Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My kitten sleeping????

annaandbella
January 4th, 2007, 06:32 PM
I have a three year old siamese cat named Bella who is just the greatest. I do have one problem. She will not sleep through the night. She gets us up at around two or three in the morning to play and purr and just get loved on. We have two other siamese cats, older ones who will sleep through the night with us. But the little one will not. All the cats have alot of toys to play with during the day, trees inside to climb to keep them active and windows to look out of. But we have not gotten a full nights sleep in months. Any advice on how to get our little one to sleep through the night like the other two would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

we3beagles
January 4th, 2007, 06:38 PM
Are you sure you really want to stop it? It sounds so cute, but my 12 year old beagle did the same thing at 5am for a while. We figured out she just wanted breakfast so I just stopped giving her breakfast right away when I get up so she stopped associating getting up with breakfast. She is a very sound sleeper now. Do you give her the cuddles in the middle of the night? If you ignore her and roll over she will probably decide you are right and it is time for sleep...not play.

boydo
January 4th, 2007, 06:54 PM
I have to same problem with my 9 month old kitten, Maggie. It just got to the point that she isn't allowed in the bedroom when we are asleep. It is too bad that she can't sleep with us, but her purring is just too loud!:cat:

TeriM
January 4th, 2007, 08:02 PM
If you give her what she wants then she will continue to wake you up at that time. Try ignoring her and if that doesn't work then remove her from the room and shut the door. They usually figure it out pretty quick. Drastic measures can also include squirting her with a water sprayer when she wakes you up.

Dracko
January 4th, 2007, 08:39 PM
I don't think this is really that unusual for a kitten. We are the ones who have domesicated cats to make them sleep more like we do. If it were me I'd just put the cat outside the bedroom door or in another room. We had to do that on occasion with our kitten.

brandynva
January 4th, 2007, 10:13 PM
In our household our cat is nocturnal, which is normal for them. After the lights go out is when he does his exploring. Would she meow at your door if you just shut her out? I imagine it's possible to retrain her using some of the mentioned methods. Good luck! :thumbs up

Karmaj
January 5th, 2007, 11:54 PM
I too have a siamese, named Karma. She is almost 1.5 yrs old. She use to wake my boyfriend and I up every night (around 3 a.m.), purring and rubbing our faces with her face and laying on us, wanting attention. For us, all we do is give her a good rub:cat: and put her into her cat bed:angel: . Her bed is right next to our's on a table so i'll just set her in there and she'll take to and go back to sleep. I know it can be overwhelming every night. But our "Karma" just has to say she's glad to be sleeping by us :cloud9:. That's just how we go about it. And she has weened herself out of this habbit more and more, now it only occurs 1-2 nights a week, and I'm sure eventually it will stop.