Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Feral cat update

vfrohloff
January 4th, 2007, 08:07 AM
Just thought I'd update you all on my feral cat situation. Ted is now in the house full time and has been nicknamed Tedley Mushbucket. We've had few problems with him so far, although he has a crush on both dogs and has been growled at a few times for his overzealous affection. He often sleeps in their beds with them (only when I'm around though) and when I'm not home he either goes outside or into the computer room. He's fully litter trained and hasn't sprayed in the house which is a huge relief. It was DH who gave him his nickname and he has quickly become his favorite which says a lot because DH isn't really a cat person. Ted seems to have established his place in the house with regards to the other cats; we still have a few hissing episodes here and there but overall everyone seems to get along or at least tolerate each other.

I had posted a while back about Maurice, another feral who started coming at night for meals. He shows up about every second night and is quite friendly. He's also started bringing a friend along, probably a relative since they are almost identical. Sadly, this other one is a very young female, also very friendly. I'm assuming that she's not spayed because he isn't neutered which means I have to save my bucks and at least get her fixed. Does anyone in Montreal know of any shelters taking in cats right now? She's a lovely little kitty and I'm sure she'd make a great pet. I'm not too hopeful though because I know this is a busy time of year for shelters. Anyway, I don't mind feeding them but this is terrible timing for me to find the money to spay and neuter them. I'm sure they are living in someone's barn because they never stick around and only show up every couple of days. So that's my update. If anyone is looking for a cat, please let me know!

Mahealani770
January 4th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Hello there V! I'm always looking for an update on Teddy and your situation. Im so happy to hear that everything is going well but how sad for the other two that need a home :sad: Try not to worry about them too much. You have quite enough on your plate! And by the way,when is the baby coming?Thanks for the update and I want pics! lol

vfrohloff
January 5th, 2007, 07:55 AM
Hi there Mahealani! I tried to get pics last night, but neither cat showed up for dinner. :shrug: However, on my drive home last night I saw Maurice sitting in the neighbor's driveway, up near his barn so I'm assuming that's where he goes at night. There are often a few cats lingering around there so I don't know, maybe he feeds them. I'd go talk to the guy, but our neighbors all seem a bit weird (that's another story I'll tell sometime) and I'd prefer not to get friendly with any of them. As long as Maurice has a shelter to go to at night I don't mind feeding him when he comes by, and if I can afford it I'll get him neutered sometime.

Baby Jake is due on February 4th. I am feeling quite heavy at the moment and am having trouble getting comfortable at night. I prop myself up with pillows in bed, but it doesn't seem to make a whole lot of a difference. The good thing is that DH is almost solely in charge of the pet care now which gives me a bit of a break. Fact is, I just can't bend down far enough to feed the cats or scoop up dog poop anymore, or at least that's what I tell him. :D

Mahealani770
January 8th, 2007, 09:23 AM
Hahaha....good one. Ahhh..we can use pregnancy as an excuse to get out of so many chores..lol :p Well good luck with the birthing thing and please post pics of little Jake. Getting pregnant is a dream for my partner and I, but being that we are two women, it is ridiculously expensive. So, don't know when we'd be able to afford it. So anyway, pregnant women have a special place in my heart as they are blessed with something I can only dream about right now:cloud9: Good luck and post pics (of furbabies and human baby) when you can!

~M~