Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Marking..

rescuekitty
January 4th, 2007, 12:31 PM
We have three dogs. One is an unspayed female who we know marks her territory. She is also spiteful and will pee after you doing something she doesn't like.
One of the others is a little over a year old and is a wonderful dog. We just moved and she has decided that she likes to poop under a table is the basement. I don't know if the other dog peed there sometime in the moving process and we didn't notice so this dog is trying to cover it up.. or what? We've cleaned it with the pet spray stuff and clean it well every time.. but she continually poops there now if allowed in the basement. She has never gone in the house before. I've had her since she was 3.5 weeks old(rescue). She just moved in with these two dogs though about two weeks ago, as they are my boyfriends and she had only met them occasionally before when we lived separately.

My first thought is that she is marking since it's the same place.. Any ideas of what it is that might be causing her to do this?

Either way, marking or not, any ideas of how to stop her? we've cleaned and scrubbed the area well. I haven't really had this problem before so I'm not sure what to do.

Thanks!

jessi76
January 4th, 2007, 12:56 PM
We have three dogs. One is an unspayed female who we know marks her territory. She is also spiteful and will pee after you doing something she doesn't like.

first, why is she not spayed? I'd get that taken care of ASAP.

second, it's most likey because of stress, NOT SPITE. dogs are NOT SPITEFUL CREATURES. spite is a HUMAN emotion.

she is probably stressed because of the move, and the new dogs she's living with. it will take time to adjust to her new room mates and her new surroundings. Until she does, keep her in an area that's easily cleaned, keep her on leash WITH YOU so you can really watch her and she can't sneak off to have an accident or "mark". she should not have access to the basement w/out supervision until this is no longer habit. treat her as you would a pup - take her out often, do more training w/ her to make her feel secure and to strengthen your bond, and confine her to one area when you leave the house. go slow and use positive reinforcment to curb these stressful behaviors.

rescuekitty
January 4th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Before anyone gets angry with me for not having her spayed.. She's my boyfriend's, and I really have no say in it. He doesn't want her fixed at this point. The other two are fixed.

Hunter's_owner
January 4th, 2007, 01:07 PM
I would say stress has something to do with as well.

The move has them all confused about bathroom issues. I would do as jessi76 suggested and treat her as a pup. She has to be retaught where to use the bathroom to.

TeriM
January 4th, 2007, 08:38 PM
I agree with Jessi76's thoughts and advice. Good luck.