Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Why do dogs run away ?

Frenchy
January 4th, 2007, 11:26 AM
:frustrated: So this morning, I was going back to work after a 5 days vacation. Lilly decided to run away from my yard, she crawled under the fence and when I finally saw her, she was in the bush on the other side. I tried to coax her to come near the gate but she just took off. I was barefoot,wearing pj pants and a tank top. Ran back inside to put shoes and went back outside by the front door, she was nowhere to be seen. I went all the way to my neighbor's yard and was screaming her name.No Lilly. So I went back,got dress, took out the dogs before I leave again to find her,she's in the driveway...I call her and when I open the gate,she ran off again :yell: got into my car and started to make rounds.I pass by the "controle animalier" house, it's a scrap yard,pretty sure I saw a pyrenee :( went back to my place a couple of time, the third time,she was there,in the driveway, I open my car door, called her, she got in....OMG !!! Put the leash on her , got he back inside the house and left for work (got there late) I didn't say a word because I was sooo mad. All this time Molly was kind of wining, knowing her friend was in danger (roads are pretty scary out here) Poor baby. So will have to tie Lilly outside when she wants to go out, until saturday when I can secure the fence. Only when I got to work that I was able to breathe, now I'm thinking about the pyrenee...I didn't call the man, I can't do anything about it while I have 4 dogs in the house....what a morning.:frustrated:

Prin
January 4th, 2007, 11:29 AM
I'm glad you got her back... Now you know why you found her... :o

Some doggies just get this "wind", whether it's from a bad dream or thought, or just a memory in how the wind blows or something and take off. Boo used to do it too.

Poor doggies.:(

:grouphug: for you, frenchy.

Hunter's_owner
January 4th, 2007, 11:31 AM
Oh my goodness Frenchy!!! What a crazy morning.

I have to keep Hunter tied on at my parent's house when we visit because it isn't fenced. I don't think he would run away now, but he did when he was young, and it was NOT a good experience for anyone involved.:(

Thank god you got her back:o

happycats
January 4th, 2007, 11:31 AM
:frustrated: So this morning, I was going back to work after a 5 days vacation. Lilly decided to run away from my yard, she crawled under the fence and when I finally saw her, she was in the bush on the other side. I tried to coax her to come near the gate but she just took off. I was barefoot,wearing pj pants and a tank top. Ran back inside to put shoes and went back outside by the front door, she was nowhere to be seen. I went all the way to my neighbor's yard and was screaming her name.No Lilly. So I went back,got dress, took out the dogs before I leave again to find her,she's in the driveway...I call her and when I open the gate,she ran off again :yell: got into my car and started to make rounds.I pass by the "controle animalier" house, it's a scrap yard,pretty sure I saw a pyrenee :( went back to my place a couple of time, the third time,she was there,in the driveway, I open my car door, called her, she got in....OMG !!! Put the leash on her , got he back inside the house and left for work (got there late) I didn't say a word because I was sooo mad. All this time Molly was kind of wining, knowing her friend was in danger (roads are pretty scary out here) Poor baby. So will have to tie Lilly outside when she wants to go out, until saturday when I can secure the fence. Only when I got to work that I was able to breathe, now I'm thinking about the pyrenee...I didn't call the man, I can't do anything about it while I have 4 dogs in the house....what a morning.:frustrated:

Doesn't it seem just like they are laughing at you the whole time your going insane and in a panick chasing after them?! :D
I'm just glad you got her back and all is well!

OMG a a Pyr!!! I just LOVE Pyr's !!! :cloud9: and Kuvasz.

technodoll
January 4th, 2007, 11:40 AM
jeez frenchy, you sure know how to jump-start your day :D all kidding aside i know how frustrating and frightening it is when that happens... all the "what ifs" start going through your head as every minute "sans dog" passes... :grouphug: I'm happy she's back the little devil, and NO cookies for her tonight! just a long new clothes line to tie her up in the fenced back yard! :evil:

Frenchy
January 4th, 2007, 11:42 AM
I will have to warn the rescue that takes her about it. So , she ran away from her owners, from the controle animalier, by the front door first day I got her when I came back from work (didn't happen twice :evil: ) and now this morning. This is sooo dangerous for her. Is there any obedience class that could help in this case?

Frenchy
January 4th, 2007, 11:45 AM
jeez frenchy, you sure know how to jump-start your day :D

While I was outside, I don't remember if cars were passing by but if they did, people probably laugh their a** off, pj pants,tank top,winter boots, by the side of a regional road....if you hear about a crazy lady on the 219 , it was me :mad:

jessi76
January 4th, 2007, 12:16 PM
oh man... what a stressfull morning for you! GLAD to hear she's back safe & sound though!!!

I will have to warn the rescue that takes her about it. So , she ran away from her owners, from the controle animalier, by the front door first day I got her when I came back from work (didn't happen twice :evil: ) and now this morning. This is sooo dangerous for her. Is there any obedience class that could help in this case?

obedience teach the dog to stay? to know it's boundaries? to come when called? sure, there's obedience classes that help.

my dog knows stay & come, and knows his boundaries... he's also a basenji and chooses to ignore. HE'S NOT TRUSTED UNLESS HOG-TIED AND IN ALCATRAZ. seriously. he can clear a 5 ft fence w/ almost no effort, he's unhooked his leash from his collar, he's wiggled out of his collar, he's snapped 3 cable runs, chewed through countless leashes..... and people wonder why I'm a spaz when the dog is outside.... I now put a blinking light on his collar so I can see him better. for goodness sake, it's so bad now, that I practically have a panic attack if Tucker goes behind a tree to do his business and he's out of my sight for 3 seconds....

Skryker
January 4th, 2007, 12:25 PM
:grouphug: Poor Frenchy! Maybe it's a lab thing? Bronwyn has led a couple of escapes on me.:frustrated: I don't think Fingal would go very far without an accomplice, but Bronny gets it into her head now and again to try and make a break for it. It's why we're working so hard on training her to come to a whistle when we're down by the river-hopefully, I can get to come back before she's around the corner next time she slithers out the door on me. :(

(And the last time, it was both my daughter and I in PJs and boots, waving carrots in the air, trying to get Bronwyn to come back. I feel your pain!)

hazelrunpack
January 4th, 2007, 01:36 PM
What a scary start to a morning! Glad to hear you finally managed to nab the little escape artist and take her back into custody!

I went out and checked our entire fenceline just now...haven't done it for a while and your story reminded me that our dogs sometimes dig up the mole tunnels that pass under the fence.... (whew! fenceline is still good :fingerscr )

Wouldn't you think that dogs would realize (in a fine mix of old adages) what side of the fence their bread is buttered on? But some dogs just have the wanderlust. I wonder how much has to do with the wolf genome? :shrug: Wolves are great travelers...

And everything smells so funky out there in the Wide World! :D

Which leaves us Humans to try to outsmart them in their wolfy ways--and scarily, accidents still happen and they can get away. :sad:

~michelle~
January 4th, 2007, 01:47 PM
:grouphug: poor frenchy!!!! :grouphug: wat a heart attack you mustve been having

TeriM
January 4th, 2007, 04:55 PM
OMG, that must have been so scary :sad: . I'm glad she is ok. An obedience class would probably help. Our class with Riley that we took had us select an "emergency password" to teach them to come in high stress situations. We tend to tell our dogs "come" all the time without realizing it ... come here you little brat .... come on, hurry up ... etc. which desensitizes them to the command. By using a new word that is always fun and a really great treat then they are more likely to come to that (that's the theory anyway).

TMac
January 4th, 2007, 05:17 PM
Is there any obedience class that could help in this case?

Unfortunately it seems that some dogs are just natural escape artists. There is at least one in our neighbourhood that is famous for it, so at least the neighbours know where to bring him home each time!

The only thing I could suggest is regular obedience plus maybe a class doing 'emergency recall'. I haven't taken this class before but I heard it can work. :shrug:

wdawson
January 4th, 2007, 06:32 PM
glad you got her back ok..........i'm still trying to picture the crazy lady in pj's and boots:D

Frenchy
January 4th, 2007, 06:45 PM
he can clear a 5 ft fence w/ almost no effort,

I'm sorry but I just had a small giggle :sorry: 5 ft fence ? A Basenji ! Those are small dogs right ? :D Well I got back to Sherrington at about 6h00 , the hardware store was close ! :mad: It's the only freakin store here and it's close :yell: I wanted to secure the fence tonight, it's making me real nervous, I tied her outside but stayed there and watch ! :shrug: She was trying to eat it (will not work,it's a metal "clothes line") and roll on the ground and got all twisted in it :frustrated: She is not giving lab a good name. I had a lot of fosters (all goldens) and NEVER did one try to break free. :shrug: I can't wait to have the fence 100% secure.

Frenchy
January 4th, 2007, 06:45 PM
glad you got her back ok..........i'm still trying to picture the crazy lady in pj's and boots:D

Didn't you see me on the news at 6h00 ? :eek:

wdawson
January 4th, 2007, 06:49 PM
you mean dog owner girls gone wild don't you:D

Frenchy
January 4th, 2007, 06:51 PM
you mean dog owner girls gone wild don't you:D

Good one ! Do they give out money for this ? :pray:

TeriM
January 4th, 2007, 07:00 PM
Do you have any tags on her Frenchy? At least then if she escapes someone could phone you.

jessi76
January 4th, 2007, 07:05 PM
I'm sorry but I just had a small giggle :sorry: 5 ft fence ? A Basenji ! Those are small dogs right ? :D Well I got back to Sherrington at about 6h00 , the hardware store was close ! :mad: It's the only freakin store here and it's close :yell: I wanted to secure the fence tonight, it's making me real nervous, I tied her outside but stayed there and watch !

he's a Basenji-boxer - basically he's a 50lb basenji. yes, a 5 ft fence. effortless. so now you are just like me.... last year I was out in knee deep snow, in boots and jammies w/ Tucker on leash to do his business... so we fenced in half our yard for the dog so I could stay in the warm house when he had to "go".... and now, I send him in the fenced yard, with a blinking light on him, and i'm still outside in boots and jammies to watch him. wtf?!

btw, I love these - it helps keep tabs on escape artists at night. I dont' have this exact one, mine is bone-shaped, and has 3 "blink" settings.

Smiley14
January 4th, 2007, 07:21 PM
Oh Frenchy, you have a runner on your hands! I'm so sorry!!

I have a runner too. (See my GPS for dogs post, LOL!) It drives me nuts!!! Training may or may not help. Petey passed his Good Citizen Test and has been through SEVERAL obedience training classes. I've had classroom trainers and private in-home trainers. So he knows full well what his commands are, but willfully chooses to ignore them (from me or any of the trainers) when on the run. I swear it's in their blood. Petey doesn't even try to escape, he'll just take advantage of an opportunity if given one. He doesn't dig, he doesn't jump or look for ways out. But if that door is left open accidentally (by someone else, not me!), off he goes. I've had many an instance where I've chased after him screaming his name and commands in all manner of dress--PJ's, high heels, sweatpants, wet hair, even a bridesmaids dress with curlers once. ARGH! But he just keeps right on running like it's a big game. If I drive by in the car and open the door, he'll jump right in. Or if he stops to greet a neighbor or another dog, I can catch him no problem. He just wants to run and explore.
I even got desperate enough to install an invisible fence and even after five months of working with their trainers and boundary training and an EIGHT FOOT SHOCK RANGE, he would still go running right through!!! Needless to say, even that didn't work. I am clueless on what to do to break his stubborn desire to run. So yeah, the police, animal control, and neighbors know him pretty well by now. Very embarrassing moments have been witnessed by my neighbors over the last few years, LOL, so I feel for you! :grouphug:

Smiley14
January 4th, 2007, 07:25 PM
oh man... what a stressfull morning for you! GLAD to hear she's back safe & sound though!!!

obedience teach the dog to stay? to know it's boundaries? to come when called? sure, there's obedience classes that help.

my dog knows stay & come, and knows his boundaries... he's also a basenji and chooses to ignore. HE'S NOT TRUSTED UNLESS HOG-TIED AND IN ALCATRAZ. seriously. he can clear a 5 ft fence w/ almost no effort, he's unhooked his leash from his collar, he's wiggled out of his collar, he's snapped 3 cable runs, chewed through countless leashes..... and people wonder why I'm a spaz when the dog is outside.... I now put a blinking light on his collar so I can see him better. for goodness sake, it's so bad now, that I practically have a panic attack if Tucker goes behind a tree to do his business and he's out of my sight for 3 seconds....

:sorry: :offtopic: Oh, Jessi! I think our dogs are long lost fraternal twins. LOL!

Dracko
January 4th, 2007, 07:36 PM
Reading this makes me so happy my GSD is not a runner. NEVER. The only reason I have to make sure he is tied up, on a leash or in a fenced in area (besides is the law) is cuz he will run up to strangers and bark scaring them. At my old house my neighbour had changed some of the fencing and I didn't realize while doing so he wrecked some of mine so it was no longer secured in the ground. My nephew found Dracko sitting on the front step (the fence was in the backyard). We didn't know what happened. The next time it did we took a walk around the yard. The part that was down was right beside the garage where you wouldn't notice unless you were looking for it.

I was so, so, so happy he choose to just sit on the front step. I assume no one came by or tried to step on the property cuz I'd have probably gotten sued. He is pretty territorial. If we are out for a walk and I let him off his leash, if I turn around and walk the other way he always follows.

I don't know if anyone who has a runner for a dog every has found a solution? We have a friend who lives on an acreage. Unless he is with his dogs he has to keep them tied or penned up as they will run. How sad. All the land and they can't just explore it.

I feel for you Frenchy, though, as we all have struggles with our pets. Mine isn't a runner but he barks and scares strangers. Wish that wasn't the case.

Prin
January 4th, 2007, 07:38 PM
I bet she knows Molly's leaving.:(:o

Frenchy
January 4th, 2007, 08:00 PM
I bet she knows Molly's leaving.:(:o

You're a mean mean girl Prin :sad: :D Just kidding. For those who don't know, Lilly aka the escape artist is kind of a .. not really a foster but a dog waiting for her spot in another rescue. I found her (she was walking/running by my house one morning) and I picked her up. I do foster for a rescue but I would have to dye her blond and put some fake fur on her :shrug: (it's a golden rescue :p ) I ask yet again today if they find a spot in a foster family for her , waiting for an answer, I know they have lots of dogs right now. I really would like for her to go soon, I'm getting attach to her and Molly and that's not good for my heart (they are both fosters)

brandynva
January 4th, 2007, 09:27 PM
I wonder if rescue dogs, or dogs who have had multiple homes, just aren't sure where home is. Our two that we've had since puppyhood never go out of earshot and always run back when called. However, I've experienced another dog who would look at you while you are calling her and run the OPPOSITE direction and wouldn't come back for HOURS. It was soooo stressful. So I wonder if she will ever truly break the habit. Maybe once she finds a permanent home and is there for a while? I don't know. I'm sorry you had to deal with taht Frenchy. I know how frustrating and heartsick it can make you. I'm glad she's safe and you are a good mommy.

twisten
January 5th, 2007, 02:55 PM
I find Husky's are really bad for running away. We've had 3 over the years and every one of them would run away. We're on an acreage but only 1/2 a mile out of a small town and the last husky/wolf we had was always in town. We tried tying him but he wouldn't go to the bathroom. We ended up giving him to a vet who lived on a farm with no close neighbours and he is doing great there. The GSD we have now never ever leaves the yard.

chico2
January 5th, 2007, 03:53 PM
Frenchy I can just imagine how your heart was thumping,very scary,but luckily you got her..we don't want another Homer or Jace.:sad:

rainbow
January 6th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Well, I'm a little late but I just wanted to say I'm glad you got Lilly back before anything serious happened. :grouphug:

Frenchy
January 6th, 2007, 06:24 PM
Update ; the fence has been secured , I repeat, the fence has been secured :D http://bestsmileys.com/jail/1.gif

~michelle~
January 6th, 2007, 07:00 PM
horray frenchy..... i know your heart ache.
today logan's leach clasp broke (no idea how it was newer and we never had a prob before and he ran out into a busy street during rush hour and was a foot away from being hit by a car it slammed on its brakes and logan dodged it (which aggrivated his hip dysplasia a bit)! luckily he wasnt hit and he ran up to a girl to get some pats and she held on to him (shes my new angel i lovve her) between that and the chicken bone scare the dog is giving me heart attacks!!! but yeah the never ending heart ache of the runners you always have to be careful, both of the huskys are runners:sad:

Dracko
January 6th, 2007, 07:02 PM
Update ; the fence has been secured , I repeat, the fence has been secured :D http://bestsmileys.com/jail/1.gif

:D Made me LOL.

TeriM
January 6th, 2007, 07:44 PM
LOL, great smiley :thumbs up. Good job on the fence, maybe you could fund your foster program by doing fence repairs on the side :D .

TMac
January 6th, 2007, 09:40 PM
horray frenchy..... i know your heart ache.
today logan's leach clasp broke (no idea how it was newer and we never had a prob before and he ran out into a busy street during rush hour and was a foot away from being hit by a car it slammed on its brakes and logan dodged it (which aggrivated his hip dysplasia a bit)! luckily he wasnt hit and he ran up to a girl to get some pats and she held on to him (shes my new angel i lovve her) between that and the chicken bone scare the dog is giving me heart attacks!!! but yeah the never ending heart ache of the runners you always have to be careful, both of the huskys are runners:sad:

OMG, Michelle! you must have had your heart in your throat!!! :grouphug:
I have also heard that the nordic dogs are notorious runners.

Frenchy
January 7th, 2007, 08:24 AM
OMG Michelle , what a scare :( Thank dog for that girl !

Frenchy
January 7th, 2007, 08:27 AM
LOL, great smiley :thumbs up. Good job on the fence, maybe you could fund your foster program by doing fence repairs on the side :D .

I could call it ; how do lab proof your yard !

Prin
January 7th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Crazy scary Michelle! Glad he was ok.

Frenchy
January 7th, 2007, 03:19 PM
I could call it ; how do lab proof your yard !

it seems I failed :frustrated:

rainbow
January 7th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Michell, sorry to hear about your scare with Logan. :grouphug: Glad he is okay. :thumbs up So far, I haven't had a problem with my Logan yet and he's got loose twice. :fingerscr Thank god, he listened to me to my total amazement. :o

rainbow
January 7th, 2007, 04:55 PM
it seems I failed :frustrated:

Frenchy, you didn't fail. I just read on your other thread that Lilli isn't spayed yet so that's obviously why she is determined to get out of the yard. :frustrated:

It would be so nice if a lab rescue could take her and get her spayed. Or, another foster home could be found that not only has a secure fenced yard but someone who is fortunate enough to be able to stay home with her. I hope, for your sake, that you can find that "someone" soon. :fingerscr

glasslass
January 7th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Frenchy, I don't think I have ever seen a more appropriate smiley! On a few occasions, both D-D and Corky have scooted past me at the door and taken off. They aren't running away. They're wanting to be chased for the sheer wild thrill of it. If I head in the opposite direction, they come running after me. It's maddening, but so hard not to laugh when their eyes dance merrily and they run in great bounding leaps silently singing "I'm freeee! I'm freeeeee!" You panic that a car will come down the street before you can nab the little escapees. I'm pretty adept now at keeping them back from the door, but it's always a concern when we have other people in the house. I keep a leash on them when people are going in and out and I know I'll be distracted. Surprizingly, just attaching a short leash and letting it trail seems to curb their desire to be naughty. With it, they're on good behavior.

Peepmouse
January 7th, 2007, 11:23 PM
I hope you get Lily placed quickly or get her back to a rescue shelter for your own sanity Frenchy...:( It's always so traumatic when a dog runs off.:eek:
I know we've had a couple of incidents with Cinder, but they were all out at the lake, so she didn't run off too far (plus as soon as we pretend to turn around and say "Bye!", she comes a running, thinking she may miss out on something), but it now means that she goes nowhere without being on a leash! Pepper is really good!:thumbs up She's very intelligent and usually listens without a problem, however :frustrated: now that she's getting older, when she's wandering our property out at the lake, snooping, she has selective hearing, ignoring our calls, until we get annoyed and yell at her!:yell:

chico2
January 8th, 2007, 06:14 AM
Frenchy,please don't think you failed Lilly,she was a stray,no home,no food and there you were:angel:
I wish Lilly could understand that she is in a good place,that her running will only get her in trouble,but unfortunately she does not..
I hope someone will step in and help you out,not because you are a failure,but because there are some things we just cannot control.:cat: :love:

Frenchy
January 8th, 2007, 11:16 AM
Thanks everyone for your kind words. :grouphug: