Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat... Fleas!?!?

EmpressOfAngels
January 4th, 2007, 06:24 PM
Ok First post... I'm not sure if this is the right place but oh well
I was petting my cat and a small bug that was dark brown was crawling in a nd out of his fur!!My problem is my cats are strictly indoor cats and haven't been in contact with a pet with fleas!

Is it possible that it is fleas or something flea-like?

What should we do?

rebel24
January 4th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Man I have not posted here in a long time. Anyways...Sounds like yes that is a flea(s). And even though your cat is an inside only cat it can still get fleas via you bringing them inside, at least thats my understanding. Thats why cats ,even inside ones, need to be on flea preventatives. You can buy an inexpensive flea comb that can pull the flea(s) out then drop the flea(s) in soapy warm water to kill them.

EmpressOfAngels
January 4th, 2007, 06:54 PM
ok I'll have to try that... Gosh I feel itchy thinking about it lol!

jessi76
January 4th, 2007, 07:13 PM
yes it's true you can bring fleas in, which in turn will jump onto pets in your home. check your cat w/ the flea comb as suggested, and use a flea preventative (I use Frontline). Then be sure to clean your house REALLY WELL. especially any areas the cat has access to. vacuum everything you can, OFTEN, and wash anything that you can in HOT water. this includes all bedding and even slipcovers if you have them. flea eggs can fall off an animal, and into carpeting and fabric. eggs can lay dormant for a long time - so it's important to really deep clean everything.

it happens to the best of us! my dog brought fleas in around this time last year, so now he and my indoor cats are on flea prevention year round. (haven't seen a flea since... *knock on wood*)

wdawson
January 4th, 2007, 07:16 PM
using a comb is a waste of time.....fleas can live in your carpet,furniture pet beds ect and will re-infest as fast as you remove the ones you see....then there are the eggs that will hatch that you will need to deal with.
your best line of defense is as follows:

go to your vet and get a monthly prevention product,advantage.sentinal and frontline are the ones i know of....i'm using advantage on the cats and dogs.
they are prescribed by weight and come as a liquid or pill.after you have administered the product you will need to do the following.

wash all bedding that the animal has come in contact with.vacuum all carpets,furniture and floors,throw out the bag right away,and you might want to repeat the washing and vacuuming at least once a week.

where there is one flea there are more.good luck hope this helps.

Dracko
January 4th, 2007, 08:43 PM
Aren't fleas tiny? My pets have never had them but I've spoken to people who've had to treat their animals. What you described sounds larger. Could it be a tick? Oh, just checked...says you live in Canada...so I guess not. Ticks aren't a problem this time of the year.

If it were me, I'd take the animals to a vet and not just treat it as it could be something else.

Frenchy
January 4th, 2007, 09:04 PM
With the warm weather we been having, it could be a tick but can ticks get on someone (when outside) and just "walk" in your house and on to your pets ? If it's fleas i would suggest Advantage but you have to be sure it is fleas first. This stuff is pretty strong .

Dracko
January 4th, 2007, 09:15 PM
Yes ticks can transfer from anything to a pet in your house. I've had them walking on my pants or something and that means if they had found my one of my animals it obviously would have made itself at home.

Gawd, ticks are gross. I am so lucky Dracko and I had a tickfree season last year!!!!

Frenchy
January 4th, 2007, 09:22 PM
Gawd, ticks are gross.

I know ! Bailey gets 2-3 per summer. And last summer I found one on Sam's head , first time I saw one that wasn't into the skin and it looked like this ; :evil:

Maya
January 4th, 2007, 09:34 PM
Sounds like fleas, I'd go to the vet and see what they can give you to get rid of them. Don't bother with collars from the supermarket they don't work and cause skin irritations. Here is a link that I like which talks about the cycle and other fun stuff. http://dermatology.cdlib.org/DOJvol3num2/fleas/fleas.html Also sometimes fleas look bigger when they are all fat and juicy from sucking blood.:yuck: Watch for worms as well which can be transferred via fleas.