Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

feline acne

MartiniGIrl
January 4th, 2007, 12:13 PM
One of my cats has feline acne under her chin. It looks like she has dirt embedded in her skin. I'm not sure what it's from since she eats out of a ceramic bowl, I'm thinking it could be stress. Someone told me to wash her chin with anti-bacterial soap, but that's rather difficult since she hates water (ever try to wash a cat???). It was also suggested that I use tea tree oil, but after buying some I read on the bottle to not putit near mucus membranes, so now I'm afraid to use that.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? or should I take her to the vet? She doesnt seem bothered by it, she does scratch now and then, but it's not inflamed or anything. I'm not sure what a vet could even do for her.

Has anyone had experience with feline acne?

Hunter's_owner
January 4th, 2007, 12:39 PM
One of my cats has feline acne under her chin. It looks like she has dirt embedded in her skin. I'm not sure what it's from since she eats out of a ceramic bowl, I'm thinking it could be stress. Someone told me to wash her chin with anti-bacterial soap, but that's rather difficult since she hates water (ever try to wash a cat???). It was also suggested that I use tea tree oil, but after buying some I read on the bottle to not putit near mucus membranes, so now I'm afraid to use that.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? or should I take her to the vet? She doesnt seem bothered by it, she does scratch now and then, but it's not inflamed or anything. I'm not sure what a vet could even do for her.

Has anyone had experience with feline acne?

My dog Hunter had the chin itchies awhile ago, and still sometimes off and on. We were told to get an antibacterial soap to use. I am not sure if it differs with cats or not, and I know how hard it may be to wash the chin. Some people wrap the cat in a towel while they are doing this:shrug:

Dracko
January 4th, 2007, 05:30 PM
My cat Teddy (who lived to be 18 but I had to put him down about a year ago) had cat acne most of his life. It only ever appeared under his chin. The first few times I saw it I thought he and his sister had gotten in to a fight as he had a scab on his chin. Over time I figured out it was acne and it didn't seem to bother him at all. He'd get pimples almost like humans do that filled up with white pus, other times more like the blackhead type you mentioned, Martini.

The vet we went to told me some cats are just more prone to it. Teddy drank and ate out of ceramic dishes so plastic wasn't a problem. Other than the acne and the day he got very ill and I had to take him to the vet to be put down (turned out it was very advanced fast-acting pancreatic cancer), he had zero health problems in 18 years.

I know at first I too worried about it, but I'm sure if your vet says it's just acne you can stop worrying and just realize like some humans your cat is prone to it. Teddy's sister didn't have it nor do my other 3 cats (and I check...LOL)...just one of those things.

chico2
January 4th, 2007, 05:34 PM
My Vinnie had it,beeing white it really showed off,the vet gave me a 2%chloroxyl scrub,you just put it on,no washing needed and the acne was gone in a couple of days.

MartiniGIrl
January 5th, 2007, 08:30 AM
thanks for your replies. I'll try the soap for another week or so, if that doesnt work, perhaps I'll take her to the vet.

It isnt contageous is it? because I have 5 other cats!

chico2
January 5th, 2007, 08:37 AM
I don't think it is contagious,but after Vinnie I had to treat Rocky too,he probably had it for a while but being a brown tabby I did not notice before.
You can probably go to your vet and ask for the solution,you should not have to take your kitty,if you are sure it's feline acne.

MartiniGIrl
January 5th, 2007, 10:52 AM
I don't think it is contagious,but after Vinnie I had to treat Rocky too,he probably had it for a while but being a brown tabby I did not notice before.
You can probably go to your vet and ask for the solution,you should not have to take your kitty,if you are sure it's feline acne.

my vet will not prescribe anything without seeing the cat first.

Hunter's_owner
January 5th, 2007, 10:55 AM
A lot of the medicated shampoos can be bought over the counter.

chico2
January 5th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Yes,my vet sells it together with shampoos and other things,not a prescribed medication.

MartiniGIrl
January 5th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Yes,my vet sells it together with shampoos and other things,not a prescribed medication.

ooohh ok, thanks, I just assumed it was medication. I'll call my vet and ask, thanks.

Dracko
January 5th, 2007, 04:11 PM
I would find it hard to believe that it is contageous given I had 3 cats and only 1 ever had it. My vet certainly told me it wasn't.

chico2
January 5th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Dracko,I did not say it was contageous,but my Rocky had it too,maybe for a long time,I just did not notice.

Dracko
January 5th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Sorry, my post wasn't directed at you. I just meant in general I didn't think it was contageous. Not that I am even necessarily right. I just went by my own experience and what my vet said.

MartiniGIrl
January 8th, 2007, 08:39 AM
I dropped into my vet's office on Friday and they had a shampoo with the 2%chloroxyl in it. When I asked if it was good for acne, the girl at the desk said let me check and went into the back room. She came back with a little vile of stuff. She said that one of the doctor's cats had acne and she used this and it got rid of it. Apparently, it's the disinfectant soap they use in surgeries. She gave it to me free of charge and said that it should do the trick! So I'm trying it and I'll have to see what happens. I'm lucky to get a hold of my cat once a day to give her chin scrub.