Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hi All I hav a liitle issue and wonder if you can point me in the right direction

Netbear
January 4th, 2007, 06:12 PM
I have an 18yr old Female cat whe was recently dignosed with Hyperthyroid.

I am giving her 1/2 a pill 2 times aday and have stayed hoem the last 3 weekends to give her her meds, but now my job insist I start my weekend travel again.

Most weekends I leave early Sat about 5am and return Sunday about 8pm.

This weekend I need ot be away Sunday mornign till MOnday evening.

My vet gets 100.00 a day to board since she is on medication.

He last 2 visits with a 2 day stay killed me, a total of 1800.00.

My question is what do I do if I need to miss 2 pills. Can I double up give her a whoel pill before i lleave and a whoel pill when i get back.

I asked her doctor, but he says I should board her every weekend. I can not afford 300 a weekend. I'm new in NYC and do not have any friends that can come in and give her her meds.

I am plannign on takign her when I travel next month, but untill then I need ot travel 2 days a week.

Thanks

Rick

wdawson
January 4th, 2007, 07:08 PM
think about this, your the one with this condition would you miss your meds if it can affect your health......also if it cost you $1800 to diagnose and treat this issue it may cost you the same again if things go wrong while your away. i would look for an in home pet sitter who can come by every day give the meds check the food and water supply and give a litte attention for an hour a day.

Prin
January 4th, 2007, 07:12 PM
omg, $100 a day!? That's insane! There's nowhere else that would board your cat cheaper?

~michelle~
January 4th, 2007, 07:36 PM
look in a boarding place r get a pet sitter. it will still cost you some $$ but less than 100$ a night

OntarioGreys
January 6th, 2007, 05:39 PM
Sorry you can't double up on meds or skip it is given twice a day to provide a steady stream to help prevent fluctuations in the hormones, is it possible to take the cat with you on business trips(sorry I don't know how well she travels)? If you travel by car for then and stay in a motel just pick motels that allow for pets.

Another option can be to contact cat rescues they may a foster home near you who would be willing to cat sit on weekends and they would have more likely some experience on pilling a cat. For them say $40 or $50 a weekend can provide for a lot of kitty food for their rescues

rainbow
January 6th, 2007, 07:23 PM
I agree....you cannot miss a dose and then double up. It's insane that your vet is charging so much. Ask around at pet stores, groomers, etc. for referrals for pet sitters. I would even check with other vets as the one you are currently with is outrageous IMO.

BTW.....welcome to the forum and we'd love to see pics of your kitty. :cat: