Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

i feel so alone!

technodoll
January 4th, 2007, 12:04 AM
am i the only idiot on the planet who can't swallow pills? :o

Prin
January 4th, 2007, 12:58 AM
lol what do you do with them? When I was younger, up until 19, I crushed them up in strawberry jam... I still taste aspirin in strawberry jam.:D

I was just taught how to do it wrong. They always said, "put it in the back of your mouth and swallow it while you drink." But that never worked for me because I was always so focused on the pill and it would just get stuck. What I did was first take a sip of whatever you're drinking, so your throat is ready for it, and then put the pill on the tip of your tongue and as you drink you try desperately to suspend the pill in the drink so that you don't ever feel it and then you gulp down the drink like a shot.:D (but keep drinking afterwards too)

But yeah, it's hard to get it the first time.:o

oo what also helps me is when I go to swallow, I flap my hands around like a crazy person, so then I'm thinking of my arms and hands instead of the pill...:o

rainbow
January 4th, 2007, 01:02 AM
The only pills I have trouble with are the ones in the gelatin capsules. I can usually get one down but the next gets stuck and then dissolves in my esophagus if I can't cough it up quick enough. :frustrated:

~michelle~
January 4th, 2007, 01:09 AM
poor td.... :( i cant offer you any advice ive never had a problem swallowing pills (when i was young i hated chewable pills so i got the normal ones and had to swallow them) dont worry i have alot of friends who still cant swallow them whole

Peepmouse
January 4th, 2007, 01:13 AM
You're not alone in that area TD! My dad has problems with that as well. He has to take one at a time and he does the head bob with every one, using at least a glass of water for the whole process. I, on the other hand, am like my Mom, and don't have any problems. I take about 12 at a time every morning, just throwing them in my mouth and taking a big gulp of water to swallow them with a couple of extra gulps for good measure. The main thing is that you get them down, right? When I was in the hospital this last summer, what the nurses would do for the people that couldn't swallow pills, was crush them into apple sauce. You could probably mix them into orange juice or apple juice as well, to help disguise the bitter taste.:yuck:

erykah1310
January 4th, 2007, 01:19 AM
I cant swallown any pills either TD :sad: I focus too much on what has to be done in the process and end up holding it up on the roof of my mouth with my tounge and swallowing all the water :shrug:
Only way i can do it is with food. Have to eat a bananer and sneak the pill in there just as i am bout to swallow that.

~michelle~
January 4th, 2007, 01:35 AM
just make sure the pills you have can be crushed or cut (if persciption that info will be on the pamphlet they give with you) i work with people who arent a fan of swallowing their pills and we put them hole in applesauce and it seems to help the process a large tablespoon of applesauce followed by a glass of water

LynLyn
January 4th, 2007, 03:16 AM
oo what also helps me is when I go to swallow, I flap my hands around like a crazy person, so then I'm thinking of my arms and hands instead of the pill...:o

hehe Prin have you ever had to take a pill at an emergency room or someplace where you would have an audience for this?

Hunter's_owner
January 4th, 2007, 07:28 AM
My cousin does the arm flappy thing when she swallows a pill too. It is pretty funny to watch her, she usually goes into the bathroom or something so she can do it in private, lol:o

technodoll
January 4th, 2007, 08:45 AM
arm flapping and apple sauce or a banana... i have my homework cut out for me :D seriously, i have never been able to swallow even the tiniest of pills. i choke, they get stuck, i gag, i throw up :o so i have to chew everything... sometimes pills taste too bad so i have to go without. i pray to dog i never get sick! :pray:

Lukka'sma
January 4th, 2007, 09:20 AM
I can't swallow them either. I pulverize them into dust and mix with grape jelly. I find to swallow that with water is not too effective for me either. I think it has to do with the water being so thin, so I take an envelope of Carnation Instant Breakfast and sprinkle some in a glass (about one quarter of the pack) and then only add enough milk to mix it so that it is a thinkened version of the drink. I find the thickness of the drink also makes the jelly stuff harder to detect in my mouth otherwise my tongue would seek the blob out and pin it against the roof of my mouth of pocket it in my cheek. Works for me every time. It used to be quite a process to have the counter lined up with all this stuff (cutting board, knife, glass, envelope, spoon x2, jelly, milk, dreadful pill, and at a few other necessities) but after a life time of doing this it is so routine that I can have a pill out and in my gullet in seconds with no muss, no fuss

Prin
January 4th, 2007, 12:09 PM
hehe Prin have you ever had to take a pill at an emergency room or someplace where you would have an audience for this?

lol no.. Not yet.:D

Good luck techno! :D You haven't tried at least the jam/jelly method?

technodoll
January 4th, 2007, 12:20 PM
i just chew all my pills in a mouthful of juice... you get used to the bitter tastes after a while. for those pills that taste supergrossnastymakeyoupuke, well yeah jam, honey, pinched nose, eat chocolate after... sigh. :( and forget about taking anything in a capsule or gelatin container!

happycats
January 4th, 2007, 12:22 PM
De Ja Vu , didn't we have this post last night? How Come I can't find my posts?

Oh well, TD your not alone, my hubby will NOT swallow any pill! He uses a pill crusher, crushes the pill, puts it in a table spoon with sugar, then chases the mix with a big glass of milk ( he says the milk pretty much kills the after taste of all medication)
I don't know, but it looks soooooo long and drawn out, just swallow the darn thing already :( would be a whole lot easier! (it's torture just watching him!:eek: ):rolleyes:
My biggest fear is that my son sees this, and I'm worried he will be the same:eek: big babiesJK:D

Prin
January 4th, 2007, 12:23 PM
lol you talked about it in the TJT...

happycats
January 4th, 2007, 12:24 PM
lol you talked about it in the TJT...

OG thank you, for a minute there I thought I was losing it!:crazy:

technodoll
January 4th, 2007, 12:34 PM
wow :eek: talk about coincidence, how weird is that :confused: :D

Golden Girls
January 4th, 2007, 02:01 PM
ha ha I find this so funny sorry TD. My man still can't swallow either ... and I've tried hiding it - the whole nine yards. And Happycats, his daughter (19) can't either :)

It's so odd because they both just swallow a mouth full of pasta without chewing yet can't swallow a tiny tiny pill. I don't get it :confused:

technodoll
January 4th, 2007, 02:04 PM
it must be psychological! :o wish i could go to a hypnotist and have them program me to swallow pills, LOL!

Frenchy
January 4th, 2007, 02:36 PM
hummm... can't swallow.... door is open...for ...so ... many ...jokes.....have...to ...shut ....my ...mouth.....

happycats
January 4th, 2007, 02:41 PM
hummm... can't swallow.... door .....have...to ...shut ....my ...mouth.....

Bad Bad!!!

technodoll
January 4th, 2007, 03:14 PM
are youse guys making fun of me? eh? eh? :evil:

:D

Stacer
January 4th, 2007, 04:07 PM
I too used to have trouble swallowing pills (still have trouble with the really big vitamins). I still get stressed about taking pills and have to psych myself up for it, I do it near a sink in case I have to spit it out or choke, and I prefer if no one is around to watch me take the pills. Here is a method that someone told me about. Put the pill in the middle of your tongue, take a gulp of water and put the tip of your tongue on the roof of your mouth just behind your front teeth as you swallow, it opens up your throat better and the pill goes down smoother. It workd for me, maybe it's psychological, I don't care, it works.

LL1
January 4th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Definitely check and make sure they can be crushed,with some timed release drugs you could be in serious trouble,and it can be fatal with some,oxycontin etc

technodoll
January 4th, 2007, 04:29 PM
of course! i only chew the OTC pills (like tylenol or gravol, muscle relaxant...). for anything prescription i always tell the doctor i need either a liquid or a chewable form and if not available, i just don't take the drug :shrug:

i really need to learn how to swallow without gagging. Frenchy, you are not allowed to elaborate on this one! LOL :D

Frenchy
January 4th, 2007, 05:00 PM
i really need to learn how to swallow without gagging. Frenchy, you are not allowed to elaborate on this one! LOL :D

What's the opposite of chicka bow chicka bow bow ? :rolleyes: too .... easy.....just....had....to.:shrug: :sorry:

chico2
January 4th, 2007, 05:13 PM
OMG,children!!! OMG,chewing pills:yuck:
I take huge calciumpills,vitamins etc...put them all in my mouth at once a glass of water and down they go..
But I do remember as a kid,I used to gag from just taking an aspirin:)

Bearsmom
January 4th, 2007, 05:24 PM
Just for fun, can you take them with peanut butter? Wrap them in cheese?

Oh, wait, no....that's for dogs.

I have NO solutions for you, I really don't.

technodoll
January 4th, 2007, 08:27 PM
he he! i must be a cat in human clothing! :cat: :D

Prin
January 4th, 2007, 09:24 PM
wow :eek: talk about coincidence, how weird is that :confused: :D

lol I just assumed you saw it in the TJT.. But then I wondered because in the TJT, almost everybody knew somebody who at some point couldn't take pills, so you wouldn't have felt left out...

technodoll
January 4th, 2007, 09:51 PM
The TJT scares me now... it just grew too big! :eek: :o

Frenchy
January 4th, 2007, 09:54 PM
The TJT scares me now... it just grew too big! :eek: :o

ah come on, it's not so bad.

Prin
January 4th, 2007, 09:57 PM
Tsk. It's been pretty dead over the holidays. Now it's all renos, bras and hugging Mesaana (she just lost her dad :sad: :rip: :grouphug: and she needs hugs! ).

technodoll
January 4th, 2007, 10:28 PM
what! OMG! i had no idea... i'll go see... oh CRAP :sad:

mafiaprincess
January 6th, 2007, 01:46 AM
I never used to swallow pills it was psychological. I always crushed them and put them in honey. Was an ordeal if I had a headache, etc. My Mom tried to teach me with really tiny pills, and it slowly got better. I do have an issue with horse sized vitamins, and telling myself I think I can doesn't help. I'm good with most anything else now though.

erykah1310
January 6th, 2007, 01:53 AM
Definitely check and make sure they can be crushed,with some timed release drugs you could be in serious trouble,and it can be fatal with some,oxycontin etc

R u serious?? I know of "people" who "sniff" oxycontin? Could be fatal?:eek:
Should go out and spread the word... i 've seen it too many times to count.

Prin
January 6th, 2007, 02:43 AM
Umm... Erykah, you need new friends...:o

Oh, yeah, MP- what's up with the horse-sized vitamins? Those are insane and so scary and if you break them in half, they just get sharp. :frustrated:

erykah1310
January 6th, 2007, 02:53 AM
Umm... Erykah, you need new friends...:o

I know, but really im not one of those people who judge:o To each their own :shrug: but now im gonna say something. Especially about that.

Golden Girls
January 6th, 2007, 10:10 AM
it must be psychological! :o wish i could go to a hypnotist and have them program me to swallow pills, LOL!I think it is but I'm sure if you were really serious hypnosis could be a possibility. Can you imagine needing liquid amoxil - you'd like need 16 bottles :D

TMac
January 6th, 2007, 10:47 PM
Don't worry, Technodoll. As you can see, you are not alone! I too could not swallow pills until I was probably around 25 years old. I had tried all the tricks with jam, honey, etc... The breaking point for me was that I got sooooo sick once that I was DESPERATE to get the pill down, so I just had a drink (to wet my tongue so the pill didn't stick), curved my tongue a bit, placed the pill near the back, and GULP GULP GULPED it down as fast as I could with as much water as possible. When I finally was successful, I found I could do it again with little to no problems.

technodoll
January 6th, 2007, 11:14 PM
i'll have to seriously start trying... got some wonderful tricks here! thanks everyone :grouphug:

hazelrunpack
January 6th, 2007, 11:18 PM
:shrug: If all else fails, TD, you could get all your meds in suppository form and if that doesn't motivate ya to learn to swallow pills, nuttin will! :p

technodoll
January 6th, 2007, 11:27 PM
well i guess if i lose all my teeth... :D :eek: :o

erykah1310
January 6th, 2007, 11:53 PM
I let pharmasists know ( well my regular one anyway) that i cant successfully swallow pills ( for antibiotics) and I usually get banana penicillan or some yummy liquid form.:D IM a suck!:o
As for the stuff over the counter that i cant swallow well. I trick myself with the method posted previously.

Frenchy
January 7th, 2007, 09:13 AM
:shrug: If all else fails, TD, you could get all your meds in suppository form and if that doesn't motivate ya to learn to swallow pills, nuttin will! :p

http://bestsmileys.com/lol/1.gif I've been a good girl by staying away from this thread :angel:

Golden Girls
January 7th, 2007, 09:21 AM
lol @ Frenchy. TD at least you now know your not the only one :grouphug:

technodoll
January 7th, 2007, 11:42 AM
yes. i don't feel so alone anymore, even if "some" like to poke fun at me :D !!! :crazy:

Frenchy
January 7th, 2007, 11:49 AM
How dare them ! http://bestsmileys.com/poking/2.gif

trippincherri
January 8th, 2007, 01:42 PM
I have a lot of medical issues that require a lot of medication so swallowing pills is not a big deal for me.
When I was a little kid though all my meds had to be crushed or my mom would try hide them in my food :rolleyes:
I am older now and handle it better though sometimes those big HORSE pills as I like to call them still gag me and hurt when they turn sideways going down.

This is how I take pills:
1st: get your drink ready whatever it may be.
2nd: place pill BETWEEN your front teeth (I cannot let pills touch my tongue or I will puke at the slightest taste of them.):yuck:
3rd: quickly (this has to be all at once) open mouth, let drink push pill down your throat and swallow as usual. Drink until you feel content. ;)

See I think putting the pill on your tongue makes it worse, not just because of the taste but because in the few seconds it takes for you to get your drink to your lips the pills already disolving on your tongue and makes it sticky so therefore the pill will not slide as easy down your throat.
And when it sticks to your tongue or your throat it kicks those gag reflexes in and then your in trouble.

Good Luck TD!! Pray you don't get sick!!:pray:

rainbow
January 8th, 2007, 03:26 PM
http://bestsmileys.com/lol/1.gif I've been a good girl by staying away from this thread :angel:

But we can still read "between the lines" and I've been ROTFLMAO http://bestsmileys.com/lol/5.gif

technodoll
January 8th, 2007, 04:25 PM
bad! BAD girls! off to the dungeon you go! oh no, that only works for the Thread Jack Thread... :o

rainbow
January 8th, 2007, 04:50 PM
Bad Girls, Bad Girls, what'cha gonna do....what'cha gonna do when they come for you !!! :crazy: :crazy:

Frenchy
January 8th, 2007, 07:51 PM
Bad Girls, Bad Girls, what'cha gonna do....what'cha gonna do when they come for you !!! :crazy: :crazy:

what'cha gonna do when TD comes for you,bad girls, bad girls .... ok so I should ,at least, contribute to this thread, have you tried to hide the pill in a chocolate cake ? :p I mean, if you can't swallow chocolate cake.....:confused:

technodoll
January 8th, 2007, 08:58 PM
but i chew my cake, so that won't work :o

hey these new emoticons are cool! :goodvibes:

Prin
January 9th, 2007, 03:01 AM
2nd: place pill BETWEEN your front teeth (I cannot let pills touch my tongue or I will puke at the slightest taste of them.):yuck: Oh, yeah! That's what I do too. Forgot that step.:D It's not on the tip of my tongue at all (like I misinformed you before, techno). Especially when you can't take pills, there's hesitation and with hesitation comes dissolving and with dissolving comes the sand papery not-going-down-the-hatch-ever coating that's just below the slippery surface of the pill... So yeah, definitely keep it between the teeth till the drink starts moving.

marko
January 9th, 2007, 08:40 AM
I Just saw Pulp Fiction again for the 6th or 7th time....

You could always put the pill on a spoon then use a Zippo lighter to light the spoon from underneath to liquify the pill - then load the liquid into a syringe and you're ready to go.

Oh my god did I just write that.....:laughing: :clown: :footinmouth:

Sorry TD, My bad....but I got to use 3 new smilies.....and 1 old one :sorry:

Hunter's_owner
January 9th, 2007, 08:46 AM
OMG Marko, LMAO:laughing:

Marko, maybe this one should apply to you now:footinmouth: (Just kidding:D )

Hunter's_owner
January 9th, 2007, 08:47 AM
Never mind, I guess you already figured that out. I didn't see it amongst al the others. Now I need a smiley who smacks herself in the forehead:o

technodoll
January 9th, 2007, 09:57 AM
dear :footinmouth: marko, :footinmouth: thank you :footinmouth: for the great tip :footinmouth: !

:D :D :D KIDDING!

hey on another note... without sounding tooooo nuts... do any of you sometimes get a gag reflex while brushing your teeth? you know the "brush tongue" part? even when the toothbrush doesn't go far at all? :o

Hunter's_owner
January 9th, 2007, 09:59 AM
hey on another note... without sounding tooooo nuts... do any of you sometimes get a gag reflex while brushing your teeth? you know the "brush tongue" part? even when the toothbrush doesn't go far at all? :o

I do :o

Frenchy....its better to stay out of this one altogether:laughing:

Frenchy
January 9th, 2007, 12:22 PM
I do :o

Frenchy....its better to stay out of this one altogether:laughing:

YOU WISH ! note to self, have a discussion with TD's bf.....

Hunter's_owner
January 9th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Too funny Frenchy, I think of you now whenever I read something in this thread:D :laughing:

Frenchy
January 9th, 2007, 12:47 PM
Time to share :cloud9: I used to gag when my mom made me eat meat. I could have some in my mouth and just keep on bitting on it, my mom would go :yell: swallow the ?%&?$ piece of meat already ! And then I would gag :D It never was natural for me to eat meat I guess. I do have some chicken , but if I encounter something that feels weird in my mouth, I just spit it out into a napkin.:shrug: BUT I CAN SWALLOW A TINY PILL ! :rolleyes:

Hunter's_owner
January 9th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Frenchy I am the same as that. I can eat meat, I do eat a steak from time to time, but I am known to spit the meat into a napkin if I don't like the texture of it. I have been eating and gagged at the thought of the meat in my mouth, even when the taste wasn't bad.:shrug:

Frenchy
January 9th, 2007, 12:54 PM
HO ! Me and you HAVE to go to a restaurant together ! :D And bring TD. :highfive:

Hunter's_owner
January 9th, 2007, 12:58 PM
HO ! Me and you HAVE to go to a restaurant together ! :D And bring TD. :highfive:

I agree:D My bf always looks at me funny when I do it, and my brother gets absolutely disgusted. I have learned to tell him to look away:o

chico2
January 9th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Oh,Oh,I think we have a weird group of people here:laughing:

doggy lover
January 9th, 2007, 04:39 PM
My girlfriend who is almost 50 can't swallow pills, she crushes them up puts them in applesauce and has to still swallow this with a glass of juice like OMG. So as you can see your not the only one, my daughter has to lie down for blood tests as she passes out.:laughing:

technodoll
January 9th, 2007, 05:04 PM
i love you guys! :cloud9: am right at home here... padded cells and all... LOL! :crazy: :crazy:

Frenchy
January 9th, 2007, 08:18 PM
my daughter has to lie down for blood tests as she passes out.:laughing:

Me too :o :shrug:

technodoll
January 9th, 2007, 11:37 PM
HO ! Me and you HAVE to go to a restaurant together ! And bring TD.

true story. when i was little (around 3? 4 years old?) my mom said i hated eating meat so much, i would chew it and ball it up against my cheek and go to bed with it "hiding" in my mouth... my mom would sometimes have to dig it out when i was asleep. she feels so bad about it now... said if back then she had only known about vegetarianism... i probably would have grown up eating very little meat. to this day i am not fond of the stuff :o

Frenchy
January 10th, 2007, 12:54 PM
i would chew it and ball it up against my cheek and go to bed with it "hiding" in my mouth...

:yuck: :D Same at our house , I was the younger one so I had to be creative. My bro used to fake blowing his nose and come back to the table with the kleenex,hide meat and food in it and put it in his drawers , with the clothes ! I was too young when it was going on but we never could bring kleenex at the table after that. So I would wait for everyone to finish their meal (I would stay at least an hour at the table because I couldn't leave if my plate wasn't empty) and when I was alone at the table, I would throw pieces of meat behind the oven (it was a big old one) and would clean it up the next morning when everyone was still asleep. :eek: When we got our cocker spaniel I was in heaven, but we got discovered real quick and Puppy lost the privilege of being fed under the table (by sneaky me) :sad:

Hunter's_owner
January 10th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Very creative guys:thumbs up

Prin
January 10th, 2007, 05:47 PM
Oh, I gag with toothpaste too, but only because I hate the soapy feeling in my mouth. It's so horrible.

I'm having a really hard time during the renos because I have to brush my teeth in the kitchen sink and it's like a mirror so you see all that frothy nastiness... It's so horrible. I have to brush with the lights off.:o