Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need general info on neutering, how it's done and so on

Colubridz
January 2nd, 2007, 09:51 PM
Duke's just around the 6 month corner stone when we were originally planning on getting him neutered and I'm a little nervous to say the least. I've been to two different vets since I've had them and disliked both and don't want to trust him with them. I've decided to bring him to my exotic vet who I recenetly learned also does cats and dogs and 100% trust them and their clinic however I'd still feel better if someone could walk me through what the procedure is like and what to expect afterwards.

Also will neutering change his personality much, he's still a bit mouthy right now and we are working to curve it howevere I've heard it can also cut out some dominance and aggressive behaviour is this true?

My mom wants him to be neutered next week when he turns 5 months but I'm not sure if this is to young, does it make a difference if you wait the extra month?

Thanks
Kayla

wdawson
January 2nd, 2007, 10:05 PM
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=574&EVetID=148032

hope this helps

Colubridz
January 2nd, 2007, 11:06 PM
ya it did thanks just curious my mom is convinced we should get it done early then 6 months are their any hazzards/benefits or reasons to wait till 6 months opposed to say 5 months?

Kayla

erykah1310
January 3rd, 2007, 01:25 AM
Cant think of any hazards, but many many benefits.
and no chance of "accidental breedings" the best one of all! Along with health benefits of course.
:thumbs up

Prin
January 3rd, 2007, 01:30 AM
It doesn't cut out dominant behavior completely, but it does reduce it in the long run generally.

IMO, neutered dogs are the same as intact dogs except that they are less territorial, less likely to cause a fight or bite a person, and they're just generally less "stressed".:shrug:

Scott_B
January 3rd, 2007, 05:11 AM
: For the most part, its a great idea to get him done! thumbs up

There are a few things to consider with a large breed dogs, as it points out in that link, but eventually it should be done with all dogs.

Just remember, its not a cure for bad behavior, so don't expect any huge changes. Good luck. these are pretty common procedures, but I do think your doing well finding a vet your comfortable with! :thumbs up

Sariss
January 3rd, 2007, 07:31 PM
5 months isn't too young. Many breeders and shelters alike will neuter their puppies as early as 8 weeks.

jessi76
January 3rd, 2007, 07:50 PM
I'm pretty sure as long as his "boys" have decended, it's not too early. it can still be done if they haven't, but it's a bit more invasive. I'm no expert, so this is something you should be discussing with your vet.

as for vets doing it as early 8wks, I've NEVER heard of that. if a vet ever suggested such to me, I'd be finding a new vet... quickly.

Colubridz
January 3rd, 2007, 08:46 PM
I will be calling my vet tommorow to make the appoitment and talk over with her about whether I should wait for the 6 month mark ( as I've heard shepherds and some large breeds can run into hormonal problems when neuterd before 6 mo), and just get a general idea of what to expect on that day and after and how everything works ( like drop off, pick up, how long and so on).

He's shaping into a wonderful boy my mom's just very nervous with dogs and dosen't really understand their behaviour 100% yet so interpurts his play behaviour ( he tends to growl when chasing his toys and playing with them though I've heard this is very common for rotti's) as him going to turn out vicious, which is why she wants it done early even though I've explained training and socilization will have a far greater impact on how he turns out.
He does still try to get away with certain behaviours ( like mouthing and jumping on people) but I'm being firm with him and the rest of my family is catching on.

Kayla

kashtin's kin
January 7th, 2007, 11:59 PM
I'm sooo not a vet or anything, and am a neurotic worry-wart when it comes to visits to the clinic. But, I've had MANY cats and dogs spayed and neutered with absolutely no problem; in the case of one VERY stubborn and not over-socialized 8 yr. old Springer Spaniel I took off the hands of some idot distant [non blood!!] relative, neutering did in fact make him easier to train/handle...old dog, new trick!!!! :D

Good for you for wanting more info, and looking into things, but DO go ahead, and know that you are helping your dog have a BETTER life!!!! :thumbs up

Scott_B
January 8th, 2007, 04:57 AM
Yup, very standard procedure. Of course we all get nervous when our pups go in for anything. I've got butterflies now as I'm dropping Rosco of for the big snip in a half hour :eek:

meb999
January 8th, 2007, 05:11 AM
I'm pretty sure as long as his "boys" have decended, it's not too early. it can still be done if they haven't, but it's a bit more invasive. I'm no expert, so this is something you should be discussing with your vet.

as for vets doing it as early 8wks, I've NEVER heard of that. if a vet ever suggested such to me, I'd be finding a new vet... quickly.

actually early neutering is perfectly safe.

http://www.vivo.colostate.edu/hbooks/pathphys/reprod/petpop/early.html

from : http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1625&articleid=911

In the United States, most dogs are neutered between 5 and 8 months of age. Many humane shelters and veterinarians are starting to neuter male animals at a younger age, even 6-14 weeks of age. This early neutering does not affect the growth rate, and there are no appreciable differences in skeletal, physical, or behavioral development between those animals neutered early than those neutered at a more traditional age. It must be remembered that younger animals may need different anesthetics and are more prone to hypothermia (lower than normal body temperature) during surgery. As long as procedures are modified to account for these differences, early neutering is very safe. In fact, animals neutered at a younger age often have faster recoveries than those neutered when they are older.

meb999
January 8th, 2007, 05:15 AM
COLUBRIDZ -- That last website (http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1625&articleid=911) has a list of the behavioral and medical advantages of neutering.

Behavioral :

- Decreased Aggression

- Decreased Roaming

- Increased Concentration

Medical :

- No Testicular Tumors

- Improved Genetics: We all agree that a male carrying a harmful genetic trait like hip dysplasia or epilepsy should be neutered. We must do all that is possible to prevent the spread or continuation of these conditions and others like them.

- Fewer Hernias

- Fewer Perianal Tumors

- Fewer Prostate Problems

Colubridz
January 8th, 2007, 11:58 PM
Ok well just went to do his pre neuter check up as I've decided to go back to my exotic vet who also does domestic animals to be my normal vet clinic for all of my pets period as I've been having trouble finding vets at other clinics who I felt comfortable enough with to trust my dogs health in their hands.

Anyhow we got their, and they did a general check over talked to us for a good 30 mins or so just going over all of the basic puppy care stuff which we pretty much knew but it was still nice of them to go over and explain the whole heart worm testing thing and deworming programs and so on in actual detail unlike the other place which just told us what they recomened without explaining why. She then looked over Duke, said he looked great, said both of his testies had descended so they could do the neuter no problem. She then noticed that some of his puppy teeth hadn't fallen out yet and recommended that we wait a month or so extra before neutering him just to allow them to grow out on their own as any ones that haven't fallen out by the time of the neuter will need to be manually removed as I guess it's something to do with the horomones.

After that she looked through his medical files and previous vaccines and also noticed that my ex-clinic never schedualed a follow up for the lepto vaccine which is ineffective if not given 2 weeks after the first so we had to re do that, which was nice:rolleyes: .

Anyways so it looks like Duke won't be getting snipped for another month and a half or so, but i'll keep everyone updated.

Kayla

Scott_B
January 9th, 2007, 05:01 AM
Keep us posted!

Rosco did very well! He ws very sulky last night, but was back to himself this morning! :thumbs up

Hunter's_owner
January 9th, 2007, 06:18 AM
Good to hear Scott:)

Colubridz that is great that the vet picked up on his puppy teeth like that. In the case that they do have to be manually removed, it will keep Duke from have to have surgery twice and will also save you money:thumbs up