a litterbox about. I'd say potty pads would ease your solution for ease of carrying them around, and clean up of being able to ball them up and throw them out, only problem I had when out of a box was to make sure the dog and the potty mess stayed near the middle of the pad, lol.

denisevaughan
January 5th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Hi I was just wondering how did you get your puppy trained to the litter, I would actually like to train mine that way instead of the pee pads

Hunter's_owner
January 5th, 2007, 11:52 AM
I would say start by placing the pee pad inside the litter container to get them used to getting in the litter first. Then when that is okay, slowly start to decrease the size of the pee pad, until you are left with only litter.

twisten
January 5th, 2007, 06:35 PM
Denise, she was already litter trained when I got her.